Tires

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
dale4ster
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE Goldwing

Tires

Postby dale4ster » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:54 pm

Can I put radial tires on my 1996 GL1500SE gold wing.

dlfierce
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500

Re: Tires

Postby dlfierce » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:39 pm

If you can find the correct size then you can substitute radials for bias ply tires, but I believe you have to change both front and back to the same (radial or bias). I am in the process of replacing my tires on my 89 GL1500 and am looking at putting on the Dunlop E3's again (got 26,000 Kms out of the last set) but cannot find a radial for the rear tire so am probably going back to the Bias ply tires.

dale4ster
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE Goldwing

Postby dale4ster » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:25 am

Can you put the next size wider on the rear. Not sure how much wider it would be. For clearance

dlfierce
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500

Postby dlfierce » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:37 am

There is another post on here in which they are putting car tires on the rear of the gold wing and supposedly are getting the clearance, also much greater tire life. However I personally have not tried this and am not sure if I want to at this time.

Bigbiker0
Motorcycle: 1997 gl 1500 se

Postby Bigbiker0 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:47 am

you can compare different size of tires using http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php
Drive safely Heaven do not exist.

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:56 pm

I had an interesting chat online with a Shinko tire representative - Here is the text from that chat
His responses are in RED

SE890 JOURNEY TOURING
STREET / CRUISER TIRE
Designed for larger touring bikes and cruisers, The SE890 Journey touring radial features a versatile all-weather tread pattern.
• Econmically priced without sacrificing quality
• Excellent ride and load carrying capabilities
• Aramid belted radial construction
• Tread compound designed for optimal grip and good mileage
• Available in sizes for the Honda Valkyrie, and Honda GL1500 and GL1800 Gold Wing models

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
According to your website (excerpted above) these tires are approved for use on a GL1500 Goldwing motorcycle. The GL1500 normally uses BIAS ply tires? However This tire is a Radial ? Are you really advertisiing this tire for the GL1500 or is this a mistake. Please advise as I am considering this for my 1996 GL1500 Aspencade

We say we have fitment for the GL1500. That means we manufacture the size of tire that originally came on that machine. We understand that the 15 came with bias ply and we leave the decision up to the customer whether or not to change to a radial. What I can say is that many people have used these on their GL1500’s and absolutely loved them! Even though the machine was designed for bias ply tires it doesn’t mean you CAN’T put radials on. A radial tire is more performance minded and is more flexible than a bias. So if your machine was designed with bias ply you just have to make modifications to accept the radial such as stiffening up the suspension. I hope this info helps and if you’d like please feel free to give me a call and I can help further explain this. .

Currently my GL1500 has stiffer than OEM suspension. As you may know the Goldwing GL1500 had softer suspension as OEM designed to make them absorbs bumps more
MY Wing has Progressive Front Springs and the Progressive 450 IAS shock on the rear combined with the air assisted OEM shock I can run it stone stiff or plush as I see fit.
So if I had these Journey SE890 tires I would stiffen the suspension to match the softness of the radial tires...?
What is the load rating of the SE890's - I missed that on the website.

Awesome! Those Progressive shocks make all the difference in the world! Yes, stiffen the suspension slightly to accommodate the radials.
Load ratings are as follows: Front load index 63 or 600lbs and rear load index 81 or 1019lbs, so combined weight of 1619 lbs

Sam
This has been an enlightening conversation and exchange thus far and I appreciate your time.
Do you have any field reports on tire longevity on the Goldwing? Approx expected miles before replacement?
I know conditions change bike to bike and all, however when I could get the Michelin Pilot GTs (which were the best tire I ever used on my GL1500) I averaged 16,500 miles per set over 4 sets I used...
My buddy & I have been trying different tires since them to find an acceptable mix of performance and longevity.
Bridgestones handle well, but burn up in under 10K
Avon Venoms last , but are too hard
Dunlop EIIIs last but slip a bit and are noisy.

I have used Shinko on a GS650 I restored this past year and liked them (Tourmaster 230's). But I sold the bike before I put any miles on them (about 300 total) .

Your thoughts please ?

Yes mileage is a tough one. What I can say is that on average I hear reports of anywhere from 8-12k. I’ve also heard of people wearing them out in 6 and cases that have lasted as long as 22,000. Most important thing about tire longevity is tire pressure. Shinko tires are designed to be run at no less than 4-5lbs below max air pressure and if run lower than that they can wear twice as fast as they should.

Read more: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=20532&p=112672#p112672#ixzz2xBtaiuwC
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous-(2018 cannonball scoot)

Postby minimac » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:25 pm

As dlfierce stated, some use a car radial on the rear. I am one of them. I chose to use the Austone which is little bit taller than the stock tire on the 1500. I didn't have any issues with it rubbing. I chose that tire because it is a six ply radial with a STIFF sidewall. It works well with a bias front tire, but after a month I changed my front to a radial also. I chose the Bridgestone Excedra Max radial and the handling improvement was significant. One caution though, if your front end, i.e.,shocks, springs, bearings, oil, etc., are not in good shape, you will notice it and you won't be happy.

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:55 pm

dale4ster wrote:Can you put the next size wider on the rear. Not sure how much wider it would be. For clearance

I just put a 195-55-16 car tire on my 97 1500SE. The mounted tire measured in at 6 -15/16" wide and I have enough clearance, not much but enough. 8-)

Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”