The Money Pit

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Avalon97
Motorcycle: 1996 Aspencade

The Money Pit

Postby Avalon97 » Sun May 25, 2014 7:57 pm

O.K....I've been working on a 96 Aspencade I picked up last year during a bout of midlife crisis. I have replaced the timing belts, and (had them confirmed that they were done correctly as I am just a wannabe backyard wrencher). The bike had a miss and I found that one of my cylinders was not firing and had a bad spark plug wire so I replaced that. The bike runs a lot better, it starts and idles fine..however, under heavy acceleration the bike backfires out of the carbs. I've had 2 issues resolved by posting on this website and the advise here is great. On this next issue can anyone give me any suggestions on what I should check? I'm at a point where I am about to turn the bike into a clothing rack. Thanks.

Sidcar
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500/6 with Watsonian Oxford sidecar

Re: The Money Pit

Postby Sidcar » Mon May 26, 2014 3:50 am

Misfire, weak mixture, timing.
If you've had to change one plug wire what are the rest like, they could be breaking down under load.
How old/worn are the plugs.
Are the accelerator pumps working? Have the carbs been cleaned out in living memory.
Is the ignition advancing as it should?
Air leaks. What's the condition of the vacuum tubing to and from the carbs?

Checking that lot should keep you quiet for an hour or two, let us know how you get on.

Sid

Patriccio
Motorcycle: 1980 Goldwing
Interstate: in progress
1979 Honda CX500 Stolen
1982 Yamaha Seca 650 Sold

Postby Patriccio » Mon May 26, 2014 9:35 pm

You could also run some Sea Foam through it to clean the carbs. After you have checked everything Sid suggested, you can sync the carbs, but you would have to buy or build the device to sync them. If there is old gas in the tank, dump it & replace it, & run the Sea Foam through. The stuff works.

LloydB
Motorcycle: 08 GL1800 ABS/Hannigan GTL sidecar
Roll-A-Home camper
1995 GL1500SE with a Hannigan Astro 2+2 sidecar

Postby LloydB » Tue May 27, 2014 11:31 pm

The 1500s seem to have a problem with vacuum hoses under the carbs developing leaks, and that can cause a carb backfire, could be several things, but those hoses would be one of the things to check.

Lloyd and Judy
Comfort, Tx.
08 GL1800 ABS with a Hannigan GTL sidecar
Roll-A-Home camper

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”