GL1500SE running lights


Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
steve allen
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:51 am
Location: theodore, al
Motorcycle: 1987 1200 Aspencade
1994 GL1500 SE
1995 CB1000

GL1500SE running lights

Postby steve allen » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:08 am



I posted this under wrong post earlier. I just purchased a 1994 GL1500SE the other day. Got it home to do some TLC and replace windshield before putting on the road. And, found the running lights are working only when they want too. They were working when I picked up the bike, got home, and started bike up again, no running lights. Pulled cover to check battery, pushed battery back into place, running lights came on, turned key back on again to crank up and ride, no running lights again. Also, found out that low beam is not working as well. Need some help, just want to ride and be safe! I know this should be a good bike, once I get the bugs fixed, just getting frustrated allitle. I know I have somme wiring that I need to remove from system, like ring of fire, and looks like air pump for air horn in right saddle bag needs removing, (not working). Thanks, Steve



User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17050
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: GL1500SE running lights

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:44 am

steve allen wrote:I posted this under wrong post earlier. I just purchased a 1994 GL1500SE the other day. Got it home to do some TLC and replace windshield before putting on the road. And, found the running lights are working only when they want too. They were working when I picked up the bike, got home, and started bike up again, no running lights. Pulled cover to check battery, pushed battery back into place, running lights came on, turned key back on again to crank up and ride, no running lights again. Also, found out that low beam is not working as well. Need some help, just want to ride and be safe! I know this should be a good bike, once I get the bugs fixed, just getting frustrated allitle. I know I have somme wiring that I need to remove from system, like ring of fire, and looks like air pump for air horn in right saddle bag needs removing, (not working). Thanks, Steve


I'm assuming by running lights you mean the lights down at the bottom of the cowling? On your year bike, they are actually cornering lights, and are intended to come on only when the turn signal is on. They can be modified to stay on all the time, and it's possible a previous owner has made this modification. First check whether or not they come on with the turn signals.

steve allen
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:51 am
Location: theodore, al
Motorcycle: 1987 1200 Aspencade
1994 GL1500 SE
1995 CB1000

Re: GL1500SE running lights

Postby steve allen » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:52 pm

No, I am talking about tail-lights. I haven't even checked the cornering lights yet....they probably don't work either, in fact, they don't work with the blinkers. What I am talking about is, when I turn the key on, I have the clock, radio, high beam indicator, and neutral light. No other check lights, gas or temp working....and reverse doesn't work at this point. Yet, I can turn key on later on, and, like magic, everything works as should. It's like a loose connection some where! Thanks, Steve

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17050
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: GL1500SE running lights

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:20 pm

steve allen wrote:No, I am talking about tail-lights. I haven't even checked the cornering lights yet....they probably don't work either, in fact, they don't work with the blinkers. What I am talking about is, when I turn the key on, I have the clock, radio, high beam indicator, and neutral light. No other check lights, gas or temp working....and reverse doesn't work at this point. Yet, I can turn key on later on, and, like magic, everything works as should. It's like a loose connection some where! Thanks, Steve


Check relay number 3, it sounds like it might be sticking. Try swapping it with a different relay (they're all the same) and see if the problem goes away.

steve allen
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:51 am
Location: theodore, al
Motorcycle: 1987 1200 Aspencade
1994 GL1500 SE
1995 CB1000

Re: GL1500SE running lights

Postby steve allen » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:24 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
steve allen wrote:No, I am talking about tail-lights. I haven't even checked the cornering lights yet....they probably don't work either, in fact, they don't work with the blinkers. What I am talking about is, when I turn the key on, I have the clock, radio, high beam indicator, and neutral light. No other check lights, gas or temp working....and reverse doesn't work at this point. Yet, I can turn key on later on, and, like magic, everything works as should. It's like a loose connection some where! Thanks, Steve


Check relay number 3, it sounds like it might be sticking. Try swapping it with a different relay (they're all the same) and see if the problem goes away.


I'll check it out in the morning...I did go by Honda shop, they want to charge 2 hours labor (systems check) and once they locate problem, then, if I want it fixed, I must pay extra for fix. Said even if loose wire, 2 hrs system check, then a minimum 1 hr more to correct it. Could get expensive very quick. Definitely try the relay swap first. Thanks, Steve.

User avatar
ct1500
Posts: 813
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Glastonbury,CT
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500
Contact:

Re: GL1500SE running lights

Postby ct1500 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:16 pm

No two ways about it is when working on these things plastic removal is required. And that is no five minute job. :roll:

Which is why when removed everything that needs be done gets done one time only. :D
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

steve allen
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:51 am
Location: theodore, al
Motorcycle: 1987 1200 Aspencade
1994 GL1500 SE
1995 CB1000

Re: GL1500SE running lights

Postby steve allen » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:56 pm

steve allen wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:
steve allen wrote:No, I am talking about tail-lights. I haven't even checked the cornering lights yet....they probably don't work either, in fact, they don't work with the blinkers. What I am talking about is, when I turn the key on, I have the clock, radio, high beam indicator, and neutral light. No other check lights, gas or temp working....and reverse doesn't work at this point. Yet, I can turn key on later on, and, like magic, everything works as should. It's like a loose connection some where! Thanks, Steve


Check relay number 3, it sounds like it might be sticking. Try swapping it with a different relay (they're all the same) and see if the problem goes away.


I'll check it out in the morning...I did go by Honda shop, they want to charge 2 hours labor (systems check) and once they locate problem, then, if I want it fixed, I must pay extra for fix. Said even if loose wire, 2 hrs system check, then a minimum 1 hr more to correct it. Could get expensive very quick. Definitely try the relay swap first. Thanks, Steve.

Relay #3 was bad, replaced, now everything works as should. But, did check low beam relay while in box, relay is good, will check the bulbs and clean the switch tomorrow morning. Thanks, Steve

steve allen
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:51 am
Location: theodore, al
Motorcycle: 1987 1200 Aspencade
1994 GL1500 SE
1995 CB1000

Re: GL1500SE running lights

Postby steve allen » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:02 pm

I just want to thank all for the useful help and guidance. I don't know how much this relay is gonna cost, I know with help from this site, and a little patience, I was able to save $200 dollars or more! Again.....Thank you all so much. My Fathers Day Goldwing, (yes, got it on Fathers Day) hopefully will serve me for a long time.

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17050
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: GL1500SE running lights

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:50 pm

steve allen wrote:I just want to thank all for the useful help and guidance. I don't know how much this relay is gonna cost, I know with help from this site, and a little patience, I was able to save $200 dollars or more! Again.....Thank you all so much. My Fathers Day Goldwing, (yes, got it on Fathers Day) hopefully will serve me for a long time.


The relays can be had for $25 from Cyclemax: http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500_ ... /129/36781


User avatar
minimac
Posts: 331
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:25 am
Location: Oswego, NY
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous-(2018 cannonball scoot)

Re: GL1500SE running lights

Postby minimac » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:00 am

Steve- before it's said and done, you'll save a ton of money with the help and knowledge that's available on this site. You don't even have to be particularly mechanically inclined to perform everything that will need to be done on the bike yourself with the guidance and articles that are available here!




Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests