Jack question. . . .

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Jack question. . . .

Postby Uncle Fester » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:03 pm

I have not seen this covered here, so here goes. . . .

What kind of jack do you use to lift your GL1500 ?

I was thinking about one of these , but not sure if it will work. This would be just for the next year, until I can afford a lift table.

http://t.harborfreight.com/automotive-m ... xI7wZK9KSM

Thoughts ?

Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Re: Jack question. . . .

Postby HALBUDD » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:20 pm

I have the same HF jack but its the steel one,it works ok for me just be careful where you place it under your bike, The 1200s had a good spot under them for the jack,the 1500s may need a little adapter to get between things.
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

celford30
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500A Aspencade

Postby celford30 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:45 am

I also have the steel model, and my bike has been up in the air for about for about three weeks (not recommended) and the first responder was correct on how tricky it can be positioning the lift. However, here are two things I learned the hard way. 1st always make sure your side stand is down before lowering your bike. It can be awkward explaining the dents in the side of your wife's car. 2nd practice lowering some weights before placing your bike up in the air, because if you don't release the pedal just right, the lift will drop your bike like it's hot (scary, which can also assist in placing dents along the side of your wife's car. I believe the steel lift is just as good as the aluminum model costing a lot less and if you look in just about any motorcycle magazine you can find HFT advertisement coupons for lifts with better discount then in their paper flyers.

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:30 am

I prefer the Pit Bull. J&S also makes a nice bike jack. I decided many years ago I would never trust my bike to the likes of HF jacks and similar priced units after nearly dropping my HD Wide Glide when my new "Horrible Fright" jack failed!!!!!!

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:17 am

I have an aluminum jack pretty much like the one you are looking at from Harbour Freight. Mine is a Nascar Advantage, purchase from our Canadian Tire stores here in Canada for about the same price. When I bought it, I researched them and found that the first one to hit the market was from a company called Torin, and that Costco also had one from a company called Crew Line. They were all about the same price, same weight, could lift up to 1500 lbs and were probably all manufactured in China under different names. They are all getting a bit hard to find now, but mine seems to be a pretty okay jack. I have had my GL1800 on it for up to six days while waiting for tires to be swapped over (had to order the tires). I agree that one needs to be careful lowering the bike or it comes down too fast, however, I have three steel jacks here also, one of which is ultra heavy duty (as well as ultra heavy) and they all need the same care when lowering the bike or they act too quickly. The only thing I can see that could be objectionable with the aluminum one, if made in china, is that you should not stick it in your mouth because of the possibility of lead in the paint. Otherwise, it works pretty well. It seems well made and solid.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:18 pm

I bought another brand lift from harbor freight, more solid feel with bike in air.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... OgodOSkAHQ

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:29 pm

Thank you for all the replys and links, i used the aluminum HF one ONLY to show the style jack I am thinking of. This was the first one to come up on my Google search. I will look in to it better, and do more research.
Thanks again for the replys and links.

I really want to get a work shed built and then I will get a lift table, as I would prefer the stability of a table over a jack.
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

bjatwood
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE
1973 CB750 K3
1970 CT70-HKO

Postby bjatwood » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:40 pm

Uncle Fester wrote: I would prefer the stability of a table over a jack.

I thought this same thing until I bought a jack similar to your picture link. I built a 1 car 12x24 garage for my bikes and tools and that space fills up quick with stuff and Bikes. So after building the garage and looking at lift tables. I deceided to get a MC jack, as the lift table will take up some valuable floor space that one can use. Where as the lift table is always there and in the way...
My .02 worth

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:06 pm

Interesting point and something to think about. . . . Thanks for your input.

wingit11
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade
1990 GL1500SE/California Sidecar Friendship III

Postby wingit11 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:43 am

I had a lift table for many years. Sure did come in handy but storage was an issue. Seemed I used it more as a work bench/junk collector more than I did as a lift table for the bike. When I got the second bike with sidecar it had to go as I did not have the room for it. Sold it in less than a day. I use one of those jacks for my GL1100 but unless I take the sidecar off of the GL1500 I can't use it for that. If I need to lift the sidecar rig I usually just put a floor jack under the corner I need to lift (placing carefully on a solid area).

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”