Lighting Idea and Questions - 94-1500i

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Metal_Bob
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500I Interstate

Lighting Idea and Questions - 94-1500i

Postby Metal_Bob » Mon May 12, 2014 11:06 pm

Hey,

I want to add additional running and turn signals to the saddlebags and trunk assemblies

I have a non-off-the-shelf idea for the saddlebags.

The 94-GL1500i I purchased last week already has the hondaline front reflector light kit (amber) and the side saddlebag light kit (6 red lights each) installed and working.

I plan on purchasing the Front Turn Signal Flasher Kit , the Rear Turn Signal Flasher Kit , the Trunk Reflector Light Kit and the Rear Fender Light which are all plug and play and relatively cheap.

Additionally I'd like to purchase the Saddlebag Corner Turn Signals. Then I'd wire those corner lights and the saddle bag lights up into the upper trunk. I'm hoping to add a lower set of amber turn signals as well as lower red side signals on the saddle bags to match the look and flashing of the trunk.

Is there any reason this wont work?

At this time I'm not converting anything to LED YET. (I spent over $500 giving my first bike 100% LED lights including the 1st Gen Truck-Lite 7" round headlight). http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=32662.html

Speaking of LED headlights, has anyone tried/found a GOOD/DOT quality H4 style LED headlight to use on the GL1500s (new or old style headlight housing). I think they are still relatively new so I'm not sure how many have actually tried them.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Lighting Idea and Questions - 94-1500i

Postby WingAdmin » Tue May 13, 2014 9:09 am

What you're describing is exactly the way my GL1500 was set up and wired when I got it. I've made some changes (changing all to LED), but what you're looking to do should work fine.

The front & trunk turn signal adapter harnesses (that flash the trunk lights and front fairing side markers) will not work with LEDs. They work by feeding the lights' ground to the positive of the flashed bulbs, so they are on at all times when the flashers are off, and flash off when the flashed bulbs turn on. As you know, you can't feed LEDs backward, so they won't work this way. I got around this by having the flasher actuate a relay coil (which doesn't care about polarity), and the relay then powered the side marker lights.

Metal_Bob

Postby Metal_Bob » Tue May 13, 2014 11:05 am

WingAdmin wrote:What you're describing is exactly the way my GL1500 was set up and wired when I got it. I've made some changes (changing all to LED), but what you're looking to do should work fine.

The front & trunk turn signal adapter harnesses (that flash the trunk lights and front fairing side markers) will not work with LEDs. They work by feeding the lights' ground to the positive of the flashed bulbs, so they are on at all times when the flashers are off, and flash off when the flashed bulbs turn on. As you know, you can't feed LEDs backward, so they won't work this way. I got around this by having the flasher actuate a relay coil (which doesn't care about polarity), and the relay then powered the side marker lights.

I saw a few of those posts about prying apart the lens and installing the LED strips. I'm not quite ready to do all that. Maybe during the winter :) (I just bought the wing last Sunday after all).

Quick question: Where is the blinker relay hiding? I'd rather replace that that deal with resisters eventually. (I don't care about auto cancel or non-stock blinker relay once I get started LED'ing 8-) )

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue May 13, 2014 11:55 am

Metal_Bob wrote:Quick question: Where is the blinker relay hiding? I'd rather replace that that deal with resisters eventually. (I don't care about auto cancel or non-stock blinker relay once I get started LED'ing 8-) )

Being that the turn signal and hazard relays are items that wear out and will need to be replaced, Honda decided to give you easy access to them: all you have to do is remove the entire trunk, which is about half an hour's work to get off, and another half an hour to put back on. The two relays are hiding underneath it.

And yes, that's sarcasm. :)

Metal_Bob

Postby Metal_Bob » Tue May 13, 2014 1:13 pm

WingAdmin wrote:What you're describing is exactly the way my GL1500 was set up and wired when I got it. I've made some changes (changing all to LED), but what you're looking to do should work fine.

Maybe I should skip the flasher kits (reverse polarity) and just wire in a relay to do the same basic thing (in preperation of LED'ing the bike).

So find a normally closed relay to keep side running lights on, then when flashers turn on the sides turn off. That is what I believe you described/did. If not, the on/off idea is nice considering the amber vs red colors might look better alternating on/off.

This is the logic I'm thinking, I just need to find/figure out how to wire it to an actual common store relay. I'm a bit rusty. :)

I'll figure it out, but it's time to make lunch.

Metal_Bob

Postby Metal_Bob » Tue May 13, 2014 2:33 pm

Is it really as simple as connecting the LEDs to + on both running lights and + on turn signal wires as posted here?

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=20299

I never would have thought of that...

I could save money on wiring kits and relay and put it towards LED strips...

OR start with LED wedge bulbs... Decisions decisions...

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Wed May 14, 2014 8:03 pm

With your alternating red-yellow turn indicators, might it be confusing as to whether you are using your brakes, or you are turning?
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Metal_Bob

Postby Metal_Bob » Wed May 14, 2014 9:42 pm

redial wrote:With your alternating red-yellow turn indicators, might it be confusing as to whether you are using your brakes, or you are turning?

That is how the kits are made. Also who puts brake lights on the SIDE of their vehicle? ;-)

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu May 15, 2014 11:13 am

Metal_Bob wrote:
redial wrote:With your alternating red-yellow turn indicators, might it be confusing as to whether you are using your brakes, or you are turning?

That is how the kits are made. Also who puts brake lights on the SIDE of their vehicle? ;-)

The ones I've seen before turn the red off when the yellow is flashing, to avoid the red/yellow/red alternating "flash".

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”