Tape player question

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
sdadean
Motorcycle: 1992 1500 Aspencade

Tape player question

Postby sdadean » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:06 am

Looking for anyone out there that has knowledge about electronics. 1998 GL1500: not sure which model Panasonic it has but I tried to use the tape player for the first time yesterday. Bought a tape/to 1/4" jack to plug into my mp3 player. When you put the tape in the drive motor turns for about 1 revolution then stops and that's it.

So my question is there some common failure with the tape players on these units and can I fix it? Fairly good with electronics taken them apart replacing diodes etc.

Or is there another way of hooking-up a mp3 other than through the tape deck?
sdadean is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message

sdadean
View Public Profile
Send a private message to sdadean
Find More Posts by sdadean
Add sdadean to Your Contacts

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Re: Tape player question

Postby trike lady » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:04 am

You can contact Sierra Electronics and they can upgrade your system. Wing owners have sent their radios there and have gotten good results.
http://www.sierra-mc.com/default.asp
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

svorn
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500SE

Postby svorn » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:21 pm

I don't think I tried a tape converter, but I hardwired my system as described in other posts. A gutted blank tape wouldn't work because the deck didn't sense the tape moving. May be the problem with your converter, as it doesn't spin the tape innards.

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:26 am

I don't recall if the OEM cassette deck has auto-reverse or not, but if it does, that could be the problem. On a Ford I had recently, where I wanted to use my MP3 player with the factory stereo, the cassette deck had a very sensitive auto-reverse sensor (apparently, they detect resistance of the reels to turning). I had to try 3 different brands of cassette adapters to find one that worked in it (and then, it was only some of the time). I had to order a special Philips unit -NONE of the locally-sourced (I.e., Radio Shack, Walmart, etc.) worked. All would turn for a second or two, then the player would stop.

As far as other options are concerned, you might want to look at iSimple stuff (Amazon carries several different iSimple kits). Easy install, requires NO disassembly of (or even access to) the factory stereo unit, and still allows the normal use of ALL of the OEM functions, including CB & full stereo through headsets, etc.

I have nothing to do withe the company, but did buy one of their kits for my Ford Escape. The results were outstanding and, at the first sign of trouble from my 1997 GL1500SE's cassette deck, an iSimple kit is going in.

scmoon
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade

Postby scmoon » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:39 pm

Hi..if you have installed an accessory socket (cig lighter type) on your fairing...mine is on my right pocket cover....try using an FM transmitter.
Providing your OEM radio is working fine...tune your FM transmitter (with your MP3's attached on either an SD card or a thumb drive) to a empty wavelength...match the same on your OEM radio......clear crisp sound of your MP3 collection. I have found these FM transmitters at electronic warehouses, Walmart etc.

I found the old cassette tape adapters were pretty much useless...the distortion was awful. Good Luck!

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”