Bad vibration/humming through footpegs and handlebars!

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
KEVS89WING
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500 Goldwing

Bad vibration/humming through footpegs and handlebars!

Postby KEVS89WING » Sun May 18, 2014 9:29 pm

Ok. So I found an Avon Roadrider rear Tire 130 – 70–18 size On craigslist for my GL 1500 That I bought to put on the front wheel. It was brand spanking new. I took it in to the shop to have it put on the front of the motorcycle. I told my mechanic that people on all of these forums usually turn the tire in a reverse rotation when they put a rear tire on the front, but he said he never had a problem when he put back tires on the front in the normal rotational direction. So he put the new tire on the front and while he had it in the shop he took the rear wheel off and greased the shaft drive splines and put it back together. When I rode the bike home it had an awful humming and vibration in the handgrips and the foot pegs. That was last autumn. So I put the bike away for the winter then got it out this spring and it was vibrating so Annoyingly I took it in and said maybe the front tire was bad. I actually thought he misaligned my shaft drive and the splines were grinding, But I think the shaft drive is just plug-and-play, right? There shouldn't be any adjustment back there right? He suggested we put on new Front and rear wheel bearings since it had 75,000 miles on the bike. So we did that and I rode it home and the vibration was still there. The vibration goes away when I go around curves and the bike leans. When I go back onto the center of the tire the vibration is bad, but when I lean or swerve the bike, the vibration goes away when it's off the center of the tire tread. So my question is, should I have him turn the tire around for a reverse direction? Will this fix it? Or should I just scrap this tire and buy a new gold wing front tire? I have got to figure this out soon because I am going to Washington DC which takes seven hours riding the bike from Ohio for the memorial day motorcycle ride from the Pentagon to the Washington Monument. I couldn't last more than an hour on the bike with this vibration in the handlebars and the foot pegs

1989 GL1500 Goldwing, loaded
71,000 miles
RESCUED ON 4-24-13 FROM A 5 YEAR NAP IN SOMEONE'S SHED
Maintenance completed: EVERY fluid, every filter, timing belts, fuel pump, and carb rebuild! As of 6-7-13, SHE IS UP AND RUNNING like a smooth beast now!

KEVS89WING

Re: Bad vibration/humming through footpegs and handlebars!

Postby KEVS89WING » Sun May 18, 2014 9:38 pm

By the way, the vibration is present at any speed. I have even put the motorcycle in neutral and coasted down a long steep hill and got up to about 40 mph and the vibration is present on the center of the tire but if I lean the motorcycle either way left or right and it goes off the center of the tire, the vibration goes away and comes back when I get the bike upright on the center of the tire Also, keep in mind that my rear tire is an older elite II, however it has plenty of great tread left and is in very in good shape, So is the front tire a radial and is it fighting the rear tire? Would that create a vibration in the motorcycle? (Having a newer style front tire and an older style rear tire)
71,000 miles
Maintenance completed: EVERY fluid, every filter, timing belts, fuel pump, and carb rebuild! As of 6-7-13, SHE IS UP AND RUNNING like a smooth beast now!

KEVS89WING

Postby KEVS89WING » Sun May 18, 2014 9:45 pm

Oh yes, more info. Tire pressures are perfect, and I have tried every setting of air pressure for the rear adjustable airshock with no difference in vibration. And the vibration is throughout the whole bike, the seat, the handlebars, foot pegs.
71,000 miles

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Mon May 19, 2014 7:09 am

The front tire rotation direction applies only when a rear tire is used for the front. As in double darkside. Either the tire is bad or your mechanic may have done something wrong. Check to make sure he has re-installed the rear wheel spacers correctly. I'm just guessing here but a vibration through out the whole bike makes me think of a problem in the rear.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon May 19, 2014 8:52 am

Finding a vibration that only appears at speed can be frustration to figure out. The fact that the noise/vibration goes away when leaning really points to tire or bearings - and it's almost always tire.

You can check your bearings fairly easily:

This is from my article How to replace your front wheel bearings

Next you need to determine whether the vibration is coming from the front or rear. Typically, if you are feeling it in the handlebars, it's your front wheel, if you're feeling it in the seat/footpegs, it's your rear wheel. This isn't universally true, but it's usually the case.

A trick I've used is to duct tape a small microphone (and I've used an old digital camera for this before, set to record in video mode) next to the wheel. Then ride slowly as you can and still get the noise/vibration to occur. When the microphone (or camera) is right next to the wheel making the noise, it is quite loud - much louder than it is when it's next to the wheel not making the noise.

Mounting a rear tire backwards when mounting on the front is normally done due to the fact that the rear tire is designed to resist (and wear properly) during acceleration, and the front tire is designed to resist during braking - which are in opposite directions. So you take a rear tire designed to resist acceleration, turn it around and mount it on the front, so it will instead resist braking. That said, the tire should definitely not be making noise just because it's mounted on the front.

