noise from gas cap?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
OnPapasWing
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE

noise from gas cap?

Postby OnPapasWing » Mon May 19, 2014 7:20 pm

I was trying to attach a very short video to show the noise I'm talking about but not having any luck.

It seems the noise is coming from the gas tank. If I vent the tank by unscrewing the gas cap the noise stops then after a short while it will start up again. I'm assuming the red line coming from the gas cap is a vent line which, on my bike goes into a canister (although my bike is not a Ca. bike). However, there is a "T" in line that is confusing. What's the purpose of the "T"?

Is this just a problem with a clogged vent in the gas cap and allowing the gas cap to sit overnight in some seafoam will cure?

Maybe the canister is the problem? What if I just disconnect the line from the canister?

I took the bike out for a short (<5 miles) ride after replacing the front tire and brake pads. Speeds less than 45 mph. BTW, this is a '96 GL1500SE.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: noise from gas cap?

Postby WingAdmin » Tue May 20, 2014 8:39 am

Disconnecting the canister will not cause any problems. The reason for the canister is to absorb gasoline fumes that evaporate from the tank.

When the engine is running, and the fuel is being used up, the volume of fuel needs to be replaced with air; the vented cap is supposed to allow this. The fact that the noise goes away when you loosen the cap says to me that your vented cap is clogged. An overnight dip in something like Seafoam will often cure this.

I'm not sure what noise it is that you're describing - if you need help posting your video, let me know, that way we can more accurately diagnose your problem.

OnPapasWing

Postby OnPapasWing » Tue May 20, 2014 11:48 am

I rechecked and discovered that the line does not go to a canister. There is another red line that goes to something (bulbous type item but not the same canister I was talking about earlier) but it's not the one from the gas cap. The line from the gas cap just hangs down below.

I've saved the short video to my dropbox account which I can share out but for some reason I can't get it to upload. I'll try to share the link to you. If it works, maybe you can post if for me. I think it's an important video.

furnacedoc
Motorcycle: 1981 suzuki GS850
1997 1500SE gold wing

Postby furnacedoc » Tue May 20, 2014 8:49 pm

I had the same problem on my 97 gl1500se , I found that I could not blow thru the vent line after it was disconnected from the cap so I followed it down thru the frame and found a place where it was pinched off between the frame and the transmission. relocated it and now it works great ,See ya on the road

OnPapasWing

Postby OnPapasWing » Wed May 21, 2014 5:58 am

I'll take a look. Thanks. Just would seem kind of odd since I didn't disturb anything in that area. And I didn't have problems prior. Stranger things have happened I suppose.

OnPapasWing

Postby OnPapasWing » Wed May 21, 2014 6:08 am

I posted the video on YouTube. Here is the link.

Thoughts?

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Wed May 21, 2014 9:06 am

I sometimes hear a similar noise from my '96 Aspencade as well..
usually after a ride with little fuel in the tank...
I think once the motion stops the engine heat rises against the underside of the fuel tank and heats the fuel.
It expands and the air is displaced due to expansion from heat...
It creates pressure inside the tank - and it vents out making those groaning sounds...
IF you are low on fuel (under 1/2 tank) than I suspect this is the issue...
Try filling with fresh (cool) gas before parking it and see if it stops...although it may still happen if the engine is HOT.
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Postby Dusty Boots » Wed May 21, 2014 9:52 am

Wingsconsin wrote:I sometimes hear a similar noise from my '96 Aspencade as well..
usually after a ride with little fuel in the tank...
I think once the motion stops [b]the engine heat rises against the underside of the fuel tank and heats the fuel.
It expands and the air is displaced due to expansion from heat...
It creates pressure inside the tank - and it vents out making those groaning sounds...

IF you are low on fuel (under 1/2 tank) than I suspect this is the issue...
Try filling with fresh (cool) gas before parking it and see if it stops...although it may still happen if the engine is HOT. [/b]

Bingo!

The engine heat warms up the fuel in the tank and the sounds you hear are from the expansion. Normal and nothing to worry about

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby ct1500 » Wed May 21, 2014 1:43 pm

Not all 15's make that noise so to take it one step further why does yours?

Is the cap to tank rubber seal there or is the cap itself defective, is your fuel blend in your part of the country doing it, is your engine running hot/lean over heating the muffler which is directly underneath tank, are fuel tank/exhaust/engine heat shields missing, etc, etc.
Last edited by ct1500 on Wed May 21, 2014 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

Wingsconsin

Postby Wingsconsin » Wed May 21, 2014 1:49 pm

ct1500 wrote:Not all 15's make that noise so to take it one step further why does yours?

