gl1500 clutch

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
chouston99
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 se

gl1500 clutch

Postby chouston99 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:29 pm

I have a leak from the clutch hose (I think) or clutch slave cylinder.I was wondering if the clutch slave cylinder was leaking would the leak show up down on the bottom end around the clutch cover? If the leak was in the clutch hose would it show up along the hose?
Thanks

[img]

[/img]

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: gl1500 clutch

Postby ct1500 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:39 pm

A clutch hose leaking is very rare the overwhelming majority of leaks are from the slave piston.

The clutch cover was designed with a notch in it to allow leaking fluid to do so externally underneath, good on paper when the bike was designed. But in reality the cavity can become plugged with debris and will then leak internally into the engine on some machines.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:48 pm

ct1500 wrote:A clutch hose leaking is very rare the overwhelming majority of leaks are from the slave piston.

The clutch cover was designed with a notch in it to allow leaking fluid to do so externally underneath, good on paper when the bike was designed. But in reality the cavity can become plugged with debris and will then leak internally into the engine on some machines.

And it should be noted that clutch fluid leaking into the engine will kill the shaft bearing lubrication and will eventually destroy the engine. We have a member here who had to replace an engine due to a leaking clutch slave cylinder.

Your clutch fluid should NEVER change. If it's starting to go down, and you don't see a leak anywhere, you need to take care of it NOW before riding any more.

sczinege
Motorcycle: 1997 Honda Goldwing GL1500 SE

Postby sczinege » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:01 pm

chouston99 wrote:I have a leak from the clutch hose (I think) or clutch slave cylinder.I was wondering if the clutch slave cylinder was leaking would the leak show up down on the bottom end around the clutch cover? If the leak was in the clutch hose would it show up along the hose?
Thanks

My fluid went down also on my 97. Thought it was it probably because it was never changed. I've only owned it 2 yrs. at that point. Did a fluid flush on the clutch & brake system. I noticed the fluid going down again. Started nosing around & saw a damp spot & a few drips from underneath the slave cylinder.Removed the slave ,it was leaking and full of sludge even though I had done a flush 5,000 miles previous. Cleaned it out , polished the bore very lightly,& put a new piston, spring & seals in it. Also a good idea to change the engine oil seal which is behind the slave. It was a pain to remove but after I got it out I found a bearing on the lifter plate on the inside of the motor bolted to the clutch that was shot. Probably the slave drain hole was plugged, the seal was gone on the slave & the brake fluid ate the motor oil seal went inside the motor along with some crud and contaminated the bearing. Had to take the back cover of the motor off remove the 4 bolts holding the lifter plate on and replace the bearing. After you get the slave off spin the push rod that goes thru the seal into the motor, if it is not 100% smooth or if it has any play up down, replace it. It will start to chatter when the clutch is pulled in. Depending on the mileage should replace it anyway. If you do you will save hours trying to pull that oil seal out, since you are taking that cover off the seal can be changed very easily then.I did mine myself, Did the work from the shifter side of the bike reaching up underneath. there are 2 Heat shields to remove underneath on the shifter side only so you will have room under there. Used 1/4" drive ratchet etc. the bolts are not that big, and a 1/4" torque wrench to torque them properly.

Keep the rubber side down - Steve

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”