My suspicion is simply that the front tire is defective in some way - cupped, perhaps?

KEVS89WING

Postby KEVS89WING » Mon May 19, 2014 7:11 pm

I took The bike back to the shop this morning before I got any of your replies. Thanks for the great input dingdong and wing admin. I had took it this morning and told him to turn the front tire around so it is in a reverse direction. Dingdong, I don't know anything about the spacers, but when I pick the bike up tomorrow I will see if it still vibrates. If it does I'm going to ask my mechanic if he did anything with any spacers in the rear. Wing admin, I had him put brand-new wheel bearings front and rear in last week and it still had the vibration, so I hope you are right that it is either bearings or the tire if it leans at angles and goes away and comes back on the middle of the tire. I like the idea of putting a microphone near the front or and rear tires to see if the sound or humming is more prevalent at one place or the other. This would definitely narrow it down to front or back. But the vibration is throughout the whole bike including the seatback rest, the foot pegs, and the handlebars. I will come back tomorrow on Tuesday and let you guys know if it still vibrates after I get back from the shop because he's turning the tire around. I told the mechanic that I am riding it seven hours to Washington DC this weekend and I told him that if it still vibrates, I am going to assume it is a bad tire and if he does not have time to put a new front tire on by Friday, I am not taking the ride, and he said he will make sure we get it straightened out before the weekend. Trust me, I hope it is a defective tire and not something he did to the rear and shaft drive mechanism.
71,000 miles

Mooseman
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE 88k
1986 GL1200A (SOLD) 81K
1985 GL1200A (SOLD) 85K
1986 BMW K75c 25K

Postby Mooseman » Mon May 19, 2014 10:55 pm

When mounting a rear tire on the front. you mount it backwards opposite rear tire rotation. Why, its for when you apply the brakes and put braking forces on the tire. Rear tires are built for acceleration forces and that's why the arrow for rotation. Front tires are built for braking forces. Most wing riders won't challenge these forces so the mechanic hasn't seen any problems.
Vibration could be from a out of round tire or one that has a flat spot in the middle. Front tire is sure suspect since problem started with this tire. If the vibration is that bad, you maybe able to put the bike on the center stand, jack the front wheel off the ground and give it a spin. Looking at it from the side you may be able to see any out of roundness. If this is the problem reversing the tire I don't think will make any difference.
I think the 1500 final drive is like my 1200. If everything is put back together right and torqued their should be no problem there.
Enjoy the ride. They are all good, just some better than others.
Mooseman

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Postby Dusty Boots » Tue May 20, 2014 12:22 pm

KEVS89WING wrote:Also, keep in mind that my rear tire is an older elite II, however it has plenty of great tread left and is in very in good shape,

If the new front tire is a radial, it will have a 'R' designation

I'd be very concerned about that old E II on the rear. Better check the date code on that, as I believe they quit manufacturing them some time ago. If it's 6 years old or more, get rid of it as it isn't safe to ride.

I've ridden with various rear tires on the front. Some reversed and some not. All seem to ether vibrate at a certain speed, or make noise when ridden straight up.
As for your mechanic .... I'd be learning how to do the work yourself so it is done right and will save you a ton of money instead of his guessing.
Just sayin!

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Tue May 20, 2014 2:16 pm

Dusty Boots wrote:
KEVS89WING wrote:Also, keep in mind that my rear tire is an older elite II, however it has plenty of great tread left and is in very in good shape,

As for your mechanic .... I'd be learning how to do the work yourself so it is done right and will save you a ton of money instead of his guessing.Just sayin!

Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

KEVS89WING

Postby KEVS89WING » Wed May 21, 2014 1:25 pm

Ok. I picked up the bike from the shop. I pulled out into the road and Started cruising away in it. And what do you know but the vibration and humming is still just as prevalent as it was before. So I started to turn back around and take the bike back to the shop but then I realize I didn't have a ride home again my ride had left. So I got about halfway home and stopped at a park like to call him and tell him to order me a few front tire. But there was no answer at a shop he had already left. So I started going back home And then a funny thing happened. When I reached 60 mph on the highway the vibration went away totally. At 60 mph and anything above that, the bike was perfectly smooth! But anything below 60 the vibration was consistent from 0 mph up to 55 or 58 mph. Before when the tire was in the correct rotational direction, the vibration was there at absolutely any speed. Now that the tire is turned around to rotate in a reverse direction, the vibration goes away at 60 mph and above. So I'm thinking about making the trip to Washington DC this way as most of my traveling time will be in the 70 mile-per-hour range and will be perfectly smooth. Any input?
71,000 miles

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Wed May 21, 2014 1:28 pm

Input ...
You have a Craigslist purchased tire and a problem with the tire...?
Does that sound like a reasonable description of the problem..?
The solution should be obvious -- BUY a NEW tire...

Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”