no lights

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
re774c
Motorcycle: 1989Aspencade GL1500

no lights

Postby re774c » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:52 am

Got up to ride the bike to work and none of the lights work. Started fine but no lights. Any suggestions?
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

Re: no lights

Postby Dogsled » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:04 am

put your finger behind the starter button and pull out on it. See if your lights come on
"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Postby Placerville » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:51 pm

re774c wrote:Got up to ride the bike to work and none of the lights work. Started fine but no lights. Any suggestions?
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Yes. Go directly to your fuses. You've either got one (or two) that have blown or, you've got a wiring connector that's loose or corroded. Do you have a users manual? Reference it for trouble shooting 'Lighting'.

By the way, the comment above regarding the starter button is valid for very early GL's. The headlight circuit (only) goes through the starter button, to the ignition switch then to the headlight. The button assembly often corrodes and will not provide current to the headlight. However, I'm not sure that this is applicable to your '89 especially since you said that, "...none of the lights work." This, to me, indicates a different electrical issue. I'm sure you'll find the fault in a fuse or a connector.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:00 pm

Hey Placerville I don't disagree with you......but it is easy to flick the button back and maybe solve the problem.

I have a late 90's GL 1500 SE, how that's valid to earlier than an 89.....don't know, never question the quirky wing
My incident came in the middle of the night at a rest stop. When you start a bike the lights go out to put all the power to the starter and the least drainr on the battery. A quick flick can't hurt anything....

I just hope we hear back as to what the real problem was and is.....I keep a book for situations on the road like this and would nave be amazed at something simple and new.

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Postby Placerville » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:11 pm

Got it. I thought that by '89 that Honda would have fixed their cranky starter button but, it appears that's not the case. For re774c's '89 (and your's?), does the starter switch kill voltage to ALL of the lights or just the headlight? (On my '76 it's just the headlight.)
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:47 pm

Start your bike and you can see what's killed. Look on the dash, my bike started and ran, I just had zero lights... I think everybike that has an electric starter killed all the juice to start the bike......

Here's a question to ask you. If you have aftermarket aux. headlids and LEDS you installed.....lets say a GPS and at least one other thing...would your bike have enough juice to start? Somebody may want to start calculating numbers as far as battery draw goes but who really looks at these numbers in the general population of the one web site alone......

I have several powerports and only one not on a really so I can get numbers on my stopped time. minimal draw but it has to be calculated as you add all the farkles Cyclemax and the LED sites offer.....

forget all that, I just say look at the easiest repair possible. I don't discount anything. I just started at the easiest.

Alternator output is the key....personally I won't run anything but a Ken Hemming STOCK OUTPUT. Why, I don't know, Honda wiring carries power to supply OEM max potential..........

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”