Five amp headlight fuse


Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Gary Neppell
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:07 pm
Location: Mastic Beach, New York
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE

Five amp headlight fuse

Postby Gary Neppell » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:45 am



Thanks again for your help with the rev. Relay...

Have a problem with fuze in the relay box behind the left saddlebag, there's eight relays in that box, I can turn the headlights on and off a dozen times but then sometimes the five amp head relay fuse blows in that box, does that mean one of the headlight relays are bad do I need to change those, because it seems like that fuse is hidden in that box?
GL1500 SE, 1995

Read more: ucp.php?i=pm&mode=view&f=-2&p=14466#ixzz36QOKKEkN


Last edited by Gary Neppell on Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Ed Z
Posts: 132
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:19 am
Location: Baltimore, Md
Motorcycle: 2006 gl1800
1987 gl1200 Aspen
1983 gl650 Intersta

Re: Five amp headlight fuse

Postby Ed Z » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:09 pm

On my gl1200 I had an issue where one of the fuse holders was shorting out to the frame... I believe the plastic box that the relays and fuse is in can be opened up to see the wiring side of them... Look for any area that may be intermittently touching to ground or to a ground wire... If nothing is found, then you may have to trace the wire run from the fuse all the way to the light looking for chafed insulation...

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17050
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Five amp headlight fuse

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:34 pm

I would check the relays (could be a bad connection or failing/shorted coil) - measure the resistance of the headlight relay coils compared to the other realays. Or it could be the start button - the 5 amp fuse goes through the start button (so it turns the headlights off while the starter runs). If there is dirt or something else shorting power to the starter from the 5 amp headlight relay circuit, that could blow the fuse.

Gary Neppell
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:07 pm
Location: Mastic Beach, New York
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE

Re: Five amp headlight fuse

Postby Gary Neppell » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:52 pm

WingAdmin wrote:I would check the relays (could be a bad connection or failing/shorted coil) - measure the resistance of the headlight relay coils compared to the other realays. Or it could be the start button - the 5 amp fuse goes through the start button (so it turns the headlights off while the starter runs). If there is dirt or something else shorting power to the starter from the 5 amp headlight relay circuit, that could blow the fuse.


Thank you, I just doused the starter button really good with contact cleaner up through the weep hole and around the button under pressure, my buddy has two brand-new relays sitting on the shelf, I will just replace those relays for the time being, because I am leaving on a trip at 5 AM tomorrow morning, thank you for your quick reply
Gary...

Gary Neppell
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:07 pm
Location: Mastic Beach, New York
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE

Re: Five amp headlight fuse

Postby Gary Neppell » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:32 pm

Gary Neppell wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:I would check the relays (could be a bad connection or failing/shorted coil) - measure the resistance of the headlight relay coils compared to the other realays. Or it could be the start button - the 5 amp fuse goes through the start button (so it turns the headlights off while the starter runs). If there is dirt or something else shorting power to the starter from the 5 amp headlight relay circuit, that could blow the fuse.


Thank you, I just doused the starter button really good with contact cleaner up through the weep hole and around the button under pressure, my buddy has two brand-new relays sitting on the shelf, I will just replace those relays for the time being, because I am leaving on a trip at 5 AM tomorrow morning, thank you for your quick reply
Gary...


He only had one 20 amp relay sitting on the shelf, the handlebar switch is always on the low beam, because I have HID lights, wanted to replace the both relays, one for the highbeam relay and one for the low beam relay, Being then that five amp fuse blows an the switch is on low beam that is where I will put their brand-new relay. Make sense?

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17050
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Five amp headlight fuse

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:55 pm

Makes sense, yes - does it never blow if it's on high beam?

Gary Neppell
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:07 pm
Location: Mastic Beach, New York
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE

Re: Five amp headlight fuse

Postby Gary Neppell » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:09 pm

WingAdmin wrote:Makes sense, yes - does it never blow if it's on high beam?


The way I have the headlight adjusted I really never use highbeams so I would not know, there have been times when I had to hit the starter switch more than once because it wouldn't do nothing and then that problem would go away for a while but I gave it a good Dose of contact cleaner. As far as resistance on the relay itself it matched the same resistance as the new one, leaving tomorrow morning for a trip up north so we shall see how it goes, I have the old Tulsa driving lights in case or else fails, I think when I get back I will be looking for some new driving like maybe LED or H ID something stupid Bright, to replace the Tulsa driving lights, thanks again for the information.




Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 2000 wing and 4 guests