fairing lower cover removal 96 1500SE

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
OnPapasWing
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE

fairing lower cover removal 96 1500SE

Postby OnPapasWing » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:33 pm

I'm working on replacing filters/oil/plugs and such since I really don't know what has been done to this bike by to PO. Fuel filter was filthy! Except the more I get into it the more I see that it apparently was dumped. I have some damage to some of the panels. Tabs broken off and panels are partially "glued" in place. Looks like I will be replacing some things.

I digress, What I really want to know (for now) is when I'm removing the lower fairing cover I need to remove some screws next to the side marker lights. There are two black panels covering the screws but not sure how to get them off to access the screws. Do they just snap on? I don't want to break anything (else).

One other thing, I noticed in the "how-to" section I see where wingadmin has some chrome covers. Are these available somewhere? Maybe I'll just not worry about breaking them and just by some new chrome ones.

Steve

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: fairing lower cover removal 96 1500SE

Postby RBGERSON » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:22 am

HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Re: fairing lower cover removal 96 1500SE

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:11 am

The stock black screw covers just snap off, and I use the term 'snap' loosely. The longer one just needs to be pried off. It does pretty much snap off and is pretty secure when you put it back on. The smaller one is held by one screw head only, and doesn't tend to go back on securely. I got some sticky ribbons at Walmart. I don't know how to describe it any other way. I believe it was in the sewing section or arts & crafts section. It comes on a roll, and is these very sticky, glue-like strings that are sandwiched between 2 pieces of plastic for shipping and selling. Anyway, if you don't put something in the hole of the small black screw cover, you will most likely find it missing some day. The sticky stuff will keep it stuck to the screw head pretty well.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”