Is the cap to tank seal there or is it the cap itself, is your fuel blend in your part of the country doing it, is your engine running hotter over heating the muffler which is directly underneath tank, are fuel tank/exhaust heat shields missing, etc, etc.

Let's not over analyze it either...

On MINE I have a new seal on the gas cap - clean clear vent hose - Ethanol blend 10% fuel and it does it.
Liquid cooled engine so if the coolant is properly circulating it is doubtful his bike is getting more hot than mine or Dustys.
The mufflers are below the engine (which is below the fuel tank) -
I doubt missing heat shields would cause this problem - perhaps others ...?

Engine heat from normal running - then parked to heat sink - will heat fuel in the tank and expand the vapors causing a groan as it out gasses. I have heard it on several GL1500s (2 in my garage right now) . Usually when lower (less than a 1/2 tank ) on fuel as the mass of fuel will not be able to avoid heating.

Just my experience

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby ct1500 » Wed May 21, 2014 2:09 pm

Wingsconsin wrote:Let's not over analyze it either...

Over analyze? Maybe, but others appreciate the thoroughness.

When customers come in the door and ask why does my vehicle do this or that and none of my other riding buddies with a 15 does I have to give an informed answer and not shrugged shoulders.

And the list I provided are possible reasons why that would at the least need to be looked at before dismissing anything as normal especially when pushing 20 or more yrs. of age and most likely not the original owner who could say my bike did that from day one.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

Wingsconsin

Postby Wingsconsin » Thu May 22, 2014 1:21 pm

ct1500 wrote:
Wingsconsin wrote:Let's not over analyze it either...

Over analyze? Maybe, but others appreciate the thoroughness.

When customers come in the door and ask why does my vehicle do this or that and none of my other riding buddies with a 15 does I have to give an informed answer and not shrugged shoulders.

And the list I provided are possible reasons why that would at the least need to be looked at before dismissing anything as normal especially when pushing 20 or more yrs. of age and most likely not the original owner who could say my bike did that from day one.

Agreed and understood. 8-)

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Postby Dusty Boots » Thu May 22, 2014 6:08 pm

FWIW .... I've had mine since 12,000 k on it. Now has 260,+++ k on it and has done it from day one.

OnPapasWing

Postby OnPapasWing » Thu May 22, 2014 7:35 pm

So, MAYBE nothing to worry about? I've only really had it on a couple of short rides and this was the first time I heard it which is why I was surprised and concerned.

alwims
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 Aspencade
2008 GL1800

Postby alwims » Fri May 23, 2014 12:00 pm

Sounds to me like your bike is telling you "we need to go for another ride for fuel".

OnPapasWing

Postby OnPapasWing » Fri May 23, 2014 2:43 pm

Soon my friend, soon. Need to finish replacing rear brake pads and get the new tire put on. Hoping by tomorrow for sure.

CWJ73
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Previous
1983 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1999 Suzuki SV650S (sold)
1982 GL1100I Interstate (sold)

Postby CWJ73 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:25 pm

OnPapasWing wrote:I posted the video on YouTube. Here is the link.

Thoughts?

My bike began making this sound for the first time (since i got a week and a half ago) this evening after I got home from work. I was also able to isolate the noise to the area of the gas cap if not the gas cap itself. The noise started very shortly after stopping the bike, leaving it idle so i could open the garage door. It continued after i turned the bike of. I opened the gas cap and it was obvious there was but up pressure in the gas tank and when i looked inside the gas looked as if it was boiling. That last for several seconds and the gas settled down and looked normal. I placed the cap back on the tank and within 3 seconds it began humming again. I again opened the cap, released the pressure and to fuel was once again 'boiling' for a few second. I placed the cap back on an no continued noise. I have put 4 tanks of gas in my 1500 since getting it. The first 3 were with 91 octane (once from petrol canada, then Shell, then petrol canada again) the last fill was yesterday night when i put in 89 octane from shell. No noise prior to the 89 octane. I have no idea if this noise occurred for the PO.

I should probably add that I am sitting with just under 1/2 a tank of gas and the engine temp never raised over 1/3 on my ride home from work.

Later this evening I had to head back into for a for a few minutes so I took the bike out for another spin (how convenient :P). Upon arrival at work and later at home no sound was made...
Craig

OnPapasWing

Postby OnPapasWing » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:32 am

Since my initial post I've never heard the noise again. I don't know what the cause was or the fix for that matter. Sorry I couldn't be more help. Just one of those strange gremlins. Man I've got to get someone to gift me a new gremlin bell.

Steve

Wingsconsin

Postby Wingsconsin » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:59 am

CWJ73 wrote:
OnPapasWing wrote:I posted the video on YouTube. Here is the link.

Thoughts?

