Trailer plug

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Trailer plug

Postby Uncle Fester » Thu May 22, 2014 10:11 pm

This may have been covered, but I had no luck with the SEARCH feature.
How do I install a trailer plug ( bike side ) on my 1996 GL1500. I want to install a round 5 wire plug.

I need to know where to tie in to my bikes harness, best place to mount relays, all that fun stuff.

THANKS in advance !

Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

Aussie_Rider
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Goldwing
1988 Honda VLX Steed

Re: Trailer plug

Postby Aussie_Rider » Fri May 23, 2014 5:54 am

I took the easy way out and bought a pre-made trailer harness from ebay with all the plugs and relays already wired in.
It was very easy to install and works a treat.

Trailer Wiring Harness with Relays for Honda Goldwing GL1500 '88-'00
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Trailer-Wiring-Harness-with-Relays-for-Honda-Goldwing-GL1500-88-00-45-8945-/291114129013?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43c7c11675

;)
1988 GL1500 Goldwing
1988 Honda VLX Steed

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri May 23, 2014 10:17 am

You can get the identical harness from Cyclemax for almost half the price:

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500_ ... /129/59647

I find that for the most part, eBay is rarely a good deal for new parts anymore. eBay charges so much in fees, that in order to maintain a profit margin, retailers who sell items on eBay are forced to mark them up. Anytime I see something new on eBay, I can almost always find selling online for much less elsewhere.

In any case, I can also recommend this isolator. I was going to build my own, but this one was good quality and available for much less than it would have cost me to buy the PARTS in order to build it.

I bought a round trailer plug (to match the one on my trailer) and mounted it to the hitch that slides into my bike's receiver. I then put a waterproof disconnect that plugs into the wires that come from the isolator. That way I can remove the hitch and the connector from the bike, and the only evidence of there being trailer hardware is the receiver slot.

If you're interested, I can take pictures of it when I get home tonight.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Fri May 23, 2014 10:28 am

+1 On WingAdmins post. I even bought some stuff on ebay that was sold by cyclemax, (before I knew there was a Cyclemax) and it cost me 20% more than Cyclemax sold it for on their web site. I priced all the items later on their home site and found that, so I wrote to the owner. He explained it all to me. I have bought directly from them ever since and that has been probably four years now. No more ebay for new stuff for my bikes. I have, however, gotten some terrific deals on New Old Stock from dealerships that sold it all off on ebay. As my bike is silver, all the after market chrome stuff just kind of fades into the bike, so I found a bunch of carbon fibre trim (took a lot of searching and from a lot of dealerships) but I got it for between 10 and 20 cents on the dollar and trimmed my bike all in carbon fiber trim strips.

As to you wanting to use the five wire round connector? I wish you luck with that one. I never had any luck at all connecting the wires inside one of those five wire rounds. They are real pretty and neat, and you can even get a bracket for the five wire that mounts on the hitch, but I always broke wires trying to get the five wire onto the harness. I gave it up and went to a five wire flat. But that was me. You're mileage may vary.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Fri May 23, 2014 11:07 am

themainviking wrote:As to you wanting to use the five wire round connector? I wish you luck with that one. I never had any luck at all connecting the wires inside one of those five wire rounds. They are real pretty and neat, and you can even get a bracket for the five wire that mounts on the hitch, but I always broke wires trying to get the five wire onto the harness. I gave it up and went to a five wire flat. But that was me. You're mileage may vary.

I had no problem with that at all - just put the wires in each terminal and tighten them up. It looked like this (I know this is a 7 position, not a five, but it's the only picture I could find online):

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Fri May 23, 2014 11:20 am

Thanks for the info on the premade harnesses, did not know they where offered. As I get closer to getting a trailer, I will order a harness too.

