Question for the big boys. . .

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Question for the big boys. . .

Postby Uncle Fester » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:52 am

Okay, took the bike for a coffee run yesterday, went from N.W.Oklahoma City Ok to Palestine Tx, 700 miles round trip. . . got to know the bike better . One thing I learned, fast, is the stock seat SUCKS for a big guy like me on a long trip !

I come in at 6'2" tall & 300 pounds, and by the 150 mile mark each way, I felt like I was riding on a sheet metal seat ! Now this trip was done kind of hard and fast. . . Left at 8:00am, there by 2:00pm, two hours visiting and taking care of some business, the left there at 5:00pm, home by midnight, with a dinner stop on the way. . .

Any way, what seat do the bigger guys on here use? Did you add ortho gell ?

Thanks all in advance for any input or ideas. . .

Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

wingpilot08
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800-HPNA - 24,000+ miles
1988 Bunkhouse camping trailer
Darkside #1720

Re: Question for the big boys. . .

Postby wingpilot08 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:01 pm

I'm not quite the "big" 6" 212....the only thing I have ever used were the wood beads...I like them...have used them since I bought the bike!
08' GL1800-HPNA - Red 20,000+ miles
1988 Bunkhouse Trailer/Camper
Darkside #1720

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Postby Dusty Boots » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:31 pm

This was probably your longest mileage day so far, right?
You have to get your butt broke in. A couple more 500+ mi days within a month and your butt will start to get conditioned and used to it.

I'm 6' and probably 285 with my armoured riding gear on and I use a sheepskin pelt as it goes a long way to prevent sweating. ;)

Dusty

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:11 pm

I had not thought about a sheep skin, they do add some fluff, softening the harshness of some long miles. . . . I will look into one of those ASAP. I figure no matter what seat I get, I can use the pelt on it.
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

Postby golden highway » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:55 pm

You would think at 6 foot 300 pounds you would have plenty of padding. I am 6 foot 280 now, was up to 331 at one time and none of that was on my butt. One bike has a vinyl seat and the other has a cloth seat, padding seems the same but the cloth is much more comfortable for long trips. As suggested the sheep skin and breaking in your butt should be a big help. I found after a few days my seat starts to feel like concrete and I think if I added sheep shin it would help. I never found the jell all that comfortable.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:46 pm

One thing that never seems to get mentioned is butt cook. Basically that is what happens in some cases. The butt sweats some, and then cooks in it's own juices so to speak. Wicking underwear can help a lot. Both the beads and the sheepskin allow a bit of air circulation that the straight vinyl of the seat does not, and that helps in the same way. For me, it was a combination of a new seat, and the underwear that did the trick. I have LD Comfort underwear and an Ultimate seat. Corbin also has the same solution, but their seats are harder. For some, that is the trick. For me, it wasn't, as I found Corbin too hard for me. There are many more seats made, such as Mustang and Saddlemen, but I have not sat on any others than stock, Ultimate and Corbin, so I cannot speak about them. I can say this - both Ultimate and Corbin are pretty pricey.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:59 am

Im pretty much just going to echo Dusty Boots advice here. You do need to develop your "iron butt", it takes some time to "kill" those nerve endings. You really do want to ride a sheep, keeps your butt cool on a hot day, therefore less sweating and that means less of a chance of monkey butt, and warm on a cold day. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:44 pm

Speaking as another "Big Boy" (at 6' tall and 325#) I have found the best thing I can do it combine several tricks already mentioned and one that is not...

1) - Break in your butt with increasingly longer rides. Don't go out for a 600 miler the first day.
2) - I use sport type wicking underwear to keep the monkey chap away from my nether regions (Stay dry)
3) - Stop & stretch - Walk around when you can. Every fuel stop should be quick, but take a few steps around the bike.
4)- I have Highway pegs AND Mick-o-pegs as well as the standard foot pegs on my bike for a variety of positions. Being able to move around while riding increases circulation.
5) - I own (2) Diamond Custom Seats - Velour tops - custom fit and broke in to MY rear end. Expensive ? Yes... butt worth it.. 8-)

I have 2 Iron Butt Association Awards and many undocumented long distance days. Going 700 miles is an average day during riding season when I get out there so I know a bit of which I speak...

