Trailer Light Harness Install

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
TheChief
Motorcycle: 1992 Yamaha Venture Royale, 2003 Harley 883 Sportster, 1999 Goldwing Aspencade SE GL-1500

Trailer Light Harness Install

Postby TheChief » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:17 am

I have a 1991 Yamaha Venture Royale with a Voyager trike kit. The Voyager is wired for combination tail/brake/turn signals. Splicing into the VR lights was a snap because the individual circuits were easily identifiable and easy to get to.

Now to the "problem". Recently I bought a 1999 GL-1500 Aspencade SE. I have the Voyager belly bracket and axle brackets installed. I have the factory shop manual, but it does not clearly show me where I can splice into the lighting circuits.

I want this to be a clean installation, and I really don't want to splice into the lights in the trunk. What I'd like to do is make the splices under the seat. I see two large wire runs on either side under the passenger seat. Do I have to splice into each run, or just one?

Thanks.

Cliff Hipsher
ICC USN (Ret.)
'03 883 XLH
'91 Yamaha Venture Royale
'99 Honda Goldwing Aspencade SE
I.A.M.B.K.
Safety is NO accident.
I Ride. Therefore I am....

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Re: Trailer Light Harness Install

Postby robb » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:35 am

TheChief
Motorcycle: 1992 Yamaha Venture Royale, 2003 Harley 883 Sportster, 1999 Goldwing Aspencade SE GL-1500

Postby TheChief » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:31 am

Thanks for the link. This harness looks good, but I'm still wondering where it gets connected to the bike. And I'm assuming I connect my 5 to 4 converter harness to this?
Cliff Hipsher
ICC USN (Ret.)
'03 883 XLH
I.A.M.B.K.
Safety is NO accident.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:07 am

The plug and play connects to the tail light connectors inside the trunk lower cover. You will have to fish the cable down inside the saddlebag framework. I installed the converter inside the center rear reflector below the license plate. There is a box behind the reflector that will hold it.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Postby Dusty Boots » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:42 am

TheChief wrote:Thanks for the link. This harness looks good, but I'm still wondering where it gets connected to the bike. And I'm assuming I connect my 5 to 4 converter harness to this?

Yes ... and Yes!

This Isolated trail wiring harness kit is a 'Plug n Play' item, that plugs into the appropriate red connectors under your trunk (good instructions included)
Hint: there is the feed wire that connects to the battery. I would cut out the in-line glass fuse holder (always a source of problems with age) and replace with an in-line ATO/ATC type fuse holder soldered and heat shrink tubing used over the soldered joints

It's a simple matter of hooking up to the red stop/tail/turn signal connectors under the trunk

Then connect the 5 - 4 wire converter to it, soldering the connections and using shrink tube over the soldering joints.

I've got that combination secured and tucked away on top of the rear fender, by the license plate light .....

I also encased all the wiring to the plug end in a sheath of heavy vinyl (you can use a piece of properly sized heat shrink tubing) and the secured that end with lots of zip ties down along the saddlebag stay, to near the receiver hitch, allowing enough slack to make a non binding connection to the trailer's plug end.

Dusty

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:50 am

Most excellent pictorial Dusty.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

TheChief

Postby TheChief » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:06 am

Dusty Boots wrote:
TheChief wrote:Thanks for the link. This harness looks good, but I'm still wondering where it gets connected to the bike. And I'm assuming I connect my 5 to 4 converter harness to this?

Yes ... and Yes!

This Isolated trail wiring harness kit is a 'Plug n Play' item, that plugs into the appropriate red connectors under your trunk (good instructions included)
Hint: there is the feed wire that connects to the battery. I would cut out the in-line glass fuse holder (always a source of problems with age) and replace with an in-line ATO/ATC type fuse holder soldered and heat shrink tubing used over the soldered joints

It's a simple matter of hooking up to the red stop/tail/turn signal connectors under the trunk

Dusty

Dusty:

The Cyclemax adapter was recommend to me by someone on another Wing forum, so I already have that on order. I already have a 5 to 4 harness exactly like I used on my Venture Royale. I also have a spare fuse holder, so it looks like I'm all set. Thanks for the pictorial. It shows me exactly what I wanted to know.

Ride Safe.
Cliff Hipsher
ICC USN (Ret.)
'03 883 XLH
I.A.M.B.K.
Safety is NO accident.

