hazard light button

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
grizzlybear1943
Motorcycle: 1993 honda goldwing gl1500

hazard light button

Postby grizzlybear1943 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:53 pm

well guys its me again.
what I have done in last couple days is spraying the hell out of the hazard button on the handlebars. I then removed two long bolts and opened the housing, again I sprayed contact cleaner. the hazard lights will go on then off. Does anyone out there suggest I replace the hazard switch or just leave alone.
Thanks for your input
Ben

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Re: hazard light button

Postby Mh434 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:50 am

Not sure if the single switch is even available - replacing the entire cluster might be required to get a new hazard switch. That having been said, it occurs to me that the hazard switch is so seldom used (in my case, only accidentally - and mine stuck on during a long group ride a couple of weeks ago!) that it's very unlikely that the switch would ever wear out. A buildup of crud - which you are in the process of reversing - is likely the only failure you're ever likely to have.

IMHO, just clean it well, maybe use a tiny bit of dry, non-greasy lube (say, silicone spray?), and button it up for another 10 years or so. That's my plan, anyway...

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:00 am

The flimsy design of the locking mechanism for the hazard switch is probably your problem. Fails easily. Mine did the same thing. I just don't use it. Too expensive for me to justify replacement.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:30 am

dingdong wrote:The flimsy design of the locking mechanism for the hazard switch is probably your problem. Fails easily. Mine did the same thing. I just don't use it. Too expensive for me to justify replacement.

That was my plan as mine did not work either, but every once in a while I would push the button , just to see if it would work, and the dang thing started working after awhile ! So I am going to clean the button with some contact cleaner this week now that I know it is working, to keep it working, and repeat that once a year as part of my annual maintenance .
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

svorn
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500SE

Postby svorn » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:30 pm

My hazard switch hasn't worked since I bought the bike. Now my turn signal switch has failed too. I'm stuck with replacing the whole unit. You can get them new OEM on eBay for $134, but I've been watching for that NOS unit you can get on there for $60-80 on occasion.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”