Rear brake adjustment

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
rlsapp
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing Aspencade

Rear brake adjustment

Postby rlsapp » Mon May 12, 2014 4:04 pm

Need to adjust the rear brakes on my 97. The rear pedal is going down to far before the brakes slows the bike. Anyone got any info to help.

Bigbiker0
Motorcycle: 1997 gl 1500 se

Re: Rear brake adjustment

Postby Bigbiker0 » Mon May 12, 2014 4:49 pm

I have exactly the same prob.
Drive safely Heaven do not exist.

Sempai
Motorcycle: '94 GL1500SE

Postby Sempai » Mon May 12, 2014 5:43 pm

Bleed the left front brake.
And the rear. Disc brake systems are rarely adjustable at the caliper. The problem you're having though, in this particular case, is likely to be a tiny bit of air in the brake lines. The 1500 has a linked braking system. The front brake lever only works the right front caliper, while the brake pedal controls both the rear caliper and the left front caliper.
Keep the rubber side down.

rlsapp

Postby rlsapp » Mon May 12, 2014 11:22 pm

I'm not following your reply. Do I bleed off the front, and they both should be fine.

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Postby Dusty Boots » Tue May 13, 2014 5:33 am

No .... what he is saying is that there is no brake 'adjustment', as the system is hydraulic, not mechanical. The 1500 has a linked braking system.When you push down on the rear brake pedal, it also activates the front left brake calliper, as well as the rear one.

Your problem is that your brakes need to be bled of air/dirty fluid and to do that on the rear braking system, you have to start with the front left calliper 1st, as it is furthest away from the rear brake's Master Cylinder. After you have bled that and got all the air/dirty fluid out of that section, you then move to the rear and bleed that calliper.

When you squeeze the front brake lever on the handlebar, it actually only activates the front right brake calliper.
While you are doing the rear brakes, you might as well bleed the front brake calliper (right one) and your clutch system at the same time, as they all use DOT 4 brake fluid.

The Brake and Clutch systems should be bled every two years as part of your preventive maintenance program.
Cleanliness is the name of the game with these systems!!

Just make sure you cover up everything around the Master Cylinder with old rags as brake fluid will eat plastic/painted surfaces if spilt on!!

rlsapp

Postby rlsapp » Tue May 13, 2014 1:25 pm

OK...think I have got it now.

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Postby Dusty Boots » Tue May 13, 2014 3:18 pm

rlsapp wrote:OK...think I have got it now.

Perhaps this illustration I did will help you understand better .....

Dusty

jandjgoldwing
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500, 1992 FXDC, 1976 CB750

Postby jandjgoldwing » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:45 am

I've read many DIY articles about GL1500 brake fluid bleeding, and they suggest to do all brakes. Logic tells me that I should disagree. In my opinion, the most important component on a bike or car is the brake system. A bike that won't run probably won't kill me, but a bike that won't stop might. Yes, both the left front and the rear need to be done at the same time. But, if the right front brake is not having problems, then I'd be reluctant to work on that one at the same time. The reason is that the rear is already showing problems with stopping, so it is unreliable. If this isn't fixed and tested over a few rides, then it would be dangerous to work on the front, because the front could be the only way to stop (presuming crashing is not an acceptable method). In my 70 years on the planet, I've usually found that the adage, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", is good advice with a few exceptions, like routine maintenance...or, in the case of a GL1500, timing belts.

bstig60
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Postby bstig60 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:46 pm

jandjgoldwing wrote:I've read many DIY articles about GL1500 brake fluid bleeding, and they suggest to do all brakes. Logic tells me that I should disagree. In my opinion, the most important component on a bike or car is the brake system. A bike that won't run probably won't kill me, but a bike that won't stop might. Yes, both the left front and the rear need to be done at the same time. But, if the right front brake is not having problems, then I'd be reluctant to work on that one at the same time. The reason is that the rear is already showing problems with stopping, so it is unreliable. If this isn't fixed and tested over a few rides, then it would be dangerous to work on the front, because the front could be the only way to stop (presuming crashing is not an acceptable method). In my 70 years on the planet, I've usually found that the adage, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", is good advice with a few exceptions, like routine maintenance...or, in the case of a GL1500, timing belts.

I totally agree, if its working correctly, leave it be. Get the rear braking system working properly first.

Bill

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”