STARTER ISSUES 1997 1500SE

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
TYHOLLY1
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE GOLDWING

STARTER ISSUES 1997 1500SE

Postby TYHOLLY1 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:10 pm

I'm scratching my head big time right now.

I can only compression (push) start the bike - which I think is a no no in general. When I press and hold the start button all my lights go out and I hear a click (solenoid) and the starter makes a humming sound like it's bound up. I release the button and my lights come back on and voltage registers.

I should mention that over the winter months I would run the engine every once in a while to exercise things. - Most times I had to jump start it with my automotive battery charger. It seemed like it was fine to do - nothing out of the ordinary occurred.

At first I figured it's time for a battery so I ordered a new AGM and charged and installed it. Same results. So I proceeded to isolate the starter with 12v and still no change. Did this by putting positive jumper directly to the starter stud and grounding the negative jumper to the chassis. Starter just hums (no spinning). I pulled the starter out of the bike and bench tested it - it seemed to spin normally so I reinstalled the starter, hoping for some anomaly. Back to the humming. Removed the starter again and this time I took it to an armature repair shop where they tested it and said it seemed to be fine. They tried to simulate the load of cranking the engine by holding on to the star gear while they hit it with 12v. They felt like it was behaving normal.

Went home and reinstalled the starter, this time with all wires connected and battery installed. Hit the button and it just hummed again. Thinking that maybe something in the motor is to blame, I push started the bike and it came to life. The voltmeter read 14.7 initially so I took it for about an hour ride thinking that it would help charge the battery. While in neutral and engine running I tried reverse and it worked like a champ. Back in neutral with the engine going I pressed the start button and I heard the starter running - sounded exactly like it did when I was bench testing it.

I pulled the bike into the driveway and turned it off - went to restart it after the hour ride and it's back to the humming, no cranking. Now I'm frustrated big time. What did I miss?? My technical skills are average and I figured that my troubleshooting was correct. Do I take it to the dealer at this point?? They say $45 to look at it, and in the same breath - a new starter is over $600!! Is there something else you would suggest checking first??

Any input is appreciated - I've learned so much by reading posts. Thanks for your time in looking

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: STARTER ISSUES 1997 1500SE

Postby RBGERSON » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:36 am

Not an elec. guru but sounds like a bad circuit..not enough power getting to the starter..but the direct jump seems to negate that??? but check connections in the circuit. and for corrosion inside the wires??

Or bad safety circuit..tilt switch, reverse switch, in gear circuit?? all will stop the starter from spinning..but shouldn't humm either???

Just guessing...
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:40 pm

If I got 14.7 volts at battery with bike running I'm looking at alternator for bad regulator. What was voltage of battery after it is bench charged, need to have it load tested. High voltage is cooking the battery, not charging. Somewhere in the area of 1 hour is run time on battery alone before bike won't run.

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby ct1500 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:54 pm

What other work has been done to bike?

Are you sure the humming noise heard is not the starter spinning? If reverse works the starter is turning and should be good. The only other thing could be something broken under the rear cover such as the starter one way clutch or the gearing for starting. Reverse uses separate gearing off starter that swings into place via the lever cabling.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

TYHOLLY1

Postby TYHOLLY1 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:36 pm

Now I'm really puzzled. I put the charger on for 5 seconds at 200 amps and hit the start button. She spun like new and the bike started. SO - I turned it off and removed the cables. Hit the start button and she fired up again!! Now each time I try the start button, without jumping it, it is starting. The ONLY difference between what I did just now and what I was trying last night was the power outlet where I had my charger plugged into. Embarrassing because I know better, last night it was plugged into my workbench powerstrip. It dawned on me that I needed to get away from cords/adapters and plug it right into a duplex outlet. But only 5 seconds??? and now it's starting every time??? I even turned the key on and let it sit with lights on for 30 seconds before hitting the start and it STILL starts!!! With no hesitation like voltage loss.

When I said voltmeter reading 14.7 that was just what my display was reading at the time - not from an actual voltmeter. I was just on my way to go get one when the epiphany about more direct AC to my charger came to me. I'm still going to get one because the post about high alternator output got me thinking.

I bought the wing last year and the previous chap literally purchased and installed every possible chrome bar/light package available. I took most off because my wife said I looked like a UFO from behind. The alternator hasn't been removed by me for testing but I will be checking the output as soon as I can.

Thank you all for your posts - sometimes it helps to have another's view after you have stared at a problem long enough. I'd say more, but my bike starts and runs and I need another ride!!! Thanks again

TYHOLLY1

Postby TYHOLLY1 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:20 pm

UGHH!!!! Just went to fuel the bike and it started like normal at the gas station. I get home to park it and I shut it off while I moved another vehicle out of the way. When I went to start it again it made a tiny groan and started doing the same as before. Solenoid is clicking but the starter isn't turning. It has to be something with the starter motor. Even jump starting isn't working now. Perhaps it's heat related - I'm really not sure. I'll look on ebay for starters unless some of you would recommend otherwise. My local Honda dealer is out of his mind asking for over $600.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:53 am

Sure soundness lien a bad connection someplace that comes and goes..
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:13 am

Put a multimeter across the battery terminals. Read the voltage at rest, then turn the bike on, read the voltage again. Then hit the starter and read the voltage while it is making the "humming" noise once more. Report those back to us.

My money is on a bad battery.

Also, your really shouldn't start the bike occasionally to "exercise" it. The bike is not a muscle, it does not need exercising. Because you are not getting the bike up to normal operating temperature (which only happens when out riding for some time, not just sitting and idling), moisture is not evaporated, and you end up rusting your exhaust out from the inside.

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby ct1500 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:14 am

200A? You are lucky the battery did not explode. Please follow accepted diagnostic/repair procedure.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

TYHOLLY1

Postby TYHOLLY1 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:24 pm

Thanks for all the input - I'm learning quite a bit with this one. Just something a little interesting - Went out this morning and started it, no problem. Ran a couple of errands and left it running while in and out. Came home and parked it - tried to restart and nothing. I'll go over your suggestions. A couple of quick replies: I fat fingered the 200 amp part - it was a 20 :lol: , Haven't tested the battery with voltmeter yet cuz I have it at work but will test is later this evening. It was a brand new AGM from cycleworks. All my connections (visible) are secure - haven't opened up the starter to look for something loose inside. That will be my next task before replacing anything. Odd that it starts when the bike is cold but won't restart after I've been on it for a while. Interesting on letting it run in the off season - didn't think about moisture. I had developed quite a puddle of coolant under the bike this winter so I would run it to check for leaking areas. I'll invest in a battery tender for when it sits.

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:43 pm

First off just because the connections are tight doesn't meen that they are a good connection.They really need to be pulled apart,cleaned and then tightened(corrosion).2nd most people neglect the ground side of the starter circuit.Make sure your cable from the motor to the frame and the cable from the frame to battery are good as well.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

TYHOLLY1

Postby TYHOLLY1 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:31 pm

Good idea - I'll check the ground side as well. Especially to the frame. No excessive corrosion - in fact - I'll try to attach some pics so y'all can see.

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:08 am

TYHOLLY1 wrote:Good idea - I'll check the ground side as well. Especially to the frame. No excessive corrosion - in fact - I'll try to attach some pics so y'all can see.

Like I said just because it looks OK doesn't meen it is good.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

fred40fl
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 se

Postby fred40fl » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:32 am

robb wrote:If I got 14.7 volts at battery with bike running I'm looking at alternator for bad regulator. What was voltage of battery after it is bench charged, need to have it load tested. High voltage is cooking the battery, not charging. Somewhere in the area of 1 hour is run time on battery alone before bike won't run.

check your starter solenoid i had same problem while back. starter solenoid by the battery
check volts on battery

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade 4Sale soon
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Postby Charlie1Horse » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:09 pm

I would say it is the starter clutch inside the rear engine cover but, as this thread is two years old I would think it has been repaired by now and the owner has not informed us as to just what was found.
Russell

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:24 pm

Be nice to know how this turned out. Back in my younger, wilder days I remember having starting problems with a couple of the big block Chevrolets I had.
After sitting all night, they would start right up. If I drove 10 or 15 minutes, like to a store, and shut'em down, they'd start right up when I left.
If I ran for a half hour, or more, or engaged in a little street racing, when I shut it down, I had to park on a little hill or plan on staying for a while.
Those things would not start when hot. Didn't matter how fresh a tune up it had or where I'd set the timing. Was very frustrating. But l loved that power! :lol:

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”