If you're gonna get a Voyager Kit...

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
TheChief
Motorcycle: 1992 Yamaha Venture Royale, 2003 Harley 883 Sportster, 1999 Goldwing Aspencade SE GL-1500

If you're gonna get a Voyager Kit...

Postby TheChief » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:24 pm

I have one that I took off of our Yamaha Venture Royale. To put it on my "new" '99 GL-1500 I had to buy the belly bracket and mounting hardware from MTC: http://www.mtcvoyager.com/ Total cost (Including shipping to Richmond VA) was $720.00.

While I was doing the install I ran into a couple of snags.

First, the left side belly bracket mount would not clear an oil line:
Oil line interference....
Oil line interference....

To get it to clear the line I had to loosen the attachment point on the upper rear of the valve cover and tweak the line up about 1/8".

On the right side you have to remove the starter solenoid to get the new motor mount bolt in. The problem is, with the right belly bracket mount installed the solenoid will not go back into its rubber holder.... I zip tied it down.. A better mount is in the works....

When I got everything bolted up, the bike leaned to the left... Fortunately, MTC provides washers to use as shims. The bad part is you have to take the belly bracket apart.... But it works.

This isn't really a snag, but I think the instructions are bass-ackwards. MTC wants you to take the center stand off first, install the belly bracket, install the supplied leveling jacks to hold the bike up, and then use a bottle jack to hold the swing arm up while you remove the rear axle and install the axle mounts. I didn't do it that way.

I put the bike on the center stand, pulled the axle, installed the axle mounts, put the bike on the side stand, removed the center stand (one small cotter pin on the right side...) and installed the belly bracket. Much easier....

Here she is, ready to ride....
'99 GL-1500 Voyager...
'99 GL-1500 Voyager...

Cliff Hipsher
ICC USN (Ret.)
'03 883 XLH
'91 Yamaha Venture Royale
'99 Honda Goldwing Aspencade SE
I.A.M.B.K.
Safety is NO accident.
I Ride. Therefore I am....

coolhandsbob
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager Conversion Kit

Re: If you're gonna get a Voyager Kit...

Postby coolhandsbob » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:13 am

TheChief wrote:I have one that I took off of our Yamaha Venture Royale. To put it on my "new" '99 GL-1500 I had to buy the belly bracket and mounting hardware from MTC: http://www.mtcvoyager.com/ Total cost (Including shipping to Richmond VA) was $720.00.

While I was doing the install I ran into a couple of snags.

First, the left side belly bracket mount would not clear an oil line:
IMG_0136.JPG

To get it to clear the line I had to loosen the attachment point on the upper rear of the valve cover and tweak the line up about 1/8".

On the right side you have to remove the starter solenoid to get the new motor mount bolt in. The problem is, with the right belly bracket mount installed the solenoid will not go back into its rubber holder.... I zip tied it down.. A better mount is in the works....

When I got everything bolted up, the bike leaned to the left... Fortunately, MTC provides washers to use as shims. The bad part is you have to take the belly bracket apart.... But it works.

This isn't really a snag, but I think the instructions are bass-ackwards. MTC wants you to take the center stand off first, install the belly bracket, install the supplied leveling jacks to hold the bike up, and then use a bottle jack to hold the swing arm up while you remove the rear axle and install the axle mounts. I didn't do it that way.

I put the bike on the center stand, pulled the axle, installed the axle mounts, put the bike on the side stand, removed the center stand (one small cotter pin on the right side...) and installed the belly bracket. Much easier....

Here she is, ready to ride....
IMG_0145.JPG

Hi I have a Voyager Kit on a 2000 wing I was wondering if you get much rock side to side .

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Postby trike lady » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:38 pm

I had one on my 1500 and I had the pre-load set with 3/4" plate under the rear wheel, 41 psi in both tires (bike), 45 on the rear air shocks and 20 psi in the Voyager tires. This worked for me with mine. To take the rocking motion (side to side) you may want to increase the pre-load on the Voyager.
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

coolhandsbob
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager Conversion Kit

Postby coolhandsbob » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:51 pm

Thanks for the reply Trike Lady i know we talked before . unless im setting up preload wrong I already went to a 3/4 inch my air shocks are right up but i dont think my bike tire pressure is that high i'm going to take a run down to one of the distributors soon to see what they think. maybe its just me but at least after i see a shop that installs them i will feel better . Got about 15,000 km since installed .

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”