CB antenna grounding plate

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
HeyBerg1
Motorcycle: 1994 GL 1500 A
1986 Yamaha Virago VT 700 SOLD
2014 Timeout ION Trailer

CB antenna grounding plate

Postby HeyBerg1 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:20 pm

Hi Folks, I'm new to this and my wing and have a question if someone out there can give me answer to it. I purchased and installed a used CB radio and antenna on my 94 GL1500 A wing and it has a grounding plate that I can't see how it fits inside the place it's supposed to go. I know it attaches where the studs of the antenna come through the side of the trunk that's made for the antenna but I've attached photos to show there's no room that I can see. To solve my grounding problem I've attached an electrical wire to the bottom stud of the antenna and wired it to a ground screw on the frame. The CB works and I guess it'd work better if I had a SWR meter on it to get the right reading on it for better reception. I've added a photo showing the grounding plate laying