bounce in handle bars

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
savagewing
Motorcycle: 1993 Goldwing aspencade

bounce in handle bars

Postby savagewing » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:09 pm

please help I bought a 1993 aspencade and I put new tires on it and everything seems tight but at low speeds I am getting a wash board bounce feeling in my handle bars. HELP !!! ANY IDEAS GOING CRAZY THANKS

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Re: bounce in handle bars

Postby robb » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:03 pm

Is this a new problem since the new tire ? Rotate tire and look to see if tire completely seated on both sides. If it didn't then balance is wrong.

savagewing

Postby savagewing » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:38 pm

it was doing it after I bought it the tires where cupped bad on front and back so I replaced the tires and still does it and with passenger on I had to put 45 psi air in rear shocks so it didn't bottom out and I noticed it at high speeds now to just not as much it feels like there is flat spots on tires but theres not thank you

waituntilthebeep
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800
Black and Silver
Previously:
1989 GL1500
Wineberry Red
'01 Shadow 750
DOUBLE DARK SIDE #1467 on Michelin Primacy and BT45

Postby waituntilthebeep » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:56 pm

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13963
Lots of good info in that post. Sounds like it is the same thing you are encountering.

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:11 am

I would suggest a fork oil change which includes a check of the fork springs to make sure they do not need replaced. Make sure the steering head bearings are OK and torqued properly.
There is a phenomena, known as "pogo sticking" that is caused by to much fork oil.
Good luck and please let us know what the culprit turns out to be.

savagewing

Postby savagewing » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:26 am

Hey thanks everyone I jacked up and spun my brand new tire I had bike shop put on and there is a huge flat spot on my new tire I could not believe they didn't notice it when it was balanced I should of checked it first unbelievable

robb

Postby robb » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:17 am

About 10 years ago Yamaha Powersports Center mounted 3 Metzlers front tires before getting one that was acceptable. Rear felt OK, but a week later there was a recall issued for bad tires from Metzler. Took bike back and they replaced both.
Day and night difference.

savagewing

Postby savagewing » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:21 am

The tire is a elete 3 dunlop

robb

Postby robb » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:58 am

Recently replaced an Elite 3 with 21k on front of my bike. Started to cup so I installed balance beads for a much smoother ride.

I would take a video of tire rotating and take bike back to place of purchase for replacement.

We have a 2012 Prius that needed new tires at 49k. Since speedo and GPS were 2 mph off I had one size larger installed. Speedo was corrected but ride was terrible. Had them checked at another shop that was amazed at 4.5 oz weight on 2 wheels. Name brand tires with 3 year dates and more than .100 difference when rotated. We did video of test showing this reputable shop and all tests done. Went back where tires were purchased and he said it was because tires were larger than spec and causing undue stress on the bearings, then ask me to leave. All caught on my cell phone camera. Went to local TV station to meet with their fraud investigator who took her own videos and talked with the other shop. She then went to selling shop to ask for their side of the story, 3 person camera team in the busiest time of day. Cameras rolling and everything shut down. To avoid being on TV they give my $480 back and requested me not to return. The other shop installed 4 Kelly tires that required no weight for $200 less money, even took bad tires back to other shop. She reported on TV of how one shop went out of it's way to correct another shops mistakes. The good shop owner was so happy with the increase in business and offer my money back less labor charge for test and install. Final cost $120 and it rides good.

bjatwood
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE
1973 CB750 K3
1970 CT70-HKO

Postby bjatwood » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:00 am

Also check the date on the tire. It could be quite old and been sitting a while and that caused the flat spot.

savagewing

Postby savagewing » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:03 am

Well bike still has a bounce I think its the forks not sure about how hard it is to rebuild I know I could do it I just dont have that tool I can feel a grinding feeling when I push down on them in my hands I really could use some good advise I have been going crazy with this I usually can figure this stuff out on my own, bike shop wants $450.00 to do it I have hard time paying that and not even fix the problems. Any advice thanks

newday777
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry to sell 36,000 miles

1999A Restored and sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Postby newday777 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:29 am

savagewing wrote:Hey thanks everyone I jacked up and spun my brand new tire I had bike shop put on and there is a huge flat spot on my new tire I could not believe they didn't notice it when it was balanced I should of checked it first unbelievable

This is your problem. Are the tire beads set properly?
Spun the tire and check the bead spacing to the rim. It has to be even all the way around on both sides, both tires.
Tire seconds are sold on the market too. On 4 wheels it can be lived with. 2 wheels it rears it's ugly head. While the wheel is off the ground hold a pencil steady on a block to check for run out of the tread as well as side to side differencing. Any discrepancy return the tires.

savagewing

Postby savagewing » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:52 am

Both brand new elete 3 tires I took front one back yesterday and they said nothing wrong but made them change it and rebalance but still having same issue I called a different shop and he told me to drain fork oil and refill ,will try that after work not sure what oil and how much I have to look it up. But I will not use hindshaws honda shop anymore

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby ct1500 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:52 am

savagewing wrote:Hey thanks everyone I jacked up and spun my brand new tire I had bike shop put on and there is a huge flat spot on my new tire I could not believe they didn't notice it when it was balanced I should of checked it first unbelievable

savagewing wrote:Well bike still has a bounce I think its the forks Any advice thanks

Well, it is obvious there was no huge flat spot in new tire and is not tire related. Go to a reputable shop with complaint and have them fix for you.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

Sempai
Motorcycle: '94 GL1500SE

Postby Sempai » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:08 am

The grinding you're feeling on fork compression is reason enough to do a fork rebuild. The shoddy fork performance alone can cause the wobble you're experiencing anyway, so at this point, I'm thinking you might as well jump into it
If you are at all mechanically inclined, you'll be able to do it with a simple set of mechanic's tools...until it comes time to recap the tubes. Honda sells a rather expensive tool specifically for that, or I can send you some pics of the tool I made here at home out of a 2x4 and some all-thread...works like a charm, have used it several times on several different GoldWings.
Also suggest you install a Superbrace if it doesn't already have one. If you don't have a service manual, PM me and I'll help you out with the PDF.
Keep the rubber side down.

Patriccio
Motorcycle: 1980 Goldwing
Interstate: in progress
1979 Honda CX500 Stolen
1982 Yamaha Seca 650 Sold

Postby Patriccio » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:00 pm

Sempai,
Perhaps you could post pics of the homemade tool. I will be rebuilding my forks once my wheels are powder-coated, so help w/ those caps would be appreciated.
Thnx

Sempai

Postby Sempai » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:12 pm

Well, I took a few pics intending to explain it in some detail here but I seem to be experiencing some difficulty uploading more than one pic to GolwingDocs right at the moment. Here's the one pic, and I'll try again with the rest after a while...

Sempai

Postby Sempai » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:45 pm

rl=http://goldwingdocs.com/UserPictures/Sempai_11139/various_1147/IMG-20140426-1721821_9370]
[/url]
I started with about 13" (32.5cm) of standard issue 2x4 and about 12.5" (31.25mm) of 1" square tube. Drilled a ½" (13mm) hole directly in the middle of the tube AND 2x4. With the drill bit sticking through both pieces, I then drilled a 5/16" hole through the tube AND 2x4 approximately ½" in from each end of the tube AND 2x4, keeping the tube's ends on opposite sides of the 2x4's length. Then I drilled two 5/16" holes traversely through the 2x4 approximately midway between the holes already present. The ½" hole in the middle of the 2x4 is then drilled out to 1⅝" (42mm.) I then split the 2x4 in half down its length, aiming to split the large hole in half. Using a length of ¼x20 all-thread and nuts/washers, I bolted the 2 halves of the 2x4 together as you see in the pic. With this configuration, the 2x4 can be clamped onto the top of the fork tube. Two long lengths of the ¼x20 all-thread and washers/nuts are now fed through the 5/16 holes at the ends of the tube, and one of those lengths will feed through one half of the 2x4 while the other length goes through the other half of the "clamp."
Now use a 13mm bolt with a 17mm hex head fed through the center hole in the tube (feed from bottom.) Two nuts jambed against each other on the top side of the tube will function as the driver whilst the bolt's head will engage the fork tube's end cap.
Last edited by Sempai on Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Sempai

Postby Sempai » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:57 pm

The 13mm bolt is NOT tight to the tube, it needs to be able to turn independently of the tube once the tool has been attached to the fork tube. Speaking thusly, clamp the 2x4 to the fork tube, perhaps 1" (24mm) below the tube's end. Adjust the long pieces of all-thread such that the tube is sitting squarely above the fork tube, leaving some space between the tool and the end cap. Engage the hex head into the hex void in the fork tube's end cap. Use a wrench on the lower nut to turn the hex head bolt counter clockwise so as to unscrew the end cap. The spring will push that sucker out with plenty of force, so be prepared as best you can.
Last edited by Sempai on Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sempai

Postby Sempai » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:08 pm

While these pictures aren't the best, if you've been cautious throughout the building of this tool, the hex head bolt will be dead center of the clamp's center hole. To reinstall the cap, having it engaged onto the hex head, and seated against the square tube, tighten both of the long all-thread adjusters EQUALLY so as to keep the press square to the fork tube. Compress the spring in this fashion until the fork tube cap comes into contact with the fork tube's threads. Now use a wrench or socket on the upper nut, turning it clockwise so as to screw the cap into the receiving threads in the fork tube. Once the cap's threads have engaged the tube's threads, the bolt will slip down in its hole as the cap screws deeper into the tube.

Patriccio
Motorcycle: 1980 Goldwing
Interstate: in progress
1979 Honda CX500 Stolen
1982 Yamaha Seca 650 Sold

Postby Patriccio » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:21 am

Thanks Sempai. I can make that tool.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”