I have wired a few 5 and 7 wire plugs over the years with no problem, so I should be good there.
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Fri May 23, 2014 12:00 pm

I've used the five wire a few times. I have them on both my wings. The way I defeated the less than acceptable screw terminal set up, I removed the screws and soldered the wires directly into the wire cups using a Weller soldering gun. No more faulty connections and no possibility of stripped threads from over tightening screws or stripped screw heads. Easy to de-solder too if necessary. By the way, shrinkable tubing is your friend, use it.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Fri May 23, 2014 6:30 pm

WingAdmin wrote:I had no problem with that at all - just put the wires in each terminal and tighten them up. It looked like this (I know this is a 7 position, not a five, but it's the only picture I could find online):

The one I had difficulty with was not as you have shown. I have never had any difficulty working with plugs as you have shown. The screw connectors just cut the wires to pieces when attempting to attach them in the chrome plug I was referring to. Also, the plug I have was about the size of a man's thumb. It was a really neat item, but I could not make it work. A further poster mentioned soldering the wires, which may work fine, but I did not try that. The plug I was referring to or one somewhat like it can be found here:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/55 ... C_ID=10010
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Fri May 23, 2014 11:10 pm

I like the plug set you linked us too, but not that price IF that is just the male, female plugs and mounting plate. . . .

I found these at Northern Tool. . . .

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200303941

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200303939

Add the wiring harness linked earlier. . . I think I am set ! Thanks all. . .

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Sat May 24, 2014 12:17 am

The connector is the same one I used and soldered the connections.

You can see that the terminal screw goes in the top and the wire is to supposedly go in the side. If it weren't for the fact that the connector with 16 or 18 gauge wires attached needed to be crammed into the small housing, it would be an acceptable arrangement. And I suppose it has been acceptable for many but I just didn't like it. So I removed the screws and tossed them in the trash. I fluxed the brass receiver cups. I fluxed and tinned five each, eight inch color coded wires and then soldered them in place with a soldering gun and assembled the connector. Once the connector was assembled, I continuity tested the five wires and marked their position relative to the key way so I could mate them with the receptacle wires.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

gordonv
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500
1999 GL1500CF
1982 GL1100A

Postby gordonv » Sat May 24, 2014 5:07 pm

I bought this one from Wingstuff.

http://wingstuff.com/products/3028-trai ... arness-kit

I haven't installed yet, put figure I need to wire in the end connect for the trailer.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue May 27, 2014 10:06 pm

MikeB wrote:The connector is the same one I used and soldered the connections.

You can see that the terminal screw goes in the top and the wire is to supposedly go in the side. If it weren't for the fact that the connector with 16 or 18 gauge wires attached needed to be crammed into the small housing, it would be an acceptable arrangement. And I suppose it has been acceptable for many but I just didn't like it. So I removed the screws and tossed them in the trash. I fluxed the brass receiver cups. I fluxed and tinned five each, eight inch color coded wires and then soldered them in place with a soldering gun and assembled the connector. Once the connector was assembled, I continuity tested the five wires and marked their position relative to the key way so I could mate them with the receptacle wires.

You know what, now that I see your picture, I realize that's exactly the type I had, and I did the exact same thing - removed the screws, put the wires into the ends, and filled them up with solder. I had completely forgotten that until I saw that picture.

As for my trailer connector that I mentioned previously, I took some pictures. This horribly out of focus picture is the connector next to the receiver on my bike. It has a cover over it, to protect it from moisture and dirt while it is not being used - it's the rectangle on the left of the receiver.

Connector on bike
Connector on bike

Here is the other end of the connector that plugs into the bike, this is on the hitch itself.

Connector on hitch
Connector on hitch

And here is the whole hitch, showing the rectangular connector which then connects to the round trailer connector:

Hitch with round trailer connector
Hitch with round trailer connector

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Tue May 27, 2014 10:27 pm

I need to look under my bike better I guess. I do not see someone putting a hitch on the bike and NOT having some kind of wiring connector, but maybe they did. . . .

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”