T-connector in vent tube???

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
nitefuzz
Motorcycle: 1998 GL 1500 SE, found the bike in October 2013 with only 20,000 miles.

T-connector in vent tube???

Postby nitefuzz » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:55 pm

Ok, I have a another crazy question for anyone that might have while on a ride the other day, the wing just shut down like it ran out of gas, it did this twice within a 5 mile stretch. It cranked over very good but would not fire (act like it was out of gas) After getting it started by giving it full choke and some throttle, it started. I left the gas cap cracked open and made the 55 miles home without anymore problems. leaning towards thinking the gas tank had a vapor lock in it, so I removed the red vapor/air tube from the gas cap and cleaned it out, there was some gunk but not enough to plug it up real bad. Now for my question, while tracing the red vapor/air tube down through the bike (checking for any pinch points) I found that the last 6 inches of the red hose has a "T" adapter with a black rubber tube making up the last 6 inches. Is there a reason for this "T" connector, why is it there, is there suppose to be another hose plugged onto it???????? (this tube and connector have the Honda wire clamps on it that we all hate so much - so I am fairly sure this was put on by them and not some modification the PO made)

my only guess is if this was a California wing with all the emission control stuff on it at one time that has been taken off by the PO.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Re: T-connector in vent tube???

Postby MikeB » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:04 pm

My '98 has the same little "T" that yours does. I had a '99 that had the "T" as well. Nothing connects to it. Its just there.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

nitefuzz
Motorcycle: 1998 GL 1500 SE, found the bike in October 2013 with only 20,000 miles.

Postby nitefuzz » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:06 am

with the "T" in this location it reduces the size of the vent hose causing it to plug up easier................... if it plugs up then the tank vapor locks and shuts down the fuel flow, making you feel like you just ran out of gas. Can I just do away with the "T" connector and the 6 inch section of black hose attached the end of the red hose.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:06 am

I guess you can cut it off if you wish but I don't know that it is an issue. I put over 160,000 miles on my '99 before I sold it and never had an issue with fuel cap vent plugging. I have put almost 145,000 miles on my '98 and have not had an issue with fuel cap vent plugging. Since it is just a vapor vent line and not a drain line, I don't know how it can get plugged but maybe you have something else going on.that is causing your issues.

I do know that my '99 had shut down on a couple of rides like the gas had been shut off but it was not due to a gas cap vent issue. It was caused by a failed vacuum operated auto shut off valve, also called a petcock. Replacement of that valve was the remedy.
Item number 4 is the auto fuel shut off valve
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

nitefuzz

Postby nitefuzz » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:55 pm

MikeB wrote:I do know that my '99 had shut down on a couple of rides like the gas had been shut off but it was not due to a gas cap vent issue. It was caused by a failed vacuum operated auto shut off valve, also called a petcock. Replacement of that valve was the remedy.
AFV.jpg
Item number 4 is the auto fuel shut off valve

That is the other thing I am thinking about now too,............... I just rebuilt the petcock about 50 miles before this ride that the wing shut down on me. guess if it continues I will need to pull it back off and go thru it again. Still think the carbs need to be gone thru from a dealer too.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:36 am

The gas cap vent problem is not due to the hose being plugged, it's due to the check valve inside the cap itself getting plugged up.

Remove the red hose from the gas cap, and soak the gas cap (submerged) in Seafoam overnight, see if that makes any difference. That should dissolve any gummed up fuel deposits inside the cap causing the check valve to become plugged.

nitefuzz

Postby nitefuzz » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:20 pm

well after a 70 mile ride today, the wing shut down on me four times. After getting home I decided I would go ahead and tear it down a check the petcock............. BINGO, the edge of the rubber diaphragm was folded, found the CULPRIT, was able to get it to lay flat (with my wife's help, holding down the rubber edge while I reassembled the housing around it), took the wing for another 40 miles and it ran fine.

apparently under high speeds it creates higher vacuum which was pulling the diaphragm past where it would loose its vacuum, shutting the fuel off................... like it was running out of gas.

Thanks for all the help and pointing me in the right direction.

Nitefuzz

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”