questions on foot heaters and other fun stuff

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
OnPapasWing
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE

questions on foot heaters and other fun stuff

Postby OnPapasWing » Tue May 27, 2014 7:34 am

I haven't looked yet (will tonight) but I suspect that the foot heater doors aren't fully closing. I was riding this weekend and could feel quite a bit of warm air on the feet. I checked the knob and it was all the way off which makes me think it's just not closing all the way. Is there a way to adjust those?

Also, after new brake pads all the way around and new rubber I took it for a spin and noticed some bouncing (like bad shocks). So I believe I need to rebuild the front suspension.

Right front brake has a scraping noise when I apply the lever. I should probably consider a caliper rebuild. Any thoughts on the best place to get the new pistons and seals?

Last thing is I noticed when I have the bike on the center stand and I bring it down it seems to come down hard and it sounds like the back of the bike is bottoming out. Is this normal? I don't want to damage anything.

baumedagn
Motorcycle: 2012
GL1800HPNM

Re: questions on foot heaters and other fun stuff

Postby baumedagn » Tue May 27, 2014 11:11 am

Yes, there is an adjustment of the heater doors. You'll have to remove the front cowling and find the adjusters on the cables. I would be concerned about the "bouncing". Was it there before the tire was changed? If not, I would look to the tire. Out of round, improper balance. I would also check to be sure the spacers for the axle have been installed correctly. Since you say the brake is "scraping", having the spacers in wrong could cause both conditions. Also make sure the axle isn't over torqued. My 1990 also sounded like it was bottoming out. What I found was the lower bushings in the rear shocks we gone. The plastic (or whatever) bushing was gone but the metal ring was still there. I had to cut out the metal ring and install new bushings from a Valkyrie. Honda doesn't offer replacement bushings for a Goldwing.

OnPapasWing
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE

Postby OnPapasWing » Tue May 27, 2014 11:28 am

I'm 99.9% that all parts were properly installed and torqued. I don't recall if the bouncing was there before or not since I didn't really put to many miles on it since I bought the bike. I've been spending more time with baseline maintenance. Both tires showed signs of cupping, which in my mind would indicate poor suspension. I suppose I could also try some Dyna-beads for balancing.
Brake only scrapes when the lever is applied, and it doesn't do it all the time. Almost like something is hanging up. when I pull and release the lever a couple of times it seems to quite down. Which is what prompted me to think that I just need to look at a caliper rebuild. I did clean and lube the slider pins while it was apart. Fortunately with the linked brakes I tend to use the pedal more often along with downshifting. So I can minimize using the right front brake until I get a chance to look at it.

for the rear shocks I was thinking that they were just worn out. I've got about 42 psi in the right side. And I've only heard that while removing the bike from the center stand.

baumedagn
Motorcycle: 2012
GL1800HPNM

Postby baumedagn » Tue May 27, 2014 6:39 pm

Tire cupping can be caused by suspension issues however, it can also be due to improper pressure. As you say both tires were cupped, and you just recently purchased the bike, I suspect the PO wasn't too diligent in checking tire pressure. When you replaced the brake pads, did you also change the brake fluid? Although I haven't experienced this, the return port in the master cylinder can become clogged with debris and cause the condition you have described.

As for the rear suspension, when I had my 1500, I don't remember running the pressure over 34-35. I also had a clunk when I took the bike off the center stand, and if I hit a good bump in the road. I almost sounded like the spring on the center stand was weak causing it to "bounce" up and hit the frame. I didn't find the problem until I replaced the rear tire. During that process I removed the saddlebags and found the bushings on both sides gone. I was amazed at how much better the bike rode and handled after I replaced them. I would imagine this too could cause bad tire wear.

wing in atlanta
Motorcycle: 1996 gl1500a aspencade

Postby wing in atlanta » Sat May 31, 2014 8:55 pm

I use dyna beads, I believe they help with cupping tires. And keep the tire pressures checked. I also had to replace my rear shock lower bushings. You can service the right rear shock with new fluid, it helped mine.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”