Here is my Diamond Seat after a new cover install a few years ago..

Here you can see the highway pegs and the Mick-o-pegs installed on the crash bar..

Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

Postby golden highway » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:13 pm

Wingsconsin wrote:Speaking as another "Big Boy" (at 6' tall and 325#) I have found the best thing I can do it combine several tricks already mentioned and one that is not...

5) - I own (2) Diamond Custom Seats - Velour tops - custom fit and broke in to MY rear end. Expensive ? Yes... butt worth it.. 8-)

Here is my Diamond Seat after a new cover install a few years ago..

That is the seat I have and it makes a big difference. I couldn't remember the name of it. If you are going to be doing a lot of long trips it is worth the money.

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:34 pm

I have the same problem, but mine is from having too much seat. Previous owner was 6'2" and 265 pounds. He invested in a Travelcade Touring seat for extra support. My fellow riders love my seat, but I need to down size to a Corbin so this short boy can tough the ground. Sheepskin makes the first couple hundred miles OK, after that it is tough. After riding 600 miles to Daytona I elected to walk the next day.

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:16 pm

I like the look of that Diamond seat, and the fact they build it to fit your size & build. . . Will have to call them in the morn and get a idea of cost. Thanks

sfrench1958
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500A Aspencade
2001 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Postby sfrench1958 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:46 am

I do not fit into your "big boy" category at 5'7" and 180# but do know a bit about those stock seats. My last bike was a 2001 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100 upon which I made two of the Iron Butt 1000 mile/24 hour runs both done on a stock Honda seat.

There are many things you can do without on a motorcycle, a comfortable seat is not one of them. I found a Corbin seat via craigslist for my wing and have been happily riding since. Last September I did a run from Shreveport, LA to Atlanta, GA for a conference. Just a four day trip with two of the days devoted to riding. Atop that Corbin all was good!

Regardless of the brand, the seat is the most important part of your bike as long as it is not stock which was designed much moreso for looks than it was for functionality. There are two little bones in your backside that will determine how happy your distance rides are, stock seats are not among the things that make them happy.

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:09 am

I would check out Hartco as well.Their seats can be pretty cheap and work really well.The wife and I both loved the one I had on the 1500.Every winter he puts a bunch up on e-bay.My buddy won the bid on one and after when he talked to the seller asked if he would sell another for the same price and he did.In the end he colour matched our bikes and made them to fit our weight and height.With a Utopia style backrest,velour inserts(better air flow) and a pass backrest cover the seat cost us $420.Here's a pict of the seat.

If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:29 am

sfrench1958 wrote:I do not fit into your "big boy" category at 5'7" and 180# but do know a bit about those stock seats. My last bike was a 2001 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100 upon which I made two of the Iron Butt 1000 mile/24 hour runs both done on a stock Honda seat.

There are many things you can do without on a motorcycle, a comfortable seat is not one of them. I found a Corbin seat via craigslist for my wing and have been happily riding since. Last September I did a run from Shreveport, LA to Atlanta, GA for a conference. Just a four day trip with two of the days devoted to riding. Atop that Corbin all was good!

Regardless of the brand, the seat is the most important part of your bike as long as it is not stock which was designed much moreso for looks than it was for functionality. There are two little bones in your backside that will determine how happy your distance rides are, stock seats are not among the things that make them happy.

I agree...I did a ride from Cleveland to Orlando and back last year, 20+ hours nonstop each way - about 1100 miles, and with the Corbin seat on my GL1500, I was not sore at all.

yamaha96
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500se aspencade, 1996 1300 yamaha royalstar

Postby yamaha96 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:46 am

i also have a saddleman seat, i wear LD Comfort shorts, but most important, i have been riding on an Air Hawk seat cushion for years, it is cloth on the out side ,that does not get hot in the summer, and an air bladder you blow up so you are floating on air about 5 lbs. ,give our take, and i normally only ride about 5-600 miles in a day, but have done more, have to watch the back, my weak link, anyway, as the Foodlion comercial says , That"s my 2 cents worth ! Mike, your Va. friend.

