GL1500 Lighting problem: no low beam

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
steve allen
Motorcycle: 1987 1200 Aspencade
1994 GL1500 SE
1995 CB1000

GL1500 Lighting problem: no low beam

Postby steve allen » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:47 am

I too have a lighting problem with a 1994 GL1500SE I just purchased. I have no low beam, and, running lights on, and most of the time they're off. I know I have alot to learn with this bike, other bike being 87 GL1200 Aspy. Got a good deal with this bike (Gl1500SE) and want something newer and alittle more power. But, I have quite a bit of cleaning and TLC before I can get this bike on the road. New windshield and fixing the problem on running lights and I should be good. Thanks for any help and guidance. Steve

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: GL1500 Lighting problem: no low beam

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:42 am

steve allen wrote:I too have a lighting problem with a 1994 GL1500SE I just purchased. I have no low beam, and, running lights on, and most of the time they're off. I know I have alot to learn with this bike, other bike being 87 GL1200 Aspy. Got a good deal with this bike (Gl1500SE) and want something newer and alittle more power. But, I have quite a bit of cleaning and TLC before I can get this bike on the road. New windshield and fixing the problem on running lights and I should be good. Thanks for any help and guidance. Steve

There can be a couple things going on - but the two most common are:

- Dirty high/low beam switch
- Burned out bulbs

Believe it or not, because most bikes spend most of their time running with low beams, they burn out first - and because the bulbs are usually the same age, they tend to both burn out at near to the same time.

The first thing I would do is check the bulbs to make sure the low beam filament isn't burned out in both of them! Have a look at How to replace your headlight bulbs for the procedure.

BullCBX
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
2004 FJR1300ABS
1982 CBX

Re: GL1500 Lighting problem: no low beam

Postby BullCBX » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:06 am

Steve,
A lot (if not all) of my issues were directly related to some questionable modifications made to the factory wiring harness by a previous owner. I can tell you the overall lighting circuit for these wings is complex and there are several things to check, but usually the KISS principle will solve the problem. As WingAdmin pointed out, start with bulbs you know are good. There are separate relays that control both the HI and LOW beam circuits. Make sure and check these, including cleaning the connections. Make sure the START switch is good and clean and is making the proper connections. If your issue is intermittent, the START switch would be one of the first things I would look at and make sure is clean. Make sure and clean the 4 conductor plug at the headlight assembly. If you cannot solve the issue with these kinds of steps, then you’ll need to step through the circuit and trouble shoot each leg. This is what I had to do and after finding several severed wires along the way, I elected to bypass the factory harness and run a completely new circuit for my headlights and things have been working fine (knock on wood). There is a wealth of knowledge on these forums, so spend some time searching and reading through old topics and don’t be afraid to ask questions if you cannot find an answer or you need some clarification.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”