Dim brake lights

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
DLMwinger
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Goldwing

Dim brake lights

Postby DLMwinger » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:34 am

Hello again,

Recently I noticed my brake lights on my 1988 wing are not as bright as they were. The bulbs are lighting up as they should, just not as bright. I have traced the wires and no breaks, or connection issues. All other lights are bright as normal, just the break lights. In the day time they are not very visible. Anyone have any thoughts.

curley
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Level 3

Re: Dim brake lights

Postby curley » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:01 am

Check the "connections" of the relays in the relay box....that is: the relay's terminals maybe corroded and the voltage is dropping due to resistance at the connection...I used some silverware cleaner, a small tooth brush , a spray bottle with water in it and compressed air to clean the terminals in the relay box...then I dipped the relays terminals in the cleaner and washed them in water and dried them...use some grease on them after everything is dry...it'll keep the corrosion away...getting to the relay box is NOT fun - you have to take off the saddle bag...hope this helps

DLMwinger

Postby DLMwinger » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:44 am

Thanks, I think. I love this bike, but everything requires taking body parts off to work on it,lol. Thank you for your help, I will give that a try.
Dave

wingpilot08
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800-HPNA - 24,000+ miles
1988 Bunkhouse camping trailer
Darkside #1720

Postby wingpilot08 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:53 am

curley wrote:getting to the relay box is NOT fun - you have to take off the saddle bag...hope this helps

You don't need to completely remove the saddlebag...just remove the bolts and move back the bag
08' GL1800-HPNA - Red 20,000+ miles
1988 Bunkhouse Trailer/Camper
Darkside #1720

DLMwinger

Postby DLMwinger » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:56 pm

So I tried the silver cleaner on the connectors. It did make a difference, thank you. Still would like them more noticeable. I was looking at the BACK OFF WIG WAG system for the brake lights. What are your opinions on this? Does it take much juice to run this system on a 1500? I have heard the system to wig wag the head light is extremely hard on the electrical system, even possibly requiring a more powerful alternator. Is the brake system like that as well? Any one running the back off system, please share.
Thanks,
Dave

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:02 pm

DLMwinger wrote:So I tried the silver cleaner on the connectors. It did make a difference, thank you. Still would like them more noticeable. I was looking at the BACK OFF WIG WAG system for the brake lights. What are your opinions on this? Does it take much juice to run this system on a 1500? I have heard the system to wig wag the head light is extremely hard on the electrical system, even possibly requiring a more powerful alternator. Is the brake system like that as well? Any one running the back off system, please share.
Thanks,
Dave

Wig wag on the headlight is illegal - I'm sure you mean a headlight modulator. In this case, it is actually easier on the electrical system because it draws less overall power. Same goes for the wig wag brake lights. Overall power being drawn when it is "wig-wagging" is much less than a standard OEM brake light.

curley
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Level 3

Postby curley » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:05 am

you could try:
a) washing out the lens area (gotta take the truck off ) or come up with a way to wash and dry the lens area ( rag on a stick and a hair drier?)
b) super bright LED bulbs ( gotta watch the clearance between the "bulb" and the lens)...some are too long/tall to fit:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/tail ... 5,114,3962:
c) I have a '03 Vstrom- small tail light - out here in SoCal there are too many drivers distracted with gadgets...on the Strom I use this:
http://www.soundoffrec.com/products/lights.aspx
I have the "plus" model...don't know how it would affect the "computer" on the GL1500...( on the GL1500 the lights cancel themselves after a period of time) my Vstrom has manual cancel on the turn signals...it "lights up" the back end of the Strom ...and the flashing wakes up the driver behind me...was thinking about adding it to the GL1500, but the bike is a pretty big target, mine is black so during the day they see it very well...at night I have added reflective tape to the trunk area:
http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Reflec ... B000NPNXP6

hope this helps

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”