96 GL1500 start in gear?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Ol' Man
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500A/MotorTrike Conversion

96 GL1500 start in gear?

Postby Ol' Man » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:06 pm

I thought I read somewhere (maybe in my dreams) that I should be able to start my 96 GL1500A in gear with the clutch engaged. Kind of embarrassing searching for neutral at a stop light when the bike dies. :oops:

Today is the oldest you've ever been,
yet the youngest you'll ever be,
so enjoy this day while it lasts.

celford30
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500A Aspencade

Re: 96 GL1500 start in gear?

Postby celford30 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:34 pm

Hey Ol' Man
I have a 91,1500 A and when I first tried to get it on the road I was pulling in the clutch and it wouldn't start. I too believe that I heard that being in neutral was not required and disengaging engine by pulling in the clutch would allow you to fire-up the engine. However, I have learned that on my bike, it is necessary to have the motorcycle in neutral. I was taught to always pull in the clutch along with brakes to insure control over bike when engaging the engine. I guess the engineers wanted to make sure we were in control, by forcing us to start the bike in neutral . Check your owners guide for the facts on starting your bike (There may be a big difference between 91 and 96).

c

OnPapasWing
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE

Postby OnPapasWing » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:42 pm

Is this related to the dreaded 'clutch lever bushing' being worn? I thought this was one of the symptoms. If so, it's a cheap and easy fix. Look in the how-to articles.

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby ct1500 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:24 pm

All 1500's were designed to be able to start in gear with the clutch lever pulled in. If it doesn't the most likely cause is after market levers and/or grips. The clutch bushing does not come into play in this situation, it is strictly a lever and switch issue.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

Ol' Man

Postby Ol' Man » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:55 pm

ct1500 wrote:All 1500's were designed to be able to start in gear with the clutch lever pulled in. If it doesn't the most likely cause is after market levers and/or grips. The clutch bushing does not come into play in this situation, it is strictly a lever and switch issue.

Near as I can tell, I'm the 2nd or 3rd owner of this bike/trike and unfamiliar with Honda, I can't tell you if it has aftermarket levers and/or grips. I thank you all for your input.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:48 pm

The GL1500 will start only if reverse is disengaged, and either:

- engine is in neutral, OR
- engine is in gear, AND clutch is pulled in AND kickstand is up

If the clutch switch (the one that clicks when the clutch is pulled ALL the way in), the kickstand switch, or one of the diode packs is faulty, the bike will not start in gear.

celford30
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500A Aspencade

Postby celford30 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:23 pm

Wow!!!!

I was the first to respond and I learned something, when I thought I knew what I was talking about. Better go find those faulty diodes packs. Thanks

sczinege
Motorcycle: 1997 Honda Goldwing GL1500 SE

Postby sczinege » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:04 pm

I have a 97 GL 1500 SE. Had the same problem. Used to start in gear, clutch in, then intermittently did & did not, then not at all. Very simple fix, 5 min. to change the part. All you needs a clutch start switch ( $11.50 at Cyclemax part # H35330- MBO-003 ). They just wear out. There is another one that kicks the cruise off and I think one for the brake lights on the other side. Different part #s but the first place to look if the problem arises. An easy fix. Cheers.
Keep the rubber side down - Steve

Popeye2347

Postby Popeye2347 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:50 am

I also had to change the neutral safety switch on the clutch lever. Had a devil of a time getting the rubber protector lined up so it would work properly. All is fine now. If I took a picture or two it may have helped me with the rubber boot. Did not seem like it was a big deal coming apart though.

Ol' Man

Postby Ol' Man » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:48 am

sczinege wrote:I have a 97 GL 1500 SE. Had the same problem. Used to start in gear, clutch in, then intermittently did & did not, then not at all. Very simple fix, 5 min. to change the part. All you needs a clutch start switch ( $11.50 at Cyclemax part # H35330- MBO-003 ). They just wear out. There is another one that kicks the cruise off and I think one for the brake lights on the other side. Different part #s but the first place to look if the problem arises. An easy fix. Cheers.

Thanks for your info. I ordered the switch you suggested. It has been shipped but haven't received it as yet.

tumunga
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500 - this is the one I will always need help with.

1980 GL1100I Interstate (gone)

Postby tumunga » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:51 pm

celford30 wrote:Wow!!!!

I was the first to respond and I learned something, when I thought I knew what I was talking about. Better go find those faulty diodes packs. Thanks

You'll be alright. I do that all the time!
Tumunga
1989 GL1500 Goldwing with all the optional goodies (I think)

sczinege

Postby sczinege » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:57 am

Ol' Man wrote:
sczinege wrote:I have a 97 GL 1500 SE. Had the same problem. Used to start in gear, clutch in, then intermittently did & did not, then not at all. Very simple fix, 5 min. to change the part. All you needs a clutch start switch ( $11.50 at Cyclemax part # H35330- MBO-003 ). They just wear out. There is another one that kicks the cruise off and I think one for the brake lights on the other side. Different part #s but the first place to look if the problem arises. An easy fix. Cheers.

Thanks for your info. I ordered the switch you suggested. It has been shipped but haven't received it as yet.

Your welcome. One screw holds it in, then pull off the two wire connections. Slide them back on the new one. Same position they came off, top & bottom, although I really don't think that matters. Carefully put it back in place, replace the screw, your done. Now pull the lever in slowly & listen. Just as you start to pull it in you should hear a click ( If you have factory cruise control ) & just before you reach the grip you will hear a click. This second click is the one that allows you to start in gear if the switch is working. When the switch is wore out it will still click but not allow you to start the bike. :P

Ol' Man

Postby Ol' Man » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:26 am

sczinege wrote:
Ol' Man wrote:

Your welcome. One screw holds it in, then pull off the two wire connections. Slide them back on the new one. Same position they came off, top & bottom, although I really don't think that matters. Carefully put it back in place, replace the screw, your done. Now pull the lever in slowly & listen. Just as you start to pull it in you should hear a click ( If you have factory cruise control ) & just before you reach the grip you will hear a click. This second click is the one that allows you to start in gear if the switch is working. When the switch is wore out it will still click but not allow you to start the bike. :P

Well, drat and double drat. Got the new switch installed and am no farther ahead. Reckon I'll have to devise me a plan B.

Popeye2347

Postby Popeye2347 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:46 am

See my previous post. I suggest you remove the switch, still hooked up, bike in gear, key on, hold the switch plunger down and while holding the front brake, tap the starter. CAUTION/WARNING!!!!! The bike WILL JUMP. Be PREPARED and DON'T GET HURT. Might be best if you put the bike on the center stand first.
If the starter engages, the problem is most likely a improperly mounted switch. In my case the rubber boot was preventing proper placement of the switch, and the clutch handle would not push on the new switch. It amazed me how something so simple caused me so much headache until I got it right.

Ol' Man

Postby Ol' Man » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:35 pm

Popeye2347 wrote:See my previous post. I suggest you remove the switch, still hooked up, bike in gear, key on, hold the switch plunger down and while holding the front brake, tap the starter. CAUTION/WARNING!!!!! The bike WILL JUMP. Be PREPARED and DON'T GET HURT. Might be best if you put the bike on the center stand first.
If the starter engages, the problem is most likely a improperly mounted switch. In my case the rubber boot was preventing proper placement of the switch, and the clutch handle would not push on the new switch. It amazed me how something so simple caused me so much headache until I got it right.

I tried that prior to remounting the switch. On mine,there was/is no rubber boot. The switch has a locator pin and the hole for the screw so it would seem difficult to not place it properly. I also checked continuity on old and new switches to see if they were opening/closing properly.

ct1500

Postby ct1500 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:17 pm

And the results of the continuity test were? And when installed? Do you hear the clicking as the lever nears its full pull? If the lever pivot hole is enlarged it will not work, with lever pulled in push lever inward towards master and switch to remove any play and recheck operation.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

Ol' Man

Postby Ol' Man » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:54 pm

ct1500 wrote:And the results of the continuity test were? And when installed? Do you hear the clicking as the lever nears its full pull? If the lever pivot hole is enlarged it will not work, with lever pulled in push lever inward towards master and switch to remove any play and recheck operation.

Switch was installed yesterday (07/04/14). and yes I heard the clicking. Today is a good day for maintenance.... it's raining. :) Results of the continuity test were: both switches, old and new, were OK.

sczinege

Postby sczinege » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:25 pm

Thanks for your info. I ordered the switch you suggested. It has been shipped but haven't received it as yet.[/quote]
Your welcome. One screw holds it in, then pull off the two wire connections. Slide them back on the new one. Same position they came off, top & bottom, although I really don't think that matters. Carefully put it back in place, replace the screw, your done. Now pull the lever in slowly & listen. Just as you start to pull it in you should hear a click ( If you have factory cruise control ) & just before you reach the grip you will hear a click. This second click is the one that allows you to start in gear if the switch is working. When the switch is wore out it will still click but not allow you to start the bike. :P[/quote]
Well, drat and double drat. Got the new switch installed and am no farther ahead. Reckon I'll have to devise me a plan B.[/quote]
I'm sorry that this easy fix was not the solution to your problem. These switches do wear out and now you have a spare and know how to check it for continuity. Hope you get it figured out without too much more problems. Although you can still ride you might find yourself in a bad situation where you have stalled & need a speedy restart. :|

Ol' Man

Postby Ol' Man » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:49 pm

I really appreciate all your suggestions. It continues to be a learning experience for me. So far we've figured out what it ain't. :) I have already been embarrassed once by holding up traffic while trying to find neutral. :oops:

sczinege

Postby sczinege » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:46 pm

Ol' Man wrote:I really appreciate all your suggestions. It continues to be a learning experience for me. So far we've figured out what it ain't. :) I have already been embarrassed once by holding up traffic while trying to find neutral. :oops:

I'm would be more worried about the guy behind me rear ending me! :shock:

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”