tips for iPOD UPGRADE to 1500 radio-suggestions 4BETTERmusic

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
CaptainDave
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE Goldwing

tips for iPOD UPGRADE to 1500 radio-suggestions 4BETTERmusic

Postby CaptainDave » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:31 pm

1- our 1500 97 SE cassette player DOES NOT WORK - radio ok ... who knows the best place to buy/fix/repair ipod upgrade to the 1500 radio ... (why repair the casette when I can get better sound with ipod / wifi set up) is this the right idea for GOOD MUSIC on the bike ...

2- I need to replace both front speakers in 1500 97 SE ... any links - pics - graphics - tips ?

3 - so I thought I would CHANGE THE BULBS while I was in there (per your suggestions the other way) ... so I could use ANY INFO and pics and links and charts you have - thanks Capt D - retired pls10@hotmail.com - anyone in So CA who has done this before ?

4- anyone know a GOOD MORAL 1500 MECHANIC in So CA ?

;-)

nice to meet you ... all the best ...

- come ride with us up in the beautiful San Bernardino Mountains in sunny southern Calif

Captain D - retired
Lake Arrowhead, CA
Goldwing 1500SE rider

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Re: tips for iPOD UPGRADE to 1500 radio-suggestions 4BETTERm

Postby robb » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:14 pm

Easiest way is to buy a cassette adapter.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid= ... &_from=R40

Read the other posts, but have known the adapter to work even when it would not turn a normal cassette. Cheap chance.

wingpilot08
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800-HPNA - 24,000+ miles
1988 Bunkhouse camping trailer
Darkside #1720

Postby wingpilot08 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:25 pm

Try this link...need to open the radio and have soldering skills...

http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5316
08' GL1800-HPNA - Red 20,000+ miles
1988 Bunkhouse Trailer/Camper
Darkside #1720

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:44 pm

Ok, first off, you said the cassette does NOT work, correct ?

Go to these guys, they can fix your cassette , replace your radio lights with LEDs, and add a AUX input. Personally I am going with Aux input and LEDs, to heck with the cassette ( don't own any ).

http://www.sierra-mc.com
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:42 am

Here's another solution, which doesn't require fixing your cassette deck, no soldering, no disassembly, etc. I used this to add an aux. input to my Ford Escape's factory stereo, which has neither aux input nor cassette deck. Note that this link is for the manufacturer - I found the kit for much less, at Amazon.com IIRC.

https://www.isimplesolutions.com/universal-solutions-TranzIt-IS77.aspx

This system uses the FM radio at a preset frequency, but it does NOT work like the FM transmitter Bluetooth devices, which provide muddy signals, interference from FM stations, etc. This system puts signal directly into the stereo by passing the stock antenna lead into a powered switch box (the GL's antenna lead is easily accessible under the left fairing pocket), then back into the antenna plug into the stereo, so unlike FM transmitter devices, the signal is absolutely clean. It allows you to plug in iPods, iPhones, Android devices, etc., either with the iPhone-type connector (in the case of Apple devices) or the standard 3.5 mm stereo plug (which you can also use on iPhones etc.). The kit includes a powered switch (to switch the stereo's input signal either from the aux device or the original antenna), every possible combination of cables you could need, charging connection for Apple devices (included in signal delivery if you're using the Apple connector for signal), OEM-style "Aux Input" jack, etc. etc.

I know I'm sounding like a salesman for this kit, but I have no connection to them - I'm just speaking as a VERY happy user. It took a lot of searching online to find this kit (I strained my Google-fu to the max), as aside from tearing into the circuitry of my Ford's stereo (and I'm no kind of electronics guy - that stuff is black magic to me), there was no easy way to add an aux input to it. I installed it a few months ago, use it daily, and it's been flawless. As I use my iPhone as my MP3 player in the car, what's also cool is that the system acts as a hands-free for the phone as well, muting & pausing the music when a call comes through & routing the phone's output through the car's stereo speakers. Sounds like the caller is sitting beside me in the car. BTW, it also charges my iPhone at the same time.