My bike began making this sound for the first time (since i got a week and a half ago) this evening after I got home from work. I was also able to isolate the noise to the area of the gas cap if not the gas cap itself. The noise started very shortly after stopping the bike, leaving it idle so i could open the garage door. It continued after i turned the bike of. I opened the gas cap and it was obvious there was but up pressure in the gas tank and when i looked inside the gas looked as if it was boiling. That last for several seconds and the gas settled down and looked normal. I placed the cap back on the tank and within 3 seconds it began humming again. I again opened the cap, released the pressure and to fuel was once again 'boiling' for a few second. I placed the cap back on an no continued noise. I have put 4 tanks of gas in my 1500 since getting it. The first 3 were with 91 octane (once from petrol canada, then Shell, then petrol canada again) the last fill was yesterday night when i put in 89 octane from shell. No noise prior to the 89 octane. I have no idea if this noise occurred for the PO.

I should probably add that I am sitting with just under 1/2 a tank of gas and the engine temp never raised over 1/3 on my ride home from work.

Later this evening I had to head back into for a for a few minutes so I took the bike out for another spin (how convenient :P). Upon arrival at work and later at home no sound was made...

I doubt the Octane level of the fuel ahs made a difference. The suspected ingredients are HEAT - LOW FUEL - and PRESSURE

Just as when you cover a pot to make the water boil - the cap lends itself to the equation.
Low fuel levels are not sufficient to prevent a heat sink situation from developing. The Water Temps as shown on your gauge are inconsequential to the issue...
A) The fuel tank sits directly ABOVE the HOT engine and exhaust components
B) These components heat sink once the bike is stopped and the heat rises and warms the fuel tank and the fuel inside.
C) Low amounts of fuel will reach a boiling point and vapors will off gas
D) Pressure cooking increases the phenomenon (closed cap)
E) Try this at altitude (Colorado Mountains) and you may find the bike will quit running until more cooler fuel is introduced to the tank. (Vapor Lock caused by boiling fuel)

I do not believe there is anything worrisome here. Except my garage can sometimes smell for a while as it cools off.

CWJ73

Previous

Postby CWJ73 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:19 pm

Wingsconsin wrote:
I doubt the Octane level of the fuel ahs made a difference. The suspected ingredients are HEAT - LOW FUEL - and PRESSURE

Just as when you cover a pot to make the water boil - the cap lends itself to the equation.
Low fuel levels are not sufficient to prevent a heat sink situation from developing. The Water Temps as shown on your gauge are inconsequential to the issue...
A) The fuel tank sits directly ABOVE the HOT engine and exhaust components
B) These components heat sink once the bike is stopped and the heat rises and warms the fuel tank and the fuel inside.
C) Low amounts of fuel will reach a boiling point and vapors will off gas
D) Pressure cooking increases the phenomenon (closed cap)
E) Try this at altitude (Colorado Mountains) and you may find the bike will quit running until more cooler fuel is introduced to the tank. (Vapor Lock caused by boiling fuel)

I do not believe there is anything worrisome here. Except my garage can sometimes smell for a while as it cools off.

Thanks. I'll try out your suggestions and see how it goes.

This morning I noticed a very strong smell of gas in my garage which was also new. The 1500 is the only vehicle I have parked in it right now so it is the only source of the smell.
Craig

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:34 am

Buy a can or two of Seafoam, pour it into a bowl, then throw your gas cap in there and let it soak overnight. I suspect that will eliminate the noise you're hearing.

CWJ73

Previous

Postby CWJ73 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:27 am

WingAdmin wrote:Buy a can or two of Seafoam, pour it into a bowl, then throw your gas cap in there and let it soak overnight. I suspect that will eliminate the noise you're hearing.

Thanks I will give that a try as well.
Craig

Naben
Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Goldwing 1500 SE Trike

Postby Naben » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:46 pm

Im experiencing the same thing on my 96 Goldwing SE. I had been out on a long ride with my group today and when I pulled into my garage I heard the whining noise,,at first it was faint, then It got louder. Didn't know where the heck it was coming from, so I put my ear close to the bike in different spots and traced it to the gas cap. I unscrewed it and it immediately stopped, then screwed it back on and within a few mins, it started right back whining. So I unscrewed it for the night until i can take it to my mechanic and see if he can unclogged the cap like you guys said. Im glad I searched this problem on the site...at least now I know what the problem is. :) ;)

Naben

Postby Naben » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:56 pm

Personally, i think its the type of gas. I had been using Chevron high octane and no noise, then today when i road with my group, they stopped at Quick Trip, so I put the mid grade in my tank, twice!. I think after I use this tank of gas up, I'll go back to Chevron.

Naben

Postby Naben » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:59 pm

If i have to use another brand of gas while out riding and cant find a Chevron, Im only going to put the high octane in my baby.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”