Cleaning Windshield

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Dannyboy1966
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500A Aspencade

Cleaning Windshield

Postby Dannyboy1966 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:51 pm

I've read several times, people saying to clean windshield with unscented Pledge. Whats the difference between scented, and unscented? And could I use scented instead?

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Re: Cleaning Windshield

Postby tfdeputydawg » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:00 pm

The lemon scent attracts bees!

Dannyboy1966
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500A Aspencade

Postby Dannyboy1966 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:21 pm

Good point tfdeputydawg, I did not think of that, you are so right.

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:29 pm

Spray it with shaving cream and wipe with a wet cloth. Will also keep it from fogging.

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:23 am

Cleaning your windscreen is a process that needs to be thought out--especially if your LOOK THROUGH the plexi rather than OVER the top edge..

Item 1 - NEVER use the gas station squeegee for removing dirt & bugs. You will just scratch the screen something awful
Item 2 - For removing baked on bugs - spray Hydrogen Peroxide & water solution (50/50 mix) and let it soften the bugs - then wipe off gently with a clean rag
Item 3 - A NEW windscreen will cost you a bunch of money ($200 +/-) and you want to use a furniture polish ? BUY something formulated for use on our plastics -- Tulsa #210 , Honda Spray Cleaner, Suzuki Spray Polish (old Honda formula), and many others. Check at your local powersports store. These are about $15-$20 and last a long time -
Item 4 - Use a CLEAN SOFT rag - Clean Microfiber cloth is my personal favorite.
Item 5 - Buy an F4 windscreen if you refuse to take care of the one you have - those are nearly cleaner proof.
Item 6 - I prefer to wipe in a vertical motion on the outside and horizontal on the inside - that way if I leave a streak - I know where it is.

Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:25 pm

For those that haven't tried it, after I get my windscreen clean, I use Mother's cleaner/detailer with carnauba. The vast majority of the microscopic scratches that contribute to the hazy, opaque look seem to disappear, and the windshield looks crystal clear again. Takes only a few seconds, and a bottle of the stuff will last for years. I think it's basically liquid carnauba with a non-abrasive cleaner. I've used the stuff for years, and still swear by it. Two or three applications a year is enough to keep the screen looking new.

The windscreen on my new-to-me '97 1500SE was somewhat yellowed, covered in minute scratches from day to day use, and generally fairly opaque. I cleaned it with soap & water, and used this stuff on it. It's now crystal clear (looks like glass, not plastic), and I don't even see it at all when riding anymore.

An additional benefit is that when you get bugs, they pretty much just wipe right off without any scrubbing (nice, when you're just stopping for a moment at a rest stop). Plus, in the rain, water beads up & streams off immediately, so vision is improved.

On longer trips, I've been known to carry a squirt of the stuff in an old 35mm film container (okay, I'm dating myself here!) & a soft cotton cloth for touch-ups. Of course, being carnauba, it shines up everything on the bike including chrome (try to keep it off rubber, though, or you'll have to scrub off the whitish marks).

I have no connection whatever to the company, but I have faithfully used Mother's products since they first came out. I consistently gripe about the cost of their stuff, but since I have never found anything better, I stick with it. I've tried other branded products, some that I even liked, but the Mother's stuff has stayed consistent over the years, and I trust the paint & brightwork on my cars, motorcycles, and boat to it. I'm somewhat jaded by many products' claims, but Mother's has proven trustworthy to me over the years. The instant I'm disappointed with one of their products, I'll move on.

tfdeputydawg

Postby tfdeputydawg » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:03 pm

Use of micro-fiber is not a good thing on a windshield unless the micro fiber is brand new, unused and was enclosed in some type of package when purchased.
Micro fiber has been found to trap minute abrasive particles, even after being laundered and these will scratch your shield!

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:29 pm

True story!! My buddy & his wife always use cotton flannelette sheets and, when they're worn, he knows to give the old ones to me. Freshly cleaned, they work great for polishing as they're extremely soft & non-abrasive.

I'm leery of microfiber (although I have lots of them) for polishing on delicate surfaces like vehicle paint, plexiglas, lexan, etc. I'm not at all certain that the plastic they're made from is softer than the surface I'm polishing. It's amazing how many people I see using paper towels etc. to clean (and ruin!) plastic-lens glasses, for example... :o

tfdeputydawg

Postby tfdeputydawg » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:51 am

Mh434 wrote: It's amazing how many people I see using paper towels etc. to clean (and ruin!) plastic-lens glasses, for example... :o

Windex and paper towel is the recommended cleaning method for cleaning F4 windshields. Certainly no for uncoated acrylic shields!!!

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”