The DIY Articles

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
sfrench1958
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500A Aspencade
2001 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

The DIY Articles

Postby sfrench1958 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:21 pm

I bought my 98 GL1500 Aspencade just over a year ago with 44,000 miles on her. I just finished replacing the headlight and position bulbs a few minutes ago. Yesterday I tackled the spark plugs and the timing belts, last weekend it was the air cleaner. In each of these cases I used the DIY articles on this site to complete the tasks.

The DIY articles are SPOT ON! The way they are put together, the order of the steps, the pictures, the instructions make all of these tasks much easier. I would really like to get my hands on the guy who thought it would be funny to put the air cleaner underneath the radio but he was probably thinking...radio on a motorcycle?

For those of you who, like me, are fairly new to the Gold Wing world and have to wrap your brains around the various tasks associated with maintaining one of these machines the DIY articles are well worth a visit. For the timing belt job I even took my laptop out to the garage so I could just scroll down thru each step to make sure I did everything in the correct order.

For those who (again, like me) get ahead of the instruction set...slow down and just do it as the articles are written. You will wind up going back and completing the skipped step anyway right after you discover why it was there to begin with. Case in point, why the heck did I need to expose the radiator cap to change the timing belts? Skip the step and you will find out!

Thanks WingAdmin, great job!

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Re: The DIY Articles

Postby Uncle Fester » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:25 pm

While I have not started doing any maintanance on my bike yet, I agree that those articals are some very well written, maybe the best written, articals I have seen. . . . To all the writers, THANK YOU !
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

hondageorge
Motorcycle: 1997 GL-1500SE
2005 Silverwing
1992 Honda 750
2004 Honda VTX 1300 S (for sale)
1970 CL-350 (original first bike)

1970 CB-350

Postby hondageorge » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:41 pm

We can't thank WingAdmin and the others enough. He would have had his Wing maintenance jobs done in 1/3 the time if he didn't have to photograph the steps for us. A picture is worth a thousand words certainly applies here. Not only are we doing it right because we are doing it ourselves, but these articles with excellent photographs have saved us countless dollars for labor and even provides great sponsor suggestions like CycleMax for replacement parts. All the above, I would not have known if it weren't for this site. I made a tentative date with a Goldwing rebuilder to have him watch & guide me through the Timing belt replacement procedure, as I thought it would be way over my head. After reading the DIY procedure, I too took my laptop outside and used it for a step by step guide. Needless to say, I did it alone and have the confidence to tackle most any DIY repair on my Goldwing and I can go slow and do it right. There are a lot of contributors on this site, and it makes me happy to have found a website like this, and hopefully I too will be able to give some back to all who have posted ideas and suggestions and encouragement. It's appreciated more then we can say in words.

amsoilguy
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby amsoilguy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:05 am

I agree! I have done a bunch of badly needed maintenance on my '88 since I got it 2 years ago and have used the how-to articles if they were available for that task. Timing belts, final drive, wheel removal, brakes, filters, etc. Couldn't have done it without the help.
Allan

'88 GL1500

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:06 pm

sfrench1958 wrote:I bought my 98 GL1500 Aspencade just over a year ago with 44,000 miles on her. I just finished replacing the headlight and position bulbs a few minutes ago. Yesterday I tackled the spark plugs and the timing belts, last weekend it was the air cleaner. In each of these cases I used the DIY articles on this site to complete the tasks.

The DIY articles are SPOT ON! The way they are put together, the order of the steps, the pictures, the instructions make all of these tasks much easier. I would really like to get my hands on the guy who thought it would be funny to put the air cleaner underneath the radio but he was probably thinking...radio on a motorcycle?

For those of you who, like me, are fairly new to the Gold Wing world and have to wrap your brains around the various tasks associated with maintaining one of these machines the DIY articles are well worth a visit. For the timing belt job I even took my laptop out to the garage so I could just scroll down thru each step to make sure I did everything in the correct order.

For those who (again, like me) get ahead of the instruction set...slow down and just do it as the articles are written. You will wind up going back and completing the skipped step anyway right after you discover why it was there to begin with. Case in point, why the heck did I need to expose the radiator cap to change the timing belts? Skip the step and you will find out!

Thanks WingAdmin, great job!

