Gasy smell from my GL1500

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
nitefuzz
Motorcycle: 1998 GL 1500 SE, found the bike in October 2013 with only 20,000 miles.

Gasy smell from my GL1500

Postby nitefuzz » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:38 pm

After shutting the wing off after it is warmed up from a ride,............ there seems to be a strong gas smell coming from the front. If you restart the wing within a few minutes it starts fine, if you let it sit for 30 minutes it starts hard, kind of acting like it is flooding its self. I have a petcock rebuild kit coming to see if that's the problem. Any other ideas from anyone.

also some times it puffs a little blue smoke when first starting cold.

Nitefuzz

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Gasy smell from my GL1500

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:33 am

The petcock rebuild kit is usually the first thing to try when faced with this - it's a common problem. It can also happen if you fill the bike up with gas when it's hot, then put it away - the hot gas can expand in the tank, and with nowhere to go, it goes out the vent hose on the cap. On CA spec bikes, that goes into a charcoal canister, on non CA bikes it just drips down out the bottom of the bike.

nitefuzz
Motorcycle: 1998 GL 1500 SE, found the bike in October 2013 with only 20,000 miles.

Postby nitefuzz » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:12 am

Thanks WingAdmin, I am going to rebuild the Petcock but the info about parking the wing after filling it up being hot, never thought about that. I almost always top it off before I park it so its ready to go the next time. Won't be doing that anymore. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again, this is an awesome site.

Nitefuzz

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:45 am

According to my school physics, which I admit may have been surpassed by now ;) , cold liquids are denser than warm liquids. This is why motorcycle racers always filled their rides with chilled fuel, and why you should always try to fill up in the mornings when the temperature is lower. This way you also achieve more fuel for your buck, as you get more volume for the same price. It may only be a small amount, but it does fuel up in the cool, and may also alleviate your problem.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:30 am

The gas tank sits above the engine - the smell MAY (?) be from heated fuel expanding and fumes being forced out through the vent tube, however the original poster also makes mention of "if you let it sit for 30 minutes it starts hard, kind of acting like it is flooding its self" which points more towards the answer posted by WingAdmin
WingAdmin wrote:The petcock rebuild kit is usually the first thing to try when faced with this - it's a common problem. It can also happen if you fill the bike up with gas when it's hot, then put it away - the hot gas can expand in the tank, and with nowhere to go, it goes out the vent hose on the cap. On CA spec bikes, that goes into a charcoal canister, on non CA bikes it just drips down out the bottom of the bike.

Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

nitefuzz

Postby nitefuzz » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:59 am

well I have rebuilt the petcock,................ NO Change.............. not sure what else to do now but take it the dealer and have the carbs gone thru. Does anyone have any other ideas to what I could try.

I have not been filling it up anymore when I get back from a ride, been filling it when I leave for a ride.

It still acts like it is flooding itself after I park it for 30 minutes after shutting it off when it is completely warmed up, again it starts fine if you restart hot and only off for a few minutes.

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby ct1500 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:13 am

nitefuzz wrote:After shutting the wing off after it is warmed up from a ride,............ there seems to be a strong gas smell coming from the front. If you restart the wing within a few minutes it starts fine, if you let it sit for 30 minutes it starts hard

What exactly is starts hard, does it crank over normally? What is the maintenance history? Float bowl gaskets are a common leak area for fuel.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

nitefuzz

Postby nitefuzz » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:44 pm

acts like it is trying to flood itself after it sits from being completely warmed up. If I start within a few minutes (like after stopping at a gas station for fuel) it starts normal, fires right up. If I start it after stopping to eat and the wing has set for a while then it acts like it is flooded. It turns over fine but it takes a some cranking to get it to fire, I usually have to give it a little throttle before it takes off the4n it smells gassy or rich. "98" GL1500 SE

It sat in storage for several years before I purchased it from the PO, I have changed oil, brake and clutch fluids, changed out the coolant, rebuilt the petcock, new Fuel filter, new tires, replaced air filter (which there was a huge mouse nest in, put galvanized mesh screen over air inlet, replaced spark plugs also ............. the only thing I haven't done is carburetor work on it (I am not a carb man and would never mess with that because I would only screw it up). Any ideas, do I just need to take it to a Honda shop and let them go thru it and do a carb job on it ............. I hate to spend the money the shop charges just to pull into their parking lot.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:17 pm

Next time you park hot, loosen the gas cap off, and leave it like that. Then come back in a few minutes and see if the problem still exists.

It could also be fuel percolation, where heat from the engine is boiling off overfilled carburetor float bowls - overfilled because of an out-of-adjustment float. If the float bowl is overfilled, and the gas is boiling from engine heat, the only place for it to go is up the vent tube, which then drains out one of the three black hoses that hang down on the bottom of right side of the bike. Next time you smell gas, see if you have any gas dripping out of one of those three hoses.

nitefuzz

Postby nitefuzz » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:25 pm

I will try that after the next ride and post what the results are,.............. thanks for the ideas WingAdmin.

Nitefuzz

ct1500

Postby ct1500 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:14 pm

So we can assume it has 16 yr old spark plugs. As the bikes are set up to run too lean, if it were to get a little rich on restart it would probably help more than hurt. A battery load test would be in order as it could be cooking reducing its power on a hot start more so if a wet type and was low on electrolyte. The gas smell could very well be totally unrelated (likely) to a start issue.
This is what I do

nitefuzz

Postby nitefuzz » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:07 am

No, I replaced the spark plugs, they are new. Also a new battery last summer from the PO, I checked the battery and it is new. I use a Battery Tender Jr. on it most of the time.

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:48 am

A 1998 with only 20,000 miles ....blue smoke puff on cold start occasionally... in storage for a while ... no seemingly obvious electrical issues ...maintenence up to date , ait filters etc...gas smell and no evident leaks ...

What type of fuel economy numbers are you seeing ? Average MPG ?

To me much of points to the carbs being dirty from sitting a lot ...

Have you run any aggressive cleaners through the fuel system ? TECHRON or SEAFOAM in a heavy dose ? If you are reluctant to get into the carbs , and I don't blame you, then we need to try some of these Miracles in a can ...MARVEL MYSTERY OIL , or ...?

Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

nitefuzz

Postby nitefuzz » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:57 pm

I am getting around 33 mpg, give or take a couple. I have ran Seafoam through it several times, and will run some more through it. I am leaning towards thinking that the carbs need to be gone through at this point. Cleaned, sync'd and maybe the float checked, will have to take it to a shop for that work. While have in the shop I'll have them check vacuum lines to see if any are cracked, weather checked and leaking, don't know what else to do at this point.

ct1500

Postby ct1500 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:59 pm

33 Is not all that good so you most likely have other issues going on. There has been no evidence presented whatsoever that a fuel smell has to be flooding carbs, when diagnosing problems you do not go in with that kind of mindset unless one is a parts replacer only. New as in battery means nothing with regards to its health and needs to be load tested for a definitive test. Also, leaving a battery on a tender can mask certain weaknesses such as a loss of voltage which also signals a bad battery assuming no excessive draws. What is the idle RPM set at?

Because of the age and/or inactivity of these machines I often run across multiple weaknesses/problems among the systems that when corrected bring them back to running like a top.

Next time when trying to start hot give it choke to see if it makes a difference.
This is what I do

gordonv
1999 GL1500CF
1982 GL1100A

Postby gordonv » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:09 pm

I have almost the same problem. Gas smell. But it's there all the time.

The cap seals well. It noticeably vents when I remove it, either warm or cold. Smells even after riding for 200 miles and stopping to fuel.

I figure I'll need to remove all the plastic, and be able to get a look into the carb area to see if there is any signs of leakage.

Things I've talked about with other GWRRA members, and learned about are;

vacuum lines
intake tubes
carbs/seals
air box

Mileage, I would need to do the math. I just drove 2200km. I fill with liters, and have a 88' US bike, so record miles.

best MPG, 55mph and got 12miles/L
worst, 75mph and got 7.6miles/L

Unless your petcock is leaking, I don't know why you would want to fix that? And it is easy to look over for leaks.

Bike only had 59K miles when I bought it last year, I put a bottle of seafoam through it. Also fill as much as I can with Chevron, so I have the Techron. But I've only done about 5K miles since I bought it last Feb, and ride it year round when the weather is nice.

So I will also follow this thread and see what is found.

ct1500

Postby ct1500 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:50 pm

gordonv wrote:Unless your petcock is leaking, I don't know why you would want to fix that? And it is easy to look over for leaks.

Everything is not as simple as some make it out to be, an external leak is just one failure.

Failure of the vacuum diaphragm allowing a vacuum leak.

Internal seal failure allowing fuel to be drawn into vacuum line.

Internal seal failure not shutting off fuel flow.

Internal seal broken from plunger rendering valve inop.

Vacuum diaphragm broken from plunger rendering valve inop.
This is what I do

nitefuzz

Postby nitefuzz » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:26 pm

well after a 70 mile ride today, the wing shut down on me four times. After getting home I decided I would go ahead and tear it down a check the petcock............. BINGO, the edge of the rubber diaphragm was folded, found the CULPRIT, was able to get it to lay flat (with my wife's help, holding down the rubber edge while I reassembled the housing around it), took the wing for another 40 miles and it ran fine.

apparently under high speeds it creates higher vacuum which was pulling the diaphragm past where it would loose its vacuum, shutting the fuel off................... like it was running out of gas.

Thanks for all the help and pointing me in the right direction.

Nitefuzz still need to have the carbs synced and cleaned though.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”