Right now, I'm still using a cassette adapter for iPhone/iPod/GPS audio input on my '97 GL1500SE, but if/when it fails, I'll be buying another one of these kits for my bike. The whole system will easily fit under the left fairing pocket, and I figure the Aux Input jack & switch would easily fit either inside the fairing pocket or on the "tank" cover plastic.

For the OP, it sounds like the easiest, cheapest, most effective way to do this. 8-)

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:10 am

sjb15316
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500
2001 V-Star 650 Classic
1979 Yamaha MX 175
1973 Suzuki RV 125

Postby sjb15316 » Wed May 28, 2014 4:54 pm

I'm in the same boat as most of you. If I do have a cassette, it's apt to break going down the road, so I purchased one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221425876380?va ... 1439.l2649

You will need a cigarette lighter outlet to use it, but I installed one when I was putting on my LEDs.

Features are limited, but it does have several EQ settings built in, so you can adjust the tone somewhat. It has a 1/4 jack wire that is included. I use the flash-drive/mp3 side of the unit and had a 2' USB extension, so I simply put it in the compartment box on the left fairing. Tune your radio to one of 3 frequencies and you're in business.

It also comes with a remote so GF has another toy to 'play' with.

It's a decent unit, and for less than $10, I give it an 8 out of 10. I don't think you'll be able to beat it for the price.

Warning: It DOES come from China, so it took 2.5 weeks to get it here. If you're in a hurry, you might try another place.

Kactus59
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE

Postby Kactus59 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:40 pm

Wireless way.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-3-5mm- ... 35d166535f[/quote]
I just ordered one of these, thanks for the info. I still have a working tape deck on my 98 1500 SE but this just looked and sounded like a better way to go than having the wire hanging out of the tape door, besides I shut the tape door on the wire and it has wear marks in the insulation and looks to be ready to fail. For 10 bucks how can you go wrong. Again thanks for passing this information along

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:45 pm

I hope you both have better success than I did with the FM transmitter devices. I found that, even near the small city I live 15 miles from, there was enough FM interference from adjacent stations that I had to change channels on the transmitter every couple of minutes to hear my tunes. It worked great sitting in the driveway, but not at all once I was riding down the road. In the end I went with an iSimple setup - also FM, but with direct feed into the stereo - no transmitting required.

sjb15316
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500
2001 V-Star 650 Classic
1979 Yamaha MX 175
1973 Suzuki RV 125

Postby sjb15316 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:36 pm

Mh434 wrote:I hope you both have better success than I did with the FM transmitter devices. I found that, even near the small city I live 15 miles from, there was enough FM interference from adjacent stations that I had to change channels on the transmitter every couple of minutes to hear my tunes. It worked great sitting in the driveway, but not at all once I was riding down the road. In the end I went with an iSimple setup - also FM, but with direct feed into the stereo - no transmitting required.

Good input and constructive point!

You know, I hadn't even thought of that. I'm rural and pretty much ride out in the country so mine has worked fine 'so far'.

Fellow riders, you might want to give your location a bit of consideration. I use to live in Mphs, and don't know if it would have worked as well in a 'saturated' FM radio transmitter area. I can 'foresee' the problems that might occur. I have not tested this unit in a 'metro' area so I'm really at a loss for a valid response. I probably would not 'rate' this unit as high had I experienced the same problems as "mh434".

Again, I have had NO problems in my area, but PLEASE take his post as a potential problem.

Ride On!

wardnik
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE

Re: tips for iPOD UPGRADE to 1500 radio-suggestions 4BETTERmusic

Postby wardnik » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:39 am

Hey Goldwing Buddies,
I had the same problem, I was looking for cassettes I was just going to record some cd's to listen to. While searching for cassettes I found a Bluetooth cassette made by ION. Pair it to your smart phone or ipod, plug it in the player and away you go. Works great, I have my phone in the trunk and it picks up fine. The only problem is the battery only lasts for about 4 hours, great for a cruise not so much for a road trip. You can't have the volume on your phone or ipod cranked up or it will distort. In Canada I found it at " The Source" our Radio Shack, in the U.S. you can buy from Amazon for $21.43 ...I am going to put in an accessory plug for power over the winter for the long rides....

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Cassette-Ad ... B00I3YLHAC

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”