No driving lights?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
waituntilthebeep
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800
Black and Silver
Previously:
1989 GL1500
Wineberry Red
'01 Shadow 750
DOUBLE DARK SIDE #1467 on Michelin Primacy and BT45

No driving lights?

Postby waituntilthebeep » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:23 pm

I have done some searching and have not really found what I am looking for. I have an 89 GL1500 and it never had driving lights installed. It still has the knock outs in the fairing where they would have been installed. I want to add more front end lighting without adding more bracketry and what not to the exterior of the bike. Is there any suggestion of a set of lights to install in there that will give me lots of light to the road ( and directional enough to not blind other drivers like they do to me all the time) and preferably in LED?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: No driving lights?

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:00 pm

Absolutely!

From Add-On - they've shut down, so once stock in these runs out, they're gone. They come with halogen bulbs, but can be replaced with LED:

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500_ ... hts/83/455

Same kind of thing, these are from Show Chrome, also with halogen bulbs:

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500_ ... hts/83/321

The Show Chrome lights, but with 50-watt LED bulbs installed:

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500_ ... /83/195210

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Re: No driving lights?

Postby Dusty Boots » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:20 am

Only thing with those lights is that they do not project light down the road very far at all. Most of the brackets angle the lights so their beam of light shines down and to the side, (think signal indicator light) so they are mainly to make you be seen by oncoming traffic if you have them wired up to be on full time. They are also set too low on the bike to project a beam of light far enough ahead of the bike to be of much use for night riding. :(

You'll need to add some amount of bracketry to install a proper set of aux driving lamps if you want to project a beam of usable light down the road to aid you in night driving, if that is what you are after.
The higher they are installed, the further the beam will be projected down the road, so look to install them just under the main fairing and as far apart as possible.

Yes, there are some LED driving lamps that will project a usable beam of light, (quite expensive) but a set of PIAA H3 35W=60W Super White Halogen bulbs in a set of Aux driving lamps will work very well and not overdraw your stock alternator, as they only draw 35W, yet their output is the equivalent of a 60W bulb.

You'll have to decide to mount them in a either set of lamps fitted with a flood type glass lens, (projects a wider beam of light which helps light up the ditches) or a spot lens, which projects a narrower beam, more 'focused' to reach further down the road, but not much of the ditches at all.
With either one, you will have to spend a little bit of time to properly 'aim' the lamps when you 1st install them, but that is a pretty easy affair.

Myself, I went with the flood type of lens and it works very well, as I do quite a bit of riding during all hours of the night.

Dusty

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”