trunk latch half release

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
celford30
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500A Aspencade

trunk latch half release

Postby celford30 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:21 pm

I'm in trouble, only left side of trunk will release. Yesterday I loosen the four screws that hold down the trunk's internal back plate (this is on other side of keyhole) it worked several times afterwards. However, the next day I went to open the trunk and there was only a partial release, I can hear the latch release each time I pull the lever under the trunk . The left side will repeatedly release but not the right. I've tried pressure from above, I've applied limited force pulling apart. I'm thinking I may have to perform orthoscopic surgery (Like drilling holes working with scope and a few tools), seems like my only options. Can you think of any others??? Help!!!!!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: trunk latch half release

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:26 am

Try pushing down on the trunk lid to unload the latches, then pull the trunk release, and while holding the trunk release open, let up on the pressure on the trunk. This might let the latch free itself enough that it frees the trunk lid.

Did you remove the latchplate, or just loosen the screws holding it in place? Did you tighten them up afterward?

If that doesn't do it, then some keyhole surgery is in order. :) No drilling or cutting is required however. You need to remove the trunk undercover, then from the area of the release levers, fish a coat hanger up, hooked at one end. if you insert it between the 3 release levers and up you will be able to (eventually) hook the long bar that runs across (about 3 or 4 inches up) and pull it down. Usually takes quite a few attempts to get it.

Here's a picture I found showing where you need to hook - where you see a green dot, you can hook this and pull it down to release:

GL1500 Trunk Latch Release Points
GL1500 Trunk Latch Release Points

Some of us have taken a wire tie, looped and fastened it around that horizontal bar, and left the tail of it hanging down in the undercover area. This way, should this problem ever happen again, all you need to do is to remove the undercover, grab the end of the wire tie and yank it downward to release the trunk.

celford30

Postby celford30 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:28 pm

Thanks, I'll get on it today and post later.

celford30

Postby celford30 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:55 am

Okay, I got the trunk open but I was lucky. When I had loosen the back plate earlier there was a separation between the plunger and the catch (the plunger is what makes the lid pop up). When the lid was closed the latch was caught on the plunger and catch I was lucky because this took place on only one side I was able to lift the lid and unscrew the back plate and with some force separate the latch, catch and plunger. After resetting everything my trunk opens and closes better than ever. And yes I did include the backup release which I was worried about until in proved to work only if trunk is unlocked.

Thank guys

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”