Thanks. :) I don't have magic knowledge of the steps beforehand - I have service manuals, but they are often sparse. I take pictures as I go along, but I often realize partway through a procedure, "oh crap, I should have done XXX before I did YYY" - so I make myself a mental note. Later, when I'm assembling the pictures, I reorder them to make sure the steps work correctly, and you don't discover the misstep the same way I did. :) Often I will combine a lot of procedures that I am doing at the same time, and it can take days (or weeks!) to finish them all. That's why you may see small inconsistencies from beginning to end - different tools, different parts taken apart, etc. Once in a rare while I will get to the "picture assembly" stage, and realize one of the pictures is badly out of focus. I'll then either try to find another picture from a different procedure that shows the same thing, or, worst case, go take things apart to take another picture!

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:33 pm

Take more than 1 picture each time...digital is nearly free...delete the bad ones...:)
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:49 pm

Wingsconsin wrote:Take more than 1 picture each time...digital is nearly free...delete the bad ones...:)

I do that normally, actually. Just once in a while a blurry one gets through all of the attempts. :)

T_birdman
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200I
1999 GL1500A

Postby T_birdman » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:16 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Wingsconsin wrote:Take more than 1 picture each time...digital is nearly free...delete the bad ones...:)

I do that normally, actually. Just once in a while a blurry one gets through all of the attempts. :)

I have used the DIY articles here to convert lamps to LED, reflectors to marker lights, marker lights to turn signals, add driver backrest, change filters, add speakers with fader control, add daytime driving lights, add trunk light, add power plate, oil and filter change, tips and tricks to make the bike look like new.....quite a few fixes and upgrades that would have cost a pretty penny if I had farmed the work out, so I'm taking the time to thank WingAdmin and all the other members and contributors for their time and efforts to make all our bikes the envy of other riders.

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:23 am

No point in re-writing all of the above comments again.

DITTO to all of the above !

Same here. I've used all these How-To's and the extensive forum to peek into, and fix, test, or otherwise probe the inner workings of my 1500. These pages are invaluable.
Thanks, to WingAdmin and all other contributors.
I am certain that my bike is in better condition than if I had sent it to a shop, to be worked on by a kid who is almost younger than the bike itself. And, I'm just as certain my wallet would be a whole lot liter than it usually is.

Thanks, All
JC

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:56 pm

Ditto on all the thanks. :D

If not for the info on this site, I wouldn't have known about the sub air and cruise air filters. At least not in time to replace them while they were exposed. :lol:
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

T_birdman
1999 GL1500A

Postby T_birdman » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:38 pm

OldZX11Rider wrote:Ditto on all the thanks. :D

If not for the info on this site, I wouldn't have known about the sub air and cruise air filters. At least not in time to replace them while they were exposed. :lol:

I just finished replacing my timing belts and couldn't have done it without this site, saved a pocket full of Kryptonite!

hondageorge
Motorcycle: 1997 GL-1500SE
2005 Silverwing
1992 Honda 750
2004 Honda VTX 1300 S (for sale)
1970 CL-350 (original first bike)

1970 CB-350

Postby hondageorge » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:11 pm

My '97 GL-1500SE ran very well when I bought it. When I asked the PO if he had a maint. log for the bike he looked confused? I even remember his reply. "This is a Goldwing, a very expensive motorcycle. I don't go looking for trouble." Being an "old" aviator/pilot, that wasn't sound advice to me for long life. Helped with the knowledge & great photos from this site, I began changing 17 yr old timing belts and found disintegrating sub & cruise filters and mouse nests built on top & inside of the air cleaner. On and on.....
He was correct though, it is an expensive motorcycle, and if by chance the Stealer services it, you'll really understand expensive. (notice I didn't say competent"..just expensive). And for the labor money I saved by doing the work myself so far, I've saved enough labor charges to pay for my next three tire change purchases.
I won't even count the satisfaction and confidence that everything humanly possible to protect my steed had been taken care of before the start of my cross country adventure. This site is the best! ..and I'm very grateful it exists for us to help each other. And our bikes thank you.
Oh,....and the last words I ever heard from a Stealer..."We don't work on bikes over 10 years old."
Armed with GoldWingDocs knowledge, I never needed to go back.

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:00 am

I've used the How-To articles to do maintenance on the last 3 Wings.
Not only has it saved money by doing it myself, I've become a lot more aware of how the bikes are supposed to be working and find things that the PO had screwed up.
I feel a lot more confident in being able to diagnose and repair on the side of the road should something ever happen.
Lord knows I've had the plastics off enough to get proficient. :D
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

T_birdman
1999 GL1500A

Postby T_birdman » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:41 am

hondageorge wrote:Oh,....and the last words I ever heard from a Stealer..."We don't work on bikes over 10 years old."
Armed with GoldWingDocs knowledge, I never needed to go back.

I heard the same crap from a very big shop out here, they don't work on bikes over10 years old. UNREAL!!!

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”