Lighting Help

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
BullCBX
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
2004 FJR1300ABS
1982 CBX

Lighting Help

Postby BullCBX » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:29 pm

OK guys, new wing owner here (96SE) and I really need some electrical help. I have been trying to rejuvenate this bike and have been reading as much of the "how to"s as I can. Felt comfortable about taking the switches about to clean them and try and get several of the buttons working. I also took the turn signal portion apart and replaced the broken spring and got them working. My issue now is the headlights. I replaced the bulbs yesterday and the low beams were fine but no hi beam. Figured I needed to check the relay and planned on that this evening. I took the switch apart again to replace the spring I used yesterday with one a little heavier and before putting everything back together, I tried the key to check things out. Well now I had no lights at all. OK armed with all my new knowledge I have been studying, I went to the relays. Checked them and swapped them back-and-forth with the compressor one and they all appear fine. Next checked the fuses. They were fine. Went back to the front end and pulled the headlight assembly and checked for voltage there. 12+ volts. Scratching my head, I plugged them back in and lo and behold the high beams are working but no low beam. Start playing with the wiring around the upper portion of the switch and can here the relay click in-n-out but no lo beam like there is a short in the wiring. Went ahead and cut the switch out (white, blue and blue/wht wires) so I could completely disassemble the switch and clean it. After soldering new leads back on and connecting back to the bike, I still only have high beams. When the switch is at the low beam position, no lights, just the the relay clicks. I am at my wits end. Can anyone offer any trouble shooting ideas 'cause I could really use the help?

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Lighting Help

Postby virgilmobile » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:15 pm

Actually there are 2relays.I think there #8 and #4.
when you operate the hi/low switch,one way should click one relay on and the other click that one off and the other one on.
If either hi or lo beam work,the one and only fuse for the headlight is OK.
THE HI/LO switch simply operates the relay.
Be aware that If neither will work,suspect the start switch...it cuts power to the hi/lo switch while cranking.

BullCBX
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
2004 FJR1300ABS
1982 CBX

Postby BullCBX » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:06 pm

OK after spending several hours yesterday and thinking about this most of the night, I just refused to give into this issue and headed back out in the garage. After several more hours of checking the relays, fuses, including the back side of these, pulling the headlights out again and checking them again for voltage and condition, I finally decided just to go ahead and re-assemble the left hand switch assembly and resolved myself to taking the whole front end off at a later date to trace out the wiring to find the issue. I had determined there was an issue with the blue wire with the white strip feeding the switch. Well I'm happy to say I finally found the problem. The PO had a set of fog lights (that didn't work) mounted to a light bar across the front, but for some season he had spliced into this very wire. After tracing it to an old, defective toggle switch, I was able to get my headlights working again. Now I have a new task to trace down this defunct wiring, but at least for now, the main systems are functioning. What an adventure this has been.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:33 pm

Good luck.Remember small wires are not intended to carry much current.There usually used for relay control or small drain stuff.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”