Wingsconsin

Postby Wingsconsin » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:47 pm

I think Hartco and Diamond are both owned by the same person now....

The seats are very similar with different stitching patterns - My buddy has a Hartco and it is very much like my Diamond

Uncle Fester wrote:I like the look of that Diamond seat, and the fact they build it to fit your size & build. . . Will have to call them in the morn and get a idea of cost. Thanks

Be sure you are sitting down when you get the price quote ... :o

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:05 pm

There is a used Hartco seat on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEAT-RED-HARTCO ... 30&vxp=mtr

tmilam
Motorcycle: 1989, GL1500

Postby tmilam » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:35 am

Saddleman Road Sofa!!

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:58 am

I almost regret asking the question now, all these good suggestions to look in to over the next few weeks ! Lol. Thank you all so much for the replies ! I will be doing alot of research over the next few weeks , maybe months, until I come up with what I hope will be the right one. . . Can not afford to buy one, say "Naw, don't like this one." time to buy another, and another, and so on. . . . The wife would KILL me ! Lol

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:15 pm

Start with the least expensive solutions, like underwear, sheepskins, beads etc. Then if they do not get you where you need to be, then think about a new seat. A seat change should be your last stand solution. It was for me. If we had had a seat rebuild place anywhere close, I would have tried that also, before buying a seat. This way, your less expensive options are still there to use, even if you do buy a seat.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

tmilam
Motorcycle: 1989, GL1500

Postby tmilam » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:16 pm

Uncle Fester wrote:I almost regret asking the question now, all these good suggestions to look in to over the next few weeks ! Lol. Thank you all so much for the replies ! I will be doing alot of research over the next few weeks , maybe months, until I come up with what I hope will be the right one. . . Can not afford to buy one, say "Naw, don't like this one." time to buy another, and another, and so on. . . . The wife would KILL me ! Lol

Come to Panhandle, Texas and I will let you ride the Road Sofa. I put it on this time last year and did 800 miles the first day. No sore spots or burn.

Wingsconsin

Postby Wingsconsin » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:22 pm

Come to Wisconsin and I will let you ride on a Diamond Custom seat in BLUE Velour....
But wait til it gets warmer... :?

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:20 pm

Uncle Festus,

I urge you to take your time and perhaps try some of the simpler things first. I have an 04 GL1800 and I still use the stock seat at 120,000miles. Either it is getting worn out or my butt is as I start feeling it after a couple hundred miles.

Years ago I had Yamaha Ventures and put a Corbin seat on one of them and it was good but with the second one I got a Russell Day Long Saddle. Absolutely the best seat I have ever sat in on a bike, car or chair. I am considering getting one for the Wing but am also considering updating to a newer bike so spending the money for the seat does not make sense. Just for the record I am 6ft 1in and 250. I have a 31inch inseam.

One thing I really like about the stock seat is the fact it is waterproof, wipe it off and get the surface dry and you can ride away and your pants won't get wet.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A
1997 GL1500SE Lehman Trike

Postby CrystalPistol » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:25 pm

Uncle Fester wrote:Okay, took the bike for a coffee run yesterday, went from N.W.Oklahoma City Ok to Palestine Tx, 700 miles round trip. . . got to know the bike better . One thing I learned, fast, is the stock seat SUCKS for a big guy like me on a long trip !

I come in at 6'2" tall & 300 pounds, and by the 150 mile mark each way, I felt like I was riding on a sheet metal seat ! Now this trip was done kind of hard and fast. . . Left at 8:00am, there by 2:00pm, two hours visiting and taking care of some business, the left there at 5:00pm, home by midnight, with a dinner stop on the way. . .
... etc ...

I gotta say ..... that's my dream ride for a "coffee run" someday.

Old style sheet metal tractor seats that conform to one's backside are usually pretty comfortable as long as you covered it before the sun came up .... and assuming no cracks to pinch.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”