Saddlebag latch problem - solved!

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Saddlebag latch problem - solved!

Postby Mh434 » Wed May 07, 2014 1:34 am

Over the past few weeks that I've owned my GL1500SE, one thing has really been bugging me - neither saddlebag would latch on both its latches (the front one, on both sides, wouldn't catch). I fiddled with the left one and finally got it, with judicious adjusting of the latch tang (the part on the lid). The right side bag's forward latch, however, eluded me.

I'd tried everything I could think of. The latch was clean & worked perfectly when the tang was removed from the lid & pushed into the latch, but no amount of adjustment, or force, for that matter, would make that darned thing catch when the tang was bolted in place. I noted that the latch mechanism itself (inside the top of the bag) is not adjustable, and is held securely by a metal bracket attached to the inside back of the saddlebag.

Today, I was going back & forth, from bag to bag, trying to figure out why the left side would work and the right side wouldn't. Finally, I noticed that the metal bracket (connecting the top of the right front catch to the back of the saddlebag) had a couple of extra bends in it that the left side bracket did not have!

I suspect at some point, someone tried to close the bag on an oversized object, forcing the latch back and bending the bracket, preventing latching (i.e., the tang just won't go far enough into the latch, even with max adjustment on the tang). It would be VERY EASY to have this happen.

I used vise grips to straighten it as much as I could, and a small soft-face mallet to tap it the rest of the way. Once I had it looking pretty much like the one on the left side, I closed the bag and, lo and behold, it worked perfectly! I even needed to back off the tang adjustment to get the bag to latch closed nice & tight!!

Without knowing this, a person could spend a VERY long time messing with their bag & not finding the solution. So, I offer it up here, in the hopes that someone else will benefit from it.

Here's a pic of the offending bracket (right side bag, forward latch, pic taken while facing toward the front of the bike), mostly straightened out.

So...if there are others out there suffering from partially-closed saddlebag syndrome, this part is a good place to start looking....
Attachments

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Saddlebag latch problem - solved!

Postby WingAdmin » Wed May 07, 2014 10:38 am

Good information. The same is true for the hinges at the bottom - if you force the lid closed when the saddlebag is stuffed with too much cargo, it will bend the hinge mechanism at the bottom, and the result is that the lid will no longer seal tightly at the bottom. Gentle bending of the mechanism will get it back into proper shape.

OnPapasWing
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE

Postby OnPapasWing » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:05 pm

I haven't looked to closely yet, but the problem I'm having is that I removed the left bag to take rear tire off. When I put the saddle bag back on, the lever under the trunk won't release the saddlebag cover. I have to open the trunk and use the "secret passage" to get the bag open. I don't believe there was anything I did in the removal and re-install of the saddle bag to mis-adjust anything.
Thoughts?

Steve

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:25 pm

OnPapasWing wrote:I haven't looked to closely yet, but the problem I'm having is that I removed the left bag to take rear tire off. When I put the saddle bag back on, the lever under the trunk won't release the saddlebag cover. I have to open the trunk and use the "secret passage" to get the bag open. I don't believe there was anything I did in the removal and re-install of the saddle bag to mis-adjust anything.
Thoughts?

Steve

Did you reconnect the release cable to the release bar inside the bag?

OnPapasWing
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE

Postby OnPapasWing » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:21 am

Yep, I even tried to rotate it, hooking it under the bar or over the bar. Didn't seem to matter much. I'll take a look at both sides tonight after work to compare them.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:10 am

OnPapasWing wrote:Yep, I even tried to rotate it, hooking it under the bar or over the bar. Didn't seem to matter much. I'll take a look at both sides tonight after work to compare them.

It doesn't matter if it's hooked over the top or over the bottom. It pulls the bar in toward the middle of the bike, which releases the latches. Incidentally, that's also what the emergency release does.

Is the cable getting pulled inward when you pull the normal release latch?

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”