Multi-Meter Question


Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
User avatar
bohdan
Posts: 189
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:39 am
Location: Venice, Florida
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1977 GL1000
1977 GL1000
1993 GL1500
2013 GL1800
2013 GL 1800 trike
2009 Yamaha

Multi-Meter Question

Postby bohdan » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:49 am



Okay, okay, I should know how to use one, but with regards to continuity I am somewhat lost. I was checking the (allegedly) the continuity of my cruise control switches on the handlebar. According to Mr. Service Manual, it says to check the continuity of the C138 connector above the fan on the right side. It has six wires I guess some of them are for others, but if I put the leads on the two colors of the wires that Mr. Service Manual says, and then press the switch it should come on, right? I got that Innova auto ranging which beeps if there is continuity. No continuity may be okay, but if the lock switch light comes on, there should be definitely be continuity in that one. No continuity on anything but the wire that has nothing to do with the crusie control. Am I thinking this right? Also, I guess the battery has to be disconnected? Mighty obliged.



User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17046
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Multi-Meter Question

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:22 pm

For multimeters: Electricity 101 Part 3: Using Multimeters

Yes, when a switch is depressed, you should see continuity on the wires connected to that switch.

Are you sure you're testing the correct connector - i.e. the female side vs the male side (or vice versa)?

User avatar
bohdan
Posts: 189
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:39 am
Location: Venice, Florida
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1977 GL1000
1977 GL1000
1993 GL1500
2013 GL1800
2013 GL 1800 trike
2009 Yamaha

Re: Multi-Meter Question

Postby bohdan » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:08 pm

Thanks Wingadmin. Yes I was testing the female side that I pulled out of the male side that is on the bike. That is a good question. I tested the plug which were females. Should I have gone to the other side and checked the males? The males was the stationary plug. I think if the manual refers to connector, it is what is pulled out?

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17046
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Multi-Meter Question

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:24 pm

bohdan wrote:Thanks Wingadmin. Yes I was testing the female side that I pulled out of the male side that is on the bike. That is a good question. I tested the plug which were females. Should I have gone to the other side and checked the males? The males was the stationary plug. I think if the manual refers to connector, it is what is pulled out?


The connector could be referring to either end. Which end you test depends on what it shows on the circuit diagram:

Connector 138
Connector 138


Notice the highlighted areas showing where this switch connects to connector 138. The switch side of C138 has arrows pointing away from it, the harness side of C138 has arrows pointing to it. This indicates that the connector that is connected to the switch is the male connector, and the harness side is the female connector. In Honda parlance, the male connector is the one that fits inside the male connector, NOT the pins (female connector has male pins):

Female on the left, male on the right
Female on the left, male on the right


So in this case, you should be testing the male connector, the one that looks like the one on the right in the picture above.

User avatar
bohdan
Posts: 189
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:39 am
Location: Venice, Florida
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1977 GL1000
1977 GL1000
1993 GL1500
2013 GL1800
2013 GL 1800 trike
2009 Yamaha

Re: Multi-Meter Question

Postby bohdan » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:17 pm

Thanks Wingadmin. Your explanation make it so much clearer on how to read schematics. There are a few C138 connectors on this schematic. THis one is the only one that had continuity. Now I just have to figure out why I didn't have the continuity in the switch lock on the handlebar. If the "Cruise On" lights comes on I should have continuity shouldn't I? Mighty obliged.

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17046
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Multi-Meter Question

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:32 am

bohdan wrote:Thanks Wingadmin. Your explanation make it so much clearer on how to read schematics. There are a few C138 connectors on this schematic. THis one is the only one that had continuity. Now I just have to figure out why I didn't have the continuity in the switch lock on the handlebar. If the "Cruise On" lights comes on I should have continuity shouldn't I? Mighty obliged.


If that light is coming on, then the switch is definitely working - so if you're not seeing continuity there, you might be testing the wrong contacts in the connector.

User avatar
bohdan
Posts: 189
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:39 am
Location: Venice, Florida
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1977 GL1000
1977 GL1000
1993 GL1500
2013 GL1800
2013 GL 1800 trike
2009 Yamaha

Re: Multi-Meter Question

Postby bohdan » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:40 pm

thanks WingAdmin. Will try again. If the light comes on I shall see continuity on the connector 138 ( the male side).

User avatar
bohdan
Posts: 189
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:39 am
Location: Venice, Florida
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1977 GL1000
1977 GL1000
1993 GL1500
2013 GL1800
2013 GL 1800 trike
2009 Yamaha

Re: Multi-Meter Question

Postby bohdan » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:41 am

Greetings Wingadmin. If I understand this right, if I put one probe on the blk/yellow wire and the other probe on the wht wire and if I am ambidextrous, I should see continuity once I switch the button on , on the "cruise on" button. Same token the blk/yellow and wht/yellow should come on if I press the cruise set button and I guess continuity would be lost once I release the set button. Am I thinking this right? have a Great Day and thanks for your advice.
Attachments

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17046
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Multi-Meter Question

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:18 am

bohdan wrote:Greetings Wingadmin. If I understand this right, if I put one probe on the blk/yellow wire and the other probe on the wht wire and if I am ambidextrous, I should see continuity once I switch the button on , on the "cruise on" button. Same token the blk/yellow and wht/yellow should come on if I press the cruise set button and I guess continuity would be lost once I release the set button. Am I thinking this right? have a Great Day and thanks for your advice.


You've got that correct based on that diagram.

User avatar
bohdan
Posts: 189
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:39 am
Location: Venice, Florida
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1977 GL1000
1977 GL1000
1993 GL1500
2013 GL1800
2013 GL 1800 trike
2009 Yamaha

Re: Multi-Meter Question

Postby bohdan » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:22 am

Muchas Gracias. I guess I will try again........ thanks for you help...




Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: flyinrob and 3 guests