Noise from rear wheel

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
duanecook
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500A Aspencade

Noise from rear wheel

Postby duanecook » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:00 pm

I'm wondering if any of you wise guys out there can help me identify the source/correction of a noise I'm getting from my '96 Aspencade. I bought it in 2011 and it had 9,500miles on it. It now has 33,000 miles on it and this year I'm hearing what sounds like worn brake pads rubbing on the rotor. However, I checked the pads and this is not the source, nor does the noise change if I engage the brakes. The noise is loudest when I'm decelerating and in gear. It's almost imperceptible on acceleration. When I'm slowing down if I disengage the clutch the noise stops.
I've been scanning some of the posts on rear end noises and wonder if the splines on my drive need to be lubed. If I go to the trouble to do that job I may as well do the brakes while I'm in there. I shouldn't be able to get much more out of them anyway, right?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Noise from rear wheel

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:41 am

I doubt it's going to be the splines, as worn splines will give you more of a clunk (driveline lash) when switching back and forth between acceleration and deceleration.

Have you checked the final drive oil?

Are you sure it's coming from the rear wheel area? Does it occur no matter what gear you're in?

How about if you face the bike uphill, sitting still, in neutral, engine running. Then do the same thing, but with the bike facing downhill. Do you hear it then?

duanecook

Postby duanecook » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:24 pm

Hey WingAdmin, thanks for answering so fast.
Well, I got impatient last night and jacked up the Wing and started tearing it a part. (Trying to get this done for a trip to northern Minnesota next week for the long July 4th weekend. I'm in suburban Chicago.) When I finally got the rear wheel off I found the ring gears looked a lot like the ones in your pictures of a final drive service you did. Except that they weren't worn too much and there were no pieces of teeth missing. When I pulled the final drive to check the spline I found it looked quite good. Actually had some lube left on it.
I took a break, as my wife called me in for dinner, and just found your post. Right now I have the final drive back in and am ready to put the wheel back on. Like I mentioned previously, I'm going to do the brakes since I have it all apart. I found the rotor a little wavy. No real grooves, but if I was doing my car I'd have it turned just to smooth it out. I tried taking it to my local NAPA, but they had no way of bolting up to that wide of a pattern. I think I read in one of your posts that these Honda rotors are real hard and usually don't need to be resurfaced.
The only bad thing about doing both of these projects at the same time is if the noise goes away, I really won't be able to know definitively if it was the dry ring gears or the brakes, and I'm not real good with mechanical mysteries.
As for the rest of your questions:
Yes, the the final drive oil was up. Just changed it last year. And now that I have the final drive back in it has fresh oil now.
Yes, the noise is definitely coming from the rear and it happens regardless of the gear I'm in.
As far as the up/down hill sitting still and in neutral. I never noticed the noise at all sitting still whether in neutral or in gear with clutch pulled in regardless of nose pointed up or down. Only heard the noise when decelerating and in gear. Sometimes I think I could almost hear it on acceleration, but only faintly.
Thanks again for your help!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:13 pm

Motorcycle rotors are not designed to be turned, and they are so hard that they would likely be ruined by putting them on a NAPA lathe. There is one place online that will turn motorcycle rotors, and they have special equipment to do it.

If you have the bike on the center stand, run the engine and let it idle in fifth gear, does the wheel turn fast enough to generate the noise? If so, you might be able to get close enough to it to determine just where it's coming from.

duanecook

Postby duanecook » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:26 pm

Well, I got it back together yesterday and took it for a test ride. The drive sounds smooth now on both acceleration and deceleration. The only noise now is the sound of the new brake pads setting in. Pretty confident the noise was from the dry ring gears. Just have to do the front brakes now. They don't look too bad, but would like to do them all at the same time. Thanks again for your help and direction.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”