TheChief

Postby TheChief » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:09 am

What a nightmare! I got the Cyclemax isolator installed and functioning. However, my Hopkins Electronic 5 to 4 wire adapter will only pass power to the tail lights. No turn signals, no brake lights, no flashers. If I connect the isolator to a 4 wire pigtail I can get tail and brake, or tail and turn signals/flasher, but I cannot get all three.

The only other thing is, I did not have the Voyager bolted to the Wing, I just backed it up to the bike and plugged in the lights. The lights worked when I had the Voyager on my Yamaha Venture Royale. The VR is a 5 wire system, and all I had to do was splice in a 5 to 4 converter and everything worked. If the weather is not too bad I'll back the Voyager up the the VR and see if the lights still work. If they do, then I'm stumped...

Just for the sake of asking, is this a ground issue? Do I need to bolt the Voyager to the Wing?
Cliff Hipsher
ICC USN (Ret.)
'03 883 XLH
I.A.M.B.K.
Safety is NO accident.

TheChief

Postby TheChief » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:35 pm

I figured out the problem: The Hopkins 46155 converter is biased backwards. I used a DVM in Ohms mode to check the converter and here is what I found:

1. White (ground) and Brown (tail lights) are straight through. I read continuity in both directions.
2. Yellow (left turn) Red (brake), and Green (right turn) present a semiconductor junction. If I put the Positive meter lead at the plug (female) end, and the Negative meter lead to the pig tail side, the meter reads continuity. If I reverse the meter leads, the meter reads an open circuit.

So, when I connect the pig tail leads to the Cyclemax isolator, the isolator is outputting +12 volts, which passes through the tail circuit and is blocked by the turn and brake circuits.

The sad part is I can't turn the f'n thing around because I want to convert 5 wires to 4, not 4 wires to 5, and I can't take it back because I hacked up the 4 wire extension cable that comes in the kit.

But, there are two things I can do:

1. I can "steal" the converter out of my Venture Royale (I know that one works...). Shoulda done that in the first place...
2. And I can warn Y'All about this POS. So fellas, don't even think about using a Hopkins 46155 converter.
Cliff Hipsher
ICC USN (Ret.)
'03 883 XLH
I.A.M.B.K.
Safety is NO accident.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:59 pm

TheChief wrote:I figured out the problem: The Hopkins 46155 converter is biased backwards. I used a DVM in Ohms mode to check the converter and here is what I found:

1. White (ground) and Brown (tail lights) are straight through. I read continuity in both directions.
2. Yellow (left turn) Red (brake), and Green (right turn) present a semiconductor junction. If I put the Positive meter lead at the plug (female) end, and the Negative meter lead to the pig tail side, the meter reads continuity. If I reverse the meter leads, the meter reads an open circuit.

So, when I connect the pig tail leads to the Cyclemax isolator, the isolator is outputting +12 volts, which passes through the tail circuit and is blocked by the turn and brake circuits.

The sad part is I can't turn the f'n thing around because I want to convert 5 wires to 4, not 4 wires to 5, and I can't take it back because I hacked up the 4 wire extension cable that comes in the kit.

But, there are two things I can do:

1. I can "steal" the converter out of my Venture Royale (I know that one works...). Shoulda done that in the first place...
2. And I can warn Y'All about this POS. So fellas, don't even think about using a Hopkins 46155 converter.

The 5 to 4 adapter is just a little connector with a couple of diodes inside it, as you've discovered. You could do the same thing if you wanted - go buy some diodes and make your own, it's not hard. Does your trailer have LEDs on it?

TheChief

Postby TheChief » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:04 am

Yep, my VOYAGER Trike kit has LED Stop/Turn/Brake lights and they worked fine with my Venture Royale. The VR is going up for sale, so I'll just take the harness out of it and put it on the Wing.

What tightens my jaws is the packaging and instructions for this "bad" converter specifically states it is for converting a 5 wire tow vehicle system to a 4 wire trailer system. Somewhere along the line this converter (and I would assume many others) were miss-assembled and not properly QA'd. The end result is I have a garage queen. I'm not a happy camper....
Cliff Hipsher
ICC USN (Ret.)
'03 883 XLH
I.A.M.B.K.
Safety is NO accident.

TheChief

Re: Trailer Light Harness Install DONE!!!

