Radio display

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
eastkytriker
Motorcycle: 1990 Goldwing 1500-motortrike conversion
2008 Goldwing 1800/ Roadsmith HTS 1800

Radio display

Postby eastkytriker » Fri May 30, 2014 8:13 am

I have a 1500SE and sometimes when I go over a bump the digital radio display goes off and it will come back on after awhile. I have checked the radio plugs on the radio end so the problem must be somewhere else.

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Re: Radio display

Postby Uncle Fester » Fri May 30, 2014 3:10 pm

I would look at the connector at the base of the LCD screen. . .

This How to shows you how to get to the LCD screen.

Best of luck and let us know.
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

Sempai
Motorcycle: '94 GL1500SE

Re: Radio display

Postby Sempai » Fri May 30, 2014 7:04 pm

I had similar symptoms...found the problem while troubleshooting something entirely unrelated..

The connection(s) at the fuse itself, inside the left side panel, were just a tad loose. There was just enough tension to hold the fuse in place, and electricity would even flow through as intended. But wiggle it with a finger and the flow would sporadically be interrupted. I used a flat jeweler's screwdriver to tweak the fuse receptacles (all of them) tighter just a bit and I haven't lost my radio over a bump ever since.
Moreover, at one time while I was under the radio for other reasons, I used the same technique to all the receptacles in both of the radio connectors...and then the radio came on louder than I'd ever heard it before!!
Keep the rubber side down.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”