Installed New Timing Belt on 98 Aspencade...

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
danlundwall
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500A Black Beauty :-)

Installed New Timing Belt on 98 Aspencade...

Postby danlundwall » Fri May 16, 2014 5:51 pm

Hello my favorite people!!
I just installed a set of new Honda Line timing belts on my 1998 GL1500A. I put everything back together and turned the engine over... The starter motor was strong, but it did NOT start. I then thought I may have put the pulse generator back on BACKWARDS... because in the instructions it said to take off the upper one, which I did. i pulled everything apart and saw that the upper pulse generator that I took off was NOT orientated the same as the lower pulse generator (the one where you just take ONE of the bolts off and swing it to gain access to the belt). I positioned the upper pulse generator so that it is orientated the same as the lower one... with the white window thingy on the outside, pointing away from the belt and gearing. I once again put everything back together (at this time I am getting better at doing this as this is the second time I did so :D ). I started the engine again and the same thing... The starter motor was strong but it did not start. ANY IDEAS? :roll:

Full Disclosure: I also changed the spark plugs out (as was suggested) and very carefully put the new ones in. The first time (before I changed the pulse generators orientation the first time) it didn't start right up I unplugged a spark plug wire from one of the spark plugs and put one of the old spark plugs attached to the wire, and grounded it, then started the motor again and saw no spark. I did the same test AFTER I changed the pulse generator's orientation and got the same result.

Ahhhhhh!!!!! I want to ride!!!!!!!!

Any ideas would be MUCHLY APPRECIATED!!!!

curley
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Level 3

Re: Installed New Timing Belt on 98 Aspencade...

Postby curley » Fri May 16, 2014 6:22 pm

simple stuff first...is the "kill switch" in the "run" position?...if not you won't get any spark....
I'm gonna try and post a pix from my Clymer manual...you may be able to tell the Pulse generators are "90 degs" from one another...hope this helps
Attachments

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Fri May 16, 2014 8:08 pm

Look this over and see it you notice any difference from what you did.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9774

danlundwall

Postby danlundwall » Sat May 17, 2014 12:51 pm

Thank you for your replies. Yes. I made doubly sure the kill switch was in the RUN position. I even tried all three positions: STOP-RUN-STOP. Identical results. I was dead sure I followed the instructions perfectly... I didn't want to make a costly error :D

There was something else I just remembered... On the top pulse generator there was a little bracket that I didn't notice the exact orientation when I took out the bolt, but when I did the bracket came tumbling out. I couldn't see exactly how it was originally orientated, all I could determine is that it was a bracket with the sole purpose of keeping the wires in place. Is that correct? Does it function just to do that or is there more?

Just so you know, I had my iPad out with me while I was working on the bike and was being helped by a master mechanic (albeit a car master mechanic). We followed the instructions to a tee... The only two possibilities that I can see is the bracket and/or the orientation of the upper pulse generator. I gotta be missing something because the thing don't work :cry:

One other question.... Each pulse generator can go on 1 of only 2 ways... The pulse generators have what looks to be like little windows about 1/8th to 3/16ths inch in diameter. On each p.g. There is one side that has a painted white square on it. Does this side FACE the crankshaft pulley ?

I also noticed that the instructions were identical save only one item... In the instructions that I followed it said to take out both bolts on the lower p.g., whereas the instructions I received that sent me to The Bikers Workshop Series said to pull the bolt one one side of the p.g. But to just loosen the other one. ALSO... AND THIS IS IMPORTANT... The pictured p.g. In The Bikers Workshop Series version clearly shows (or doesn't show) the white painted side.... Is this maybe my issue? WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF YOU INSTALLED THE P.G's 180 degrees OFF?

MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Sat May 17, 2014 10:53 pm

The white square goes to the inside, reads the center pulley. If installed backwards it will not read pulley and bike won't run.

danlundwall

Postby danlundwall » Sun May 18, 2014 5:42 am

That could be it then!! Both units need to have the white box side facing the gearing then?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon May 19, 2014 8:28 am

Have you looked at How to remove and replace your timing belts? There are some very detailed and close-up pictures of the pulse generators in that article.

sfrench1958
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500A Aspencade
2001 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Postby sfrench1958 » Mon May 19, 2014 2:17 pm

On the third time around tearing the bike down to get back to the area that is causing problems you might want to start the bike, or see if it starts before putting everything back together. I do not mean to sound sarcastic with this response. When I changed out my belts this winter, knowing my mechanical shortcomings I did make sure she started before reassembly

danlundwall

Postby danlundwall » Mon May 19, 2014 2:35 pm

It is this very guide that I used. I believe now that I'm looking at the pictures more carefully I can see the white painted side toward the gearing. I will undo everything and make sure the P.G. are facing the same way with the painted box towards the gear. While I am in there I am also going to swap out the Advance Timing Gear (or whatever its called)... the one that advances the timing 4 degrees (or something like that).

Thanks all for your suggestions. I will let you know how I fared.

Keep safe!!

danlundwall

Postby danlundwall » Sun May 25, 2014 3:18 pm

After turning the pulse generators so that the white painted side was positioned TOWARD the timing gear, it now purrs like a kitten! Lots of wasted time because of missing the simple stuff!

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Also, since I had to take out the spark plugs again I also modified them by CAREFULLY shaving off the end of the negative post arm so as to expose the spark. Like I said, it purrs like a kitten.

I have just replaced both sets of brake pads and will check the condition of the rear brake. I am also going to change the fuel filter as well as the oil. I should be all ready for my big trip on Tuesday to Baltimore!

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Sun May 25, 2014 7:25 pm

As the one front (left?) and the rear brakes are linked, I STRONGLY suggest you replace all three sets of brakes. If the front is down, the rear will be down the same, or close to, amount.
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

danlundwall

Postby danlundwall » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:54 pm

I ended up replacing the rear brakes as well.... a heck of alot faster and easier than the front!!

I went on my trip to Baltimore, traveling 2300 miles, stopping at two KOA's (first time ever). I had a blast!! I am still in Baltimore enjoying my bike and hoping that mother nature cooperates :-)

Thanks for all the tips in getting me going!!

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”