Postby TheChief » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:34 pm

I bit the bullet and bought a new 5 to 4 converter like the one on my Venture Royale. The lights are working, the bike is back together, and the Voyager kit is bolted on. I did an "official" roll out today... :D
Cliff Hipsher
ICC USN (Ret.)
'03 883 XLH
I.A.M.B.K.
Safety is NO accident.

TheChief

Postby TheChief » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:42 pm

Here she is....
1999 GL-1500 Voyager Trike
1999 GL-1500 Voyager Trike
Cliff Hipsher
ICC USN (Ret.)
'03 883 XLH
I.A.M.B.K.
Safety is NO accident.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:56 pm

Hey Chief, that looks quite fine. The weather caught up yet? Then you will be able to wash and polish it some more. :roll:
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

TheChief

Postby TheChief » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:21 am

Thanks Bro.

We've had a couple of good days, but now that I have the bike road worthy, its f'n raining. The same thing happens when I get some new astronomy gear, or when I've finished a mod on one of my R/C aircraft (one helicopter and two quad rotor jobs). I can deal with cold weather, but when it's wet I stay home. Too many texting brain dead cagers around here, and when it raining they are worse.

This poor thing does need a bath too. I'm not a trophy polisher (had my share of "bright work" duty in the Navy), but I do like to keep my stuff clean.

Ride Safe.
Cliff Hipsher
ICC USN (Ret.)
'03 883 XLH
I.A.M.B.K.
Safety is NO accident.

hondageorge
Motorcycle: 1997 GL-1500SE
2005 Silverwing
1992 Honda 750
2004 Honda VTX 1300 S (for sale)
1970 CL-350 (original first bike)

1970 CB-350

Postby hondageorge » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:42 pm

Just ran into the same converter problem with my 97 1500SE with the 5 to 4 tail light converter with a Hopkins Adapter 48915. I called Hopkins tech support (800-835-0129) and they confirmed it will only work one way...with the 5 wire on the TRAILER. Their LED converter #48895 works the same (one) way with the 5 wire being on a trailer, not the towing vehicle. The knowledgeable tech support guy said they don't make a converter for 5 wire motorcycles. (or any 5 wire tow vehicle to 4 wire trailer)
Hoping WingAdmin will jump in here and post a simple wiring diagram sketch for making a simple Goldwing 5 wire to trailer 4 wire converter so we can double check our work to be sure we don't let any of the smoke out.
My little Harbor Freight trailer has LED tail/stop/signal lights and I got some diodes left from my Goldwing saddlebag tail/signal light conversion. I kept my original GW signal lights incandescent so feeding my HF LED trailer should be a bit more straight forward..hopefully. As always, sure appreciate everyone's help.

TheChief

Postby TheChief » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:12 pm

Hopkins does make a 5 wire to 4 wire converter that is LED compatible for a tow vehicle.

5 to 4 Converter
5 to 4 Converter

This one comes with a 4 wire cable and a 4 Flat plug on one end, and it has 5 wires to connect to the tow vehicle lights on the other end. I have one wired directly into the lights on my Yamaha Venture Royale, and I have one wired to a Cyclemax isolator on my '99 Wing.
Cliff Hipsher
ICC USN (Ret.)
'03 883 XLH
I.A.M.B.K.
Safety is NO accident.

hondageorge
Motorcycle: 1997 GL-1500SE
2005 Silverwing
1992 Honda 750
2004 Honda VTX 1300 S (for sale)
1970 CL-350 (original first bike)

1970 CB-350

Postby hondageorge » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:12 pm

thanks Chief, I'm going to check it out this week-end. My local Northern tools luckily has a vast assortment of Hopkins tow adapters. Maybe that Hopkins tech support wasn't so knowledgeable as I thought, in telling me that they didn't make a 5 to 4 adapter. So happy you included a picture (worth a thousand words) so I could identify one on the store shelf. I'm trying to do the same thing on my 97 1500se, using a CycleMax isolator to a 5 to 4 adapter into my HF trailer. I'd like to learn the diode set-up thing so I can make my own 5 to 4 adapter too.

TheChief

Postby TheChief » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:15 pm

No problem Brother. Let me know how it goes.

Cliff Hipsher
ICC USN (Ret.)
'03 883 XLH
I.A.M.B.K.
Safety is NO accident.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”