Fuel gauge not working!!!

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
celford30
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500A Aspencade

Fuel gauge not working!!!

Postby celford30 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:46 am

Recently replaced lights inside my instrument panel. Fuel gauge was working prior to taking panel apart. Prior to reassembling panel noticed that the fuel gauge read a quarter of a tank, but paid it no mind. Once bike was back together I took it out for a 40 mile ride. I Noticed gauge had not moved, prior to returning home I filled up the tank that's when I realized I had a problem. Fuel gauge did not move a hair. What is it I could have done while panel was disassembled? Note bike sat for three months, but if problem was with float the fill should have free it and I believe gauge should read empty when off or disconnected. HELP :? Sorry bike is a 91Asp 75k

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Fuel gauge not working!!!

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:06 pm

celford30 wrote:Recently replaced lights inside my instrument panel. Fuel gauge was working prior to taking panel apart. Prior to reassembling panel noticed that the fuel gauge read a quarter of a tank, but paid it no mind. Once bike was back together I took it out for a 40 mile ride. I Noticed gauge had not moved, prior to returning home I filled up the tank that's when I realized I had a problem. Fuel gauge did not move a hair. What is it I could have done while panel was disassembled? Note bike sat for three months, but if problem was with float the fill should have free it and I believe gauge should read empty when off or disconnected. HELP :? Sorry bike is a 91Asp 75k

First thing to do is to take the seat off and measure the fuel level sender using an ohmmeter, across the connectors on the fuel sender that are connected to the yellow/white and green/black wires. At empty it should read 90-100 ohms, at reserve 66-76 ohms, at full 4-10 ohms. If it checks out, then short out the two wires in the connector and switch the bike on. The fuel gauge should rise to full. If not, the problem is with a connector or the gauge itself.

OnPapasWing
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE

Postby OnPapasWing » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:18 pm

Hey WA, in your post about changing the dash lamps you mention not to turn the display upside down. Could it be that this is what celford30 did? What are the symptoms of this?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:38 pm

OnPapasWing wrote:Hey WA, in your post about changing the dash lamps you mention not to turn the display upside down. Could it be that this is what celford30 did? What are the symptoms of this?

A lot of gauges use oil to damp the movement - so the needles move slowly, instead of vibrating around. This oil can leak out if the gauges are inverted. Nothing will be damaged, but you could find oil in the face of the instrument, as well as the damping will not work correctly.

celford30
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500A Aspencade

Postby celford30 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:22 am

WOW Thanks Guys,
Good starting points, 1st, Sadly I don't remember anything about not inverting the display when changing lamps unfortunately it laid in many positions on a towel while on my wife's dinning room table and also later in the garage after she moved it( If oil leaked out, towel would have kept me from noticing). Presently the needle sits at a quarter full, and did not move when tank was filled. Is there a way to replace loss oil if that is my situation and what type is it. 2nd I will try WA test tomorrow I will supply feedback. ;)

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”