cassette radio problems

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
tugliz
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500
GHOST GREY

cassette radio problems

Postby tugliz » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:20 am

Hi all,
I have already several acticules with regards to the radio and clock not holding a preset information, I have being informed that the 5amp fuse in the fuse box is the problem ( the backup fuse)
The reason for my topic is:
1. Is this fuse in the fuse box next to relay housing, or is it behind the fuse box, and how do you access it.
2. the second part is. Can this also stop my cassette from working. The radio still works after I reset my station from am522 to fm, I still have good volumn, but i have notice that at the same time both the clock and radio station wouldnt stay as per what I have set, after turn the ignation off, and the cassette stop run.. When I turn the bike on and insert a tape in to it. The icon on the lcd shows a flashing cassette and a arrow.I have been told that the cassette is trying to rewind or fast forward, but nothing happens.
I havent yet looked at this fuse, which will be my job for the weekend, but if anyone has any throughts I would be very interested in hearing.

Love the web site, so much better than the others...Great job.
cheers
Tug ;)

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: cassette radio problems

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:43 pm

It is fuse 13 on the fuse block which is located under the left hand cover:

Unfortunately, it's tough to get to. On my bike I have to remove the left cover to expose the fuse block, then loosen the four bolts inside the left hand saddlebag so that I can pull it away slightly in order to give enough clearance to extract that fuse. Terrible design, obvious engineering by committee.

That fuse should have no effect on your cassette player - they are a mechanical device and are prone to failure without maintenance.

tugliz
GHOST GREY

Postby tugliz » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:25 pm

many thanks for the help, any idea where I would look at to see what is wrong with the cassette,
can you get parts and where?
again...many thanks for all the help
cheers
tug :D

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Postby HALBUDD » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:58 pm

Try and contact Sierra Electronics as they are the only people that will fix and repair radios for Goldwings. They usual charge a fixed fee not to much.
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:03 pm

Sierra Electronics charges a flat rate of $100 plus shipping on MOST repairs, if it will be more, they contact you BEFORE doing any work. . . . Shipping to Au might be a bit much.

http://www.sierra-mc.com
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

tugliz
GHOST GREY

Postby tugliz » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:11 am

hi all, may thanks for all the help, I would like to bring some additional information after taken the information from everyone I access the fuse and relay box.
As per the information, it seems that my model have some slight changes from the state models.

The back fuse is in the fuse housing and not in the relay box. You where very right with regards to the radio and the clock not keeping time due to the 5amp fuse being blown.

But with regards to the cassette. it fixed the problem and now works fine...So for the import Australian models...
1. if the cassette stop working, check this fuse
2. if the radio station and clock doesn't keep the correct time...check this 5amp fuse
3. The 5 amp is on the fuse box, as per the picture.

Again..may thanks for all the helpful information, it was very much appreciated. :D
Attachments
picture of the fuse block
picture of the fuse block

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:43 pm

Good to see that you got it fixed, and better that you let everyone know.

Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”