105K and replacing rear tire - what else?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
nlawless
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500A Aspencade

105K and replacing rear tire - what else?

Postby nlawless » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:13 am

It's time to replace the rear tire on my 97 that now has 105K on her. Moving to Avon Venom as I've been very happy with the Avon front I put on.
The rear bearings and brake pads were replaced about 5000 and 8000 miles ago respectively but am wondering what else to do while I've got everything apart. I plan to remove saddlebags for ease of access. I also plan to use Dynabeads or Ride on Tire Balancer.

Things I've thought of include:
1. final drive oil seal (it isn't leaking but i'm the 2nd owner and don't know when/if it's been replaced)
2. those two O-rings noted in the "how to remove the rear wheel" FAQ(not sure what they do but they're cheap and I'm there)
3. Regrease splines on driveshaft...I might be making this up as I don't find any reference on maintenance interval in the Honda shop manual
4. Other suggestions?
5. unrelated to rear tire: suggestions on how I know when to replace vacuum tubes...I've read they degrade and develop pinhole leaks but not sure what that feels like or acts like.

Thanks all for suggestions/advice. I've enjoyed this forum quite alot and learned a TON from it.

Nate

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: 105K and replacing rear tire - what else?

Postby virgilmobile » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:08 am

Timing belts...
Final drive oil..
Fork oil...
All the brake/clutch fluid if its over 2 years old.
Suspect hardened or bad vacuum lines if the bike has idling,running or fuel consumption issues.
Any vacuum line with a sharp 90* bend or attached to the engine.
A hot metal connection to rubber hose will eventually harden the hose and it will leak some.
The hose will seem a bit loose.Nip a little off and reconnect if there's slack

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 105K and replacing rear tire - what else?

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:25 am

nlawless wrote:It's time to replace the rear tire on my 97 that now has 105K on her. Moving to Avon Venom as I've been very happy with the Avon front I put on.
The rear bearings and brake pads were replaced about 5000 and 8000 miles ago respectively but am wondering what else to do while I've got everything apart. I plan to remove saddlebags for ease of access. I also plan to use Dynabeads or Ride on Tire Balancer.

Things I've thought of include:
1. final drive oil seal (it isn't leaking but i'm the 2nd owner and don't know when/if it's been replaced)
2. those two O-rings noted in the "how to remove the rear wheel" FAQ(not sure what they do but they're cheap and I'm there)
3. Regrease splines on driveshaft...I might be making this up as I don't find any reference on maintenance interval in the Honda shop manual
4. Other suggestions?
5. unrelated to rear tire: suggestions on how I know when to replace vacuum tubes...I've read they degrade and develop pinhole leaks but not sure what that feels like or acts like.

Thanks all for suggestions/advice. I've enjoyed this forum quite alot and learned a TON from it.

Nate

The O-rings keep the Moly lubricant on the final drive splines from migrating out of that area. And yes, driveshaft splines need Moly too!

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”