Driving light mount

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Driving light mount

Postby Uncle Fester » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:11 pm

I was wondering if any one knows of a driving light mount kit that would put the just above or below the mirrors on my GL1500. I have seen them done this way on a Kawi Concourse , but never on a 'Wing. . . So, does any one know of one ?

As always, thanks in advance for any feed back.

Oh, just FYI, these are the lights I am thinking about using.

http://www.piaa.com/store/p/147-LP-530- ... t-Kit.aspx

Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Driving light mount

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:55 am

Uncle Fester wrote:I was wondering if any one knows of a driving light mount kit that would put the just above or below the mirrors on my GL1500. I have seen them done this way on a Kawi Concourse , but never on a 'Wing. . . So, does any one know of one ?

As always, thanks in advance for any feed back.

Oh, just FYI, these are the lights I am thinking about using.

http://www.piaa.com/store/p/147-LP-530- ... t-Kit.aspx

I haven't seen one, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be too hard to fabricate. The mirrors themselves bolt into a fairly secure part of the upper fairing frame, so if I were to do it, I would likely design a bracket that is sandwiched in between the mirrors and the frame.

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:28 pm

There is a good brief discussion about driving lights in this thread..

-->> viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16353&hilit=+lights
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:34 pm

Thanks for the link, some ideas there for me. I have a set of small lights mounted under the nose of the bike, and after market corner/fog lights that I plan to convert to LED to keep wattage use down.

I want the new lights to really LIGHT UP THE ROAD. Think back road, two lane highways late at night with no traffic around, thats why they are going up higher. I do like how you did the light spread on your lights, right side wider out, left center and forward. . .
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:38 pm

WingAdmin wrote:I haven't seen one, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be too hard to fabricate. The mirrors themselves bolt into a fairly secure part of the upper fairing frame, so if I were to do it, I would likely design a bracket that is sandwiched in between the mirrors and the frame.

I have been thinking about that too, but have not pulled the mirror off yet to see what the mounting area looks like to start designing and fabricating.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:52 pm

Uncle Fester wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:I haven't seen one, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be too hard to fabricate. The mirrors themselves bolt into a fairly secure part of the upper fairing frame, so if I were to do it, I would likely design a bracket that is sandwiched in between the mirrors and the frame.

I have been thinking about that too, but have not pulled the mirror off yet to see what the mounting area looks like to start designing and fabricating.

The three screw holes here are what the mirror mounts to:

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:11 pm

That helps as I was not sure how those mirrors mounted. . .

I am thinking a mount that comes out the bottom, bolted to the bottom two bolts, and makes a platform that would mount the light right in front of each mirror. That would put these lights higher than the head lights, giving them a good height for more distance.

What do you think ?

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”