Electrical issue 97 Gl 1500 SE

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
sczinege
Motorcycle: 1997 Honda Goldwing GL1500 SE

Electrical issue 97 Gl 1500 SE

Postby sczinege » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:00 pm

Hi Guys. Have a nagging problem that occurs periodically. I will turn the key to first click, no clock, then to the second click to start it ,and it does not do the bulb test, nor is the clock on. The bike starts & runs perfectly and after a few miles the clock comes on & it goes thru the bulb test as well. Then it won't act up for awhile. Also the readout to check the air pressure in the shocks doesn't appear while this is happening. I have already replaced the electrical harness at the bottom of the ignition switch & have silicon di-electric grease in most of the bikes electrical terminals. Sometimes everything works except the clock has lost time. I will be checking fuse 13, because I just read about it on this page, but it can't cause a failed bulb test as well can it ? Has anyone encountered and solved this problem?

Steve

Keep the rubber side down - Steve

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Electrical issue 97 Gl 1500 SE

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:55 pm

sczinege wrote:Hi Guys. Have a nagging problem that occurs periodically. I will turn the key to first click, no clock, then to the second click to start it ,and it does not do the bulb test, nor is the clock on. The bike starts & runs perfectly and after a few miles the clock comes on & it goes thru the bulb test as well. Then it won't act up for awhile. Also the readout to check the air pressure in the shocks doesn't appear while this is happening. I have already replaced the electrical harness at the bottom of the ignition switch & have silicon di-electric grease in most of the bikes electrical terminals. Sometimes everything works except the clock has lost time. I will be checking fuse 13, because I just read about it on this page, but it can't cause a failed bulb test as well can it ? Has anyone encountered and solved this problem?

Steve

I suspect your tail lights are also not working when you have this problem. They are all controlled by fuse 8 and relay 3. My guess is that relay 3 is failed and needs to be replaced.

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:37 pm

This is a well know, and well discussed issue, peculiar to the '96 and '97 GL's. I have a '97 with the identical symptoms. It is related to humidity, and I can attest to that. It, from other discussions, is caused by humidity effecting the clock / circuitry near the gauges. Do a search for clock issues and you will find plenty of comments regarding your problem. There is a 'fix' described in one of the online 'how to' sections. The effectiveness of that fix is debatable. Some people have had luck, others have not. But, living in Florida, where we have plenty of humidity, I can assure you that is the cause. On the RARE days where our humidity is low, the problem goes away for just that long. And, it effects each and every item you described.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:22 am

Bluewaterhooker0 wrote:This is a well know, and well discussed issue, peculiar to the '96 and '97 GL's. I have a '97 with the identical symptoms. It is related to humidity, and I can attest to that. It, from other discussions, is caused by humidity effecting the clock / circuitry near the gauges. Do a search for clock issues and you will find plenty of comments regarding your problem. There is a 'fix' described in one of the online 'how to' sections. The effectiveness of that fix is debatable. Some people have had luck, others have not. But, living in Florida, where we have plenty of humidity, I can assure you that is the cause. On the RARE days where our humidity is low, the problem goes away for just that long. And, it effects each and every item you described.

I don't think his issue is the LCD problem you're describing. He said his console isn't doing the bulb test, which means it isn't getting any voltage at all. Then, after he rides a bit, suddenly it comes to life, does the bulb test, and works just fine from then on. To me, that says the relay is sticking. Once he rides a bit and it gets jolted a few times, it finally comes to life, powering up the dash.

If he turns the bike on, and the dash is dead, then gives the relay a sharp rap with the end of a screwdriver handle and it comes to life, then you know it's bad. Or, just swap that relay with another one (they're all the same) and see if it solves the problem.

sczinege

Postby sczinege » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:51 am

Thanks a lot for all the input. Never even occurred to me that maybe other components ( tail lights ) may not be working at the same time. I will be checking out fuses 8 & 13 ,& relay 3. Hopefully it is as simple as that.

sczinege

Postby sczinege » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:54 am

Will also look for a fix in the - how to- section.

sczinege

Postby sczinege » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:37 am

WingAdmin wrote:
Bluewaterhooker0 wrote:This is a well know, and well discussed issue, peculiar to the '96 and '97 GL's. I have a '97 with the identical symptoms. It is related to humidity, and I can attest to that. It, from other discussions, is caused by humidity effecting the clock / circuitry near the gauges. Do a search for clock issues and you will find plenty of comments regarding your problem. There is a 'fix' described in one of the online 'how to' sections. The effectiveness of that fix is debatable. Some people have had luck, others have not. But, living in Florida, where we have plenty of humidity, I can assure you that is the cause. On the RARE days where our humidity is low, the problem goes away for just that long. And, it effects each and every item you described.

I don't think his issue is the LCD problem you're describing. He said his console isn't doing the bulb test, which means it isn't getting any voltage at all. Then, after he rides a bit, suddenly it comes to life, does the bulb test, and works just fine from then on. To me, that says the relay is sticking. Once he rides a bit and it gets jolted a few times, it finally comes to life, powering up the dash.

If he turns the bike on, and the dash is dead, then gives the relay a sharp rap with the end of a screwdriver handle and it comes to life, then you know it's bad. Or, just swap that relay with another one (they're all the same) and see if it solves the problem.

This is driving me nuts! While the bike was displaying the symptoms, I removed the saddle bag & seat & got to the fuses & relays. Here are the facts. It is not Fuses 13 & 8. It is not relay 3. I switched it out with 3 other ones that were working. Also the taillights were working when the symptoms were evident, more proof it is not relay3. Another symptom is that the LCD unit is lit up but completely blank. The air pressure readings don't show nor does the air pump work.The radio works but no display on LCD.
Why the 96 & 97 models .What did they do or not do to cause a problem for 2 years? How can it fix itself when the bike isn't even running? Yesterday while it was acting up I left the key turned on the first click, by accident, which should have showed the clock( but did not), I returned an hour later and noticed the clock display was showing. Turned the key to run & it did the bulb test also.How can that have no connection & then work & the bike wasn't even running? If it is a connection how can it re-connect itself? Could it be the LCD unit? Has anyone ever solved this problem? This is driving me NUTS :x

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:25 pm

I get the same thing on my '96 almost every time I turn the key on after it sits overnight. No display on the LCD and sometimes even no bulb test. I don't have to ride it to get the display and bulbs back though. Usually, 5-10 minutes of listening to the radio without ever cranking it and I can turn the key off then back on and all's good.

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby ct1500 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:34 pm

The LCD is what controls the bulb check test and when LCD is out air suspension will also be out.

That was the year Honda started to put chinese built components in the bikes same as the alternator problems.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

Bluewaterhooker0

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:00 am

I stand by my first observation of a humidity related problem. I have never noticed my display and problems correcting themselves without running the bike. However, I suspect that an explanation of what you experienced can be explained by the heat of the dash lights drying out the circuitry while you accidentally left the key on for an extended time. If you want to test my theory, you could turn on the key to witness the problem some time, and accelerate the drying process by pointing a hair dryer trough and around the dash area from the front of the bike. I did this test on mine, and was able to make the display and other problems go away pretty quickly. I tested mine at the same time I was checking a brakelight modulator that I suspected was failing after brief use in warmer weather, due to heat buildup. I proved both my suspected problems. I replaced the brakelight modulator and have had no issues with that, since. The dash is another, unrelated problem, that I will probably address with the "LCD Clock Fix" method that has been described elsewhere.

sczinege

Postby sczinege » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:46 am

ct1500 wrote:The LCD is what controls the bulb check test and when LCD is out air suspension will also be out.

That was the year Honda started to put chinese built components in the bikes same as the alternator problems.

If I was to replace the LCD with a used one, which years inter-change,and wound I get one newer or older? Did the problem go away after 97 ? I have not heard anyone complain about newer ones.

sczinege

Postby sczinege » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:51 am

Bluewaterhooker0 wrote:I stand by my first observation of a humidity related problem. I have never noticed my display and problems correcting themselves without running the bike. However, I suspect that an explanation of what you experienced can be explained by the heat of the dash lights drying out the circuitry while you accidentally left the key on for an extended time. If you want to test my theory, you could turn on the key to witness the problem some time, and accelerate the drying process by pointing a hair dryer trough and around the dash area from the front of the bike. I did this test on mine, and was able to make the display and other problems go away pretty quickly. I tested mine at the same time I was checking a brakelight modulator that I suspected was failing after brief use in warmer weather, due to heat buildup. I proved both my suspected problems. I replaced the brakelight modulator and have had no issues with that, since. The dash is another, unrelated problem, that I will probably address with the "LCD Clock Fix" method that has been described elsewhere.

So the humidity would be affecting the internal circuits of the LCD, if so it would be useless to look for the solution on the outside connections ?

Bluewaterhooker0

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:28 am

That is my understanding. Like I said, I haven't made the circuit board repair. I have only observed the symptoms and read or the possible solution.

sczinege

Postby sczinege » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:53 pm

I saw a step by step on how to remove the LCD unit and partially remove the outer circuit board to clean & seal it on the Goldwing Facts site. That is something I '' might '' look at this winter. That may fix it. The guy that authored the step by step was successful, but I also read there was a guy that tried it & was not. Since none of the lights or any other safety related items are affected while it is out I may just leave it be, and just reset the clock. :|

daicochlin
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE

Postby daicochlin » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:42 pm

I get a similar problem on my 98 SE but only the appears to be the clock not running true time.

Bigbiker0
Motorcycle: 1997 gl 1500 se

Postby Bigbiker0 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:29 pm

It's append to me when my bike sleep outside and when I ride under heavy rain for long time. It's definitely humidity causing prob.

Drive safely Heaven do not exist.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”