windshield sliding adjuster bolts

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Wynnjammer
Motorcycle: 1993 GoldWing Aspencade

windshield sliding adjuster bolts

Postby Wynnjammer » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:57 pm

I have a '93 Aspencade and want to replace the windshield. I have removed the cowling at the base of the shield and now am trying to remove the adjuster bolts. One is frozen even after solvents . When I put a lot of pressure on it the back begins turning. Not good. Is there any way to get inside that area or "behind" the bolt so that I may put some grips on it to break it loose? Any Ideas/suggestions?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: windshield sliding adjuster bolts

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:24 pm

Wynnjammer wrote:I have a '93 Aspencade and want to replace the windshield. I have removed the cowling at the base of the shield and now am trying to remove the adjuster bolts. One is frozen even after solvents . When I put a lot of pressure on it the back begins turning. Not good. Is there any way to get inside that area or "behind" the bolt so that I may put some grips on it to break it loose? Any Ideas/suggestions?

You *might* be able to access that by reaching in through where one of the turn signals goes - I can't say for sure without looking.

I would put some decent penetrating oil - PB Blaster is my go-to penetrating oil - on it, and let it sit overnight, then put some more on. If that doesn't do it, I will try an impact screwdriver. It's a screwdriver that you hit with a hammer, and twists the bit sharply as it is pressed into the screw head. Often that will break it loose.

Wynnjammer
Motorcycle: 1993 GoldWing Aspencade

Postby Wynnjammer » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:30 am

thanks for the suggestion. Had no luck with the impact driver. I suppose I can figure out a way to grind/cut the bad bolt assembly out. I have ordered a replacement set of bolt assy's. Anyone know how to install the nut to the slide bolt? Seems that I will still need to get "behind" the structure to thread the nut to the bolt. Also, haven't ordered the replacement shield as of yet. I am 5'7" and prefer to look through the shield. Looking at cee bailey and national v stream and others. Some claim to be "coated" with a hard surface product. Any thoughts/ recommendations? Appreciate your input.

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:31 pm

Imwill tell you, from my experiance, my bike has a Tulsa +4 that I look through and I HATE IT ! I am tall at 6'2" tall with a lot of my height in my torso . Even as tall as I am, my shield is taller than me.
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

bcarnold
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500A Aspencade

Postby bcarnold » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:36 am

I have a 92 Aspencade that had the same problem. I applied a liberal amount of WD40 to the threads and used a Easyout kit. The one that I have is from Craftsman and consists of a left handed drill bit and a left handed threaded piece. I used it with a variable speed drill and it removed them in short order. BTW; when you install the new screws use a liberal amount of never-seize to the threads.
Good Luck

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:54 am

I can attest to the quality of the Tulsa shield. Mine has been on the bike for 6 years and it is like new. No scratches at all. It is thicker than some other shields and has no distortion. The only drawback to the Tulsa tall is the magnifying glass effect or it may be reflection ?? because of the back slant. When parked in the sun there is so much heat that the dash can distort. I have a cover for mine when I park in the sun.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:53 am

dingdong wrote:I can attest to the quality of the Tulsa shield. Mine has been on the bike for 6 years and it is like new. No scratches at all. It is thicker than some other shields and has no distortion. The only drawback to the Tulsa tall is the magnifying glass effect or it may be reflection ?? because of the back slant. When parked in the sun there is so much heat that the dash can distort. I have a cover for mine when I park in the sun.

Yup, the bezel around my ignition key is slightly melted/deformed because of this (it was like this when I got the bike). I make sure when I park my bike to always face it into the sun. Having the sun behind it, the Tulsa acts like a giant parabolic mirror, focusing the sun down on the dash and ignition bridge area. I've seen many Tulsa-equipped Goldwings with melted dashboards.

I also carry an old T-shirt that I can pull over the windshield in case I am unsure about my parking direction.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”