RADIO ISSUES

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

RADIO ISSUES

Postby RBGERSON » Thu May 08, 2014 8:41 am

I have started getting static or a hum on my radio kind of like it's off a little in the tuning to a station. This just started. I haven't changed anything on the bike..so what is the most likely cause?? speakers getting old? bad connection to speakers, tuner issues or ????

Turning the tone to high or low doesn't change it much..

HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: RADIO ISSUES

Postby virgilmobile » Thu May 08, 2014 9:22 am

If it is humming....maybe it doesn't know the words..... :D :D

Sorry....Ok.. ha ha ha....
First...does it make this noise with the engine off too??
The radio does have a ground strap that may be loose...Even a poor connection on the main radio plug.
The type of noise and when it's there can lead to the cause...
Is it there when you use a cassette,intercom,CB,AM or FM...
Can you post a you-tube video/audio of the problem and link it on your next post.?

RBGERSON

Postby RBGERSON » Fri May 09, 2014 9:54 pm

Ok, testing done..sometimes the humm/buzz is there sometimes not..running or not..leads me to think it's a grounding problem..but just a guess????

The sound almost sounds like a rattle in the speaker and is worse when I turn the tone knob to bass.

FAIR WINDS,
RB

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby ct1500 » Fri May 09, 2014 10:20 pm

You got a 97 with the later failure prone alternator and it may be time. Test charging system and battery. I just read that your noise is there with the engine not running disregard the above.

Could be you got a cracked speaker.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Sat May 10, 2014 4:24 am

I used to own a stereo install shop YEARS ago, I would be willing to bet your speakers are going south on you. . . Replace them and I bet the problem goes away.

Let us know.
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

RBGERSON

Postby RBGERSON » Sat May 10, 2014 8:44 am

1st I have a new stator compufire..lots of v's :D ..I will probably live with it for now I looked at gettign to the speakers..what a PITA!!! I think I'll put on my helmet and try the headphones and see if I get the same uhmmm..if not ...Like UF says speaker issue... if still uhmming..ground issue???

Any thoughts on my diagnosis plan..

FAIR WINDS,
RB

curley
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Level 3

Postby curley » Mon May 12, 2014 5:51 pm

I have a '93 Aspy...modified the radio for a AUX input...I put a new Alternator on and got a whine that went up and down in tone with the RPMs...had to get a ground loop isolator like these:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_ ... Caps%2C367

I used the "PAC" unit on the input side of the modified AUX cable...works great...there may be something affecting you antenna lead/signal that is causing the humming on your "stock" radio....hope this helps

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue May 13, 2014 8:44 am

curley wrote:I have a '93 Aspy...modified the radio for a AUX input...I put a new Alternator on and got a whine that went up and down in tone with the RPMs...had to get a ground loop isolator like these:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_ ... ingdocs-20

I used the "PAC" unit on the input side of the modified AUX cable...works great...there may be something affecting you antenna lead/signal that is causing the humming on your "stock" radio....hope this helps

When using the AUX input, particularly if what you've plugged into it is powered by the bike, it's pretty much guaranteed that you will need a ground loop isolator, or else you will end up with the alternator whine. When I put in my AUX input modification, I built a ground loop isolator into the radio itself, to avoid a big external lump.

RBGERSON

Postby RBGERSON » Tue May 13, 2014 9:23 am

Ok, you guys are WAY over my head.... ground loop isolator, PAC unit on the input side of the modified AUX cable, AUX input...

I get loose connections on antenna or bad speakers or bad ground in radio circuit.

Haven't tried my helmet yet..but if that works w/o uhmmm...what's the most likely cause..bad speakers???

PS this uhmm doesn't seems to change with engine rpm's.

FAIR WINDS,
RB

curley
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Level 3

Postby curley » Tue May 13, 2014 9:56 am

OK...so try and isolate the problem
1) can you use a fader to move the radio output from front to back speakers?, is it worse on the front speakers, is it worse on the rear speakers?...I would replace the speakers set that appear to have the "louder uhmmmm" ( How old are the speakers?...it get's a little warm out where you live - those speakers aren't the best quality after 10-15 years in the heat of the SWest.
2)Speakers chk out "OK"...that is; whether you use the fader or not the uhmmm sounds the same...sounds like a ground or antenna issue or???
3)check the ground connection at: the battery ( nice and clean and tight?), at the chassis ( not so easy...it's about Knee height on the twist grip side of the bike under the tupperwear...gotta remove the center "console" and the false tank on the right side ( twist grip side)...I see you live in the SW like me...even though it is often hot and dry out here...corrosion can occur at that connection ( my '93 had some)( Typical Honda Ground: Green and black stripe, 6mm bolt with a 10mm hex head- wires going into a ring terminal)...take it off and clean it (wire brush/scotch brite pad/sandpaper) ...I put a dab of grease on the bolt and ring terminal to keep the corrosion in chk.), at the radio...the "Big Connector" that has a snake like cable going to it ...sometimes all it takes is to remove and re-insert it to the mating connector/sometimes it takes some wiggling...you'll have to test for the uhmmm after each attempt to isolate the issue....don't put the tupperwear back just yet
4) check the antenna connection to the radio...clean and tight?...test for uhmmm... the antenna lead routing...anywhere near a power or ground connection?
5) the new alternator - you may have to disconnect it ( I know this is NOT easy) from the charging circuit if the uhmmm goes away...well... it's that new alternator...but if it is the alternator maybe you can return it for a replacement and try it again ( I doubt that it is the alternator...as the Uhmmm doesn't change with RPM)...hope this helps

RBGERSON

Postby RBGERSON » Tue May 13, 2014 12:40 pm

Thanks some things to try..I'll update when I get to it

FAIR WINDS,
RB

RBGERSON

Postby RBGERSON » Thu May 15, 2014 7:13 pm

So finally took aride with my helmet on..no uhmm. switched from front to back speakers hard to tell if the uhmm moves as neither sets turn completely off..but seems like the front right one uhmms the most..so time for new speakers..when I decide I want to tear into all that tupperware.. :lol:

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”