Neutral story

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
hap2
Motorcycle: 1992 GoldWing 1500SE

Neutral story

Postby hap2 » Wed May 28, 2014 1:45 pm

I turned a corner on the 1500 SE to park right away. I couldn't find neutral & I was in a bit of a hurry, so I just put the clutch in & roll it back to the curb. Once the back tire was form against the curb, I shut the bike down, assuming that once my appt was over, I would find neutral & be on my way, But I just couldn't find it. At least no green neutral light would come on. The bike was on an angle against the curb so I couldn't roll it as it's heavy & facing uphill. I tired & tried with no luck. I didn't know who to phone except a toe truck. While I was waiting for the tow truck, I tried to manually (with my hand on the shifter) find neutral. I knew once I found it, the green neutral light would come on. I found 5th as the orange overdrive light came on, but still couldn't find neutral. The tow truck came. He hooked the front tire up to the dolly to winch it in the trailer. Once the bike was stabilized with the cable from the tow truck & the front wheel in the dolly, the tow driver wanted me to sit on it to center it, so I did. I thot I might as well try neutral again. To my relief, the green neutral came on! Obviously, I didn't need to have it towed anywhere as it started. But I would like to get some help on figuring out what happened & why it didn't go in neutral easily.

Also, something happened a few weeks ago that I would like to fix. I had one end of a bungy chord hooked up to the spring on the side stand. All of a sudden, the tension of the side stand has disappeared making the side stand very easy to put down. With that, the safety mechanism that makes the bike not start if the kick stand is down is not operational now & I would like it to be. If you know, please tell me what I have to do to fix that.

Thank you very much

OnPapasWing
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE

Re: Neutral story

Postby OnPapasWing » Wed May 28, 2014 1:54 pm

So, are you saying that the bike wouldn't start while in gear, even with the clutch lever pulled in?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed May 28, 2014 2:35 pm

OnPapasWing wrote:So, are you saying that the bike wouldn't start while in gear, even with the clutch lever pulled in?

It won't do that if the kickstand is down. The rules are:

- Bank angle sensor must not be triggered
- Reverse lever off

In addition to these, one of the following must be true:

- Transmission in neutral
- Transmission not in neutral, but kickstand up AND clutch lever pulled in

The fact that the spring has become disconnected (or whatever) from the sidestand is the problem. If he had pulled the kickstand up with his foot while squeezing the clutch in and pressing the starter, I'm pretty sure it would have started.

Examine the kickstand and figure out what you damaged by tying the bungee to the spring.

OnPapasWing
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE

Postby OnPapasWing » Wed May 28, 2014 3:42 pm

I agree with what you are saying, WA, but I was reading the OP as though there were two separate issues. The first didn't state that the side stand was down. Which is what prompted my question. This thinking was due to the fact that the second part of the story indicated that the side stand issue occurred quite some time earlier "something happened a few weeks ago that I would like to fix..." but since he was riding it that the side stand issue didn't affect the ride-ability.

Now I'm confused.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu May 29, 2014 10:25 am

OnPapasWing wrote:I agree with what you are saying, WA, but I was reading the OP as though there were two separate issues. The first didn't state that the side stand was down. Which is what prompted my question. This thinking was due to the fact that the second part of the story indicated that the side stand issue occurred quite some time earlier "something happened a few weeks ago that I would like to fix..." but since he was riding it that the side stand issue didn't affect the ride-ability.

Now I'm confused.

I agree. With the kickstand down, the bike shouldn't run at all if it is in gear, but the fact that he couldn't get it started while in gear, plus the fact that something was wrong with the kickstand, says to me that is the likely issue.

Sempai
Motorcycle: '94 GL1500SE

Postby Sempai » Sat May 31, 2014 3:42 am

You might also check the clutch lever for excessive wear in the bushing right where the master cylinder's pushrod contacts the lever. That pushrod likes to wear away INTO the bushing and keep on wearing into the lever itself. Classic symptoms include increased difficulty in finding neutral while the engine is running, and not being able to start the bike while in gear with the clutch pulled in (side stand up.)
Here's a picture of a GL1500 lever that was left to take its own coarse. This bike's symptoms included the previously mentioned symptoms as well as a generous clunking into gear from neutral as well as the bike lurching forward while stopped, engine running, and clutch lever pulled all the way in...
Keep the rubber side down.

Doug B.
Motorcycle: 1998 Honda GL1500SE with DFT Trike kit
1998 HondaGL1500SE
1995 Honda GL1500I
1984 Honda VF700 Magna
1975 Honda MT250 Elsinore
1970 Honda CT70HKO (4 speed)

Postby Doug B. » Sat May 31, 2014 7:06 am

My opinion is if hap2 would have been able to "rock" the bike just the tiniest bit with the clutch disengaged, the bike could have been shifted into the neutral position, although this may have required somebody to help him. I must say I have never been in that predicament. I never pull tight to a curb so I can rock my bike if needed to find neutral. I always park my bike in gear to avoid it rolling one way or the other. A lesson learned when I almost had my bike roll forward off it's sidestand once. I just caught it before it went on it's side!

"The only problem with 'common sense' is that it is not all that common." Charles Kuralt

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”