Changing The Shifter Oil Seal. HELP

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
mash71
Motorcycle: 2012 Goldwing

Changing The Shifter Oil Seal. HELP

Postby mash71 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:23 pm

The step by step instructions for doing this is great but, there is one thing missing,
How do you get the shifter shaft off when it hits the frame? My shaft will not fit between the short shaft and the frame. I am about 1/8 inch off. The only thing I can see would be to take the motor mount lose along with the frame bolted to the swing arm and MAYBE there would be enough room to remove the shifter shaft.
ANY IDEAS?

Thanks in advance

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Re: Changing The Shifter Oil Seal. HELP

Postby cbx4evr » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:34 am

That problem has been experienced and I think it was mentioned in the original thread. If I recall your idea was how it was addressed.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

mash71
Motorcycle: 2012 Goldwing

Postby mash71 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:28 pm

Update on my problem. With help from my friend, we took out the 2 bolts by the swing arm, removed the bolt from the engine mount. With a small pry bar I was able to move the frame out just enough for the shifter shaft to come out. WHOO HOO!!!!!! :D

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:37 pm

Congrats on getting it done, I am thinking I need to do mine, as well as the shift stabilizer mod thing as my shifts are getting clunky and I keep smelling hot oil, but the level is good when I check it.

Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”