Reverse/starter blows fuses.

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Gary Neppell
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE

Reverse/starter blows fuses.

Postby Gary Neppell » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:06 pm

1995 GL 1500 SE have 83,000 miles on her, when I put the lever in reverse and hit the starter button nothing happens the fuse blows to revers/starter five amp fuse. Put in a new fuse and hit the starter button and all is fine, right now it only seems to blow a fuse when I pull up the reverse lever and hit the starter button, would anybody know what else I need to check other then pulling out the starter motor and replacing? Thanks in advance.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Reverse/starter blows fuses.

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:00 pm

If the starter works fine to start the bike when it's not in reverse, then your starter is fine and doesn't need to be replaced.

The reverse circuitry is quite complex. The fact that it is happening only when it is in reverse AND when the starter button is pressed, and that it is only blowing that 5 amp fuse narrows it down. Looking at the schematic, I can see only two components whose failure would cause this fuse to blow: The reverse control unit, and the starter relay regulator.

The reverse control unit is located under the trunk (the trunk has to be removed, or at least loosened and lifted to access it):

Reverse Control Unit
Reverse Control Unit

The starter relay regulator is behind the left saddlebag (the saddlebag has to be removed to access it):

Starter Relay Regulator
Starter Relay Regulator

I would start by disconnecting each of these, one at a time, putting the bike in reverse, then hitting the starter, to see if the fuse still blows. If it does, then we know the problem is likely a chafed/shorted wire somewhere. If it doesn't, then we know the problem is in one of those components itself, and the component will need to be replaced.

Gary Neppell

Postby Gary Neppell » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:18 pm

Thank You for a detailed description, I will do this when I get home

Gary Neppell

Postby Gary Neppell » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:08 pm

Moved the truck up a bit an unplugged the starter relay an Blew out the dust an all seems to be fine now, hit the rev. Several times an the fuse held
Thanks for the info.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”