Shifter Shaft Seal and Shift Pivot Update

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Shifter Shaft Seal and Shift Pivot Update

Postby Wingsconsin » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:44 am

My nearly new 1996 GL1500 (only 126,000 miles) was in dire need of a new shifter shaft seal due to the leak from the old seal.
So I followed the tutorial found here on this site and it allowed me to get to the seal - the step by step directions are prefect - but I COULD NOT get the seal out - My hands or tools were ineffective in getting the seal to budge - and it looked pretty good still so I decided that it was probably still okay and the leak was just from movement caused by the way the shift shaft was torqued during shifting - and that process was going to be fixed by the shift pivot -

I buttoned it up after installing the pivot and went for a ride - and it ran well , shifted great and I was happy...until I parked it back in my garage and watched the oil dripping from the NOW VERY LEAKY seal.... :x

So I was lucky enough to have to remove all of those parts AGAIN to get to the seal to replace it. This time I removed the crash bar, and dropped the header exhaust pipe as well to afford me LOTS of access. (Doing this is not recommended as the headers can be a problem for a novice mechanic - but I did it anyway) -- Once I was able to get to the seal (easier to remove the shifter dogleg as you can get to it easily from the bottom with a ratchet extension - II used a 8") I used my dental pick hook shaped and inserted it into the gap between the seal and the shaft itself rather than against the engine case and pulling down and out it popped right out - it was much easier to get out as well...??

The easier to get out part really confused me - as I had pulled and pryed and tugged on it before but it was stuck in there something amazing so that is why I felt it was probably still OKAY (wrong). But after some considerable thought I realized this ... The first time I was trying to get it out was BEFORE I had started the bike from the winter layover. The battery was still in the basement on the tender. Once I ran the bike the seal came out really pretty easy... !!? I think the seal was 'dry' before I ran the bike and stuck on the shaft and in the opening - so once I ran the bike the oil lubed it up and made it easy to get out - the seal was softer ... just my hypothesis .

My pivot was one of the first couple of 100 he sold and the bolt I received was the wrong pitch for the hole I was screwing it into. I ran off to the local hardware and bought a correct bolt of the right pitch and same length and it worked perfectly.

AS for the FUNCTION of the Pivot --

If you own a GL1500 and do not have one of these on your bike you are missing out. I have ridden my bike for over 85,000 miles of the 126,000 that are on it - I KNOW how it shifts - the little "snick" I get when going into 4th gear, the small "grind" I get downshifting into 1st too early , and the sloppy 4th to OD feel at speed. ALL of that is GONE. The bike shifts like a NEW transmission was put in. Better than it ever had before . ;)

GL1500 Owners -- BUY and INSTALL the Shift Pivot ! It will be the best money you have ever spent on your bike - :ugeek:

Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me

Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing 1200 Aspencade

Re: Shifter Shaft Seal and Shift Pivot Update

Postby maestro319 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:52 am

I'd love to see a pic of a shift pivot. Cost? Ease of installation? Work with a "heel-toe" shifter? Thanks for any info you can provide

Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500se aspencade, 1996 1300 yamaha royalstar

Postby yamaha96 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:56 pm

i have a heal-toe -shifter, and i put a pivot unit on my 1989 goldwing, the only thing i had to do was make sure i didn't tighten the bolt that goes through your motor guard to tight, i also had to put a one-half inch longer bolt in it , because my running board went through this same mount, but it shifts fine, i have had no trouble with it so far, sorry did not take pictures, and did not replace my seal, it was not leaking, your Va. friend, Mike.

Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:14 pm

maestro319 wrote:I'd love to see a pic of a shift pivot. Cost? Ease of installation? Work with a "heel-toe" shifter? Thanks for any info you can provide

The development of the unit can be read here: GL1500 shift shaft stabilizer mod. No drilling.

You can see pictures and a description of its installation here: How to install the GL1500 shifter brace

Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Postby hawker748 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:11 pm

Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:03 pm

You can get them off eBay directly from peppi-le-pew here
or Cyclemax here
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:57 pm

My shift shaft is starting to leak some, so I will be replaceing the seal and adding the shaft pivot at the same time. Really hope, and truthfully have no doubts, it works as well as the 100s of folks who have used it here say it does. . . .

Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”