Best 1500 Trailer Hitch

Information, ideas, experiences and help with camping, pulling a trailer and roughing it on your Goldwing
  • Sponsored Links
cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Best 1500 Trailer Hitch

Postby cbx4evr » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:58 pm

What's the best trailer hitch out there for the GL1500?? I have a line on a trailer and think I may take the plunge.

I see that Cyclemax is showing a Show Chrome unit. Is that the only thing available?

"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

cbx4evr
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000

Re: Best 1500 Trailer Hitch

Postby cbx4evr » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:20 pm

What else will I need as far as wiring is concerned. IS there a plug and play adapter harness available?
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:42 pm

I can't say what type of hitch I have on my bike, as it was on there when I got it. What I can say is that I am thoroughly unimpressed with the Show Chrome/Big Bike Parts (they look to be the same) GL1500 hitch. It fastens to the bike using one set of rather small bolts intended to hold the saddlebags in place, and with another clamp that wraps around the subframe - that's it. Those bolts were never intended to handle the kind of force a trailer could exert, and their tightness is limited by the plastic of the saddlebags. A big enough bump could potentially crack the bottom of the saddlebags.

The hitch I have on my bike uses the same small saddlebag bolts, but in addition to this, it hooks onto the very sizable bolts that hold the rear crash bars into the bike's main frame. On top of this, it has a second set of support beams that connect to the upper subframe above the license plate, creating a triangle in the vertical plane. This makes it very solid, unlike the flat, unsupported Show Chrome hitch - meaning a bump in the road can't exert vertical force on the saddlebags.

I have looked around online for the manufacturer of my hitch, but have not found anything - so I can't help you out there very much. However, for trailer lighting, that's easy. I was going to build an isolation box (basically a box of relays) myself, but this one, from Cyclemax, is a quality unit that cost less than I could have made it myself out of parts:

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500_ ... /129/59647

It powers your trailer lights through a separate fuse (not from your bike's lighting), and keeps a short or wiring fault in the trailer from taking out the lights on your bike. It's more or less plug and play in that you just plug it into your bike's wiring, however you do still have to wire the trailer plug onto the end, as they have no idea what type of plug you will be using.

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Postby Dusty Boots » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:26 pm

Actually, the Show Chrome has 3 sets of bolts that affix it to the bike, the 3rd set affix it to the saddlebag guards with substantial bolts!

I have hauled my trailer for well over 10,000 miles over some very rough roads with no issues!

Besides the ISO Trailer wiring harness mentioned above, if your trailer has the combined turn/run/stop tail lights, then you'll also need a 5 wire to 4 wire convertor

Just a tip to ward off future problems ... replace the in-line plastic glass fuse holder that comes with the ISO harness with an in-line blade type fuse holder!! ;)

Dusty
Attachments

cbx4evr
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000

Postby cbx4evr » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:43 pm

This seems to be the only hitch available in Canada. ShowChrome unit. Looks to have three attachment points each side. Is this what you are running Dusty?

Thanks for the lead on the harness. Yet to find a Canadian supplier.

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Postby Dusty Boots » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:47 pm

That is the one I have, correct!

Dusty

Return to “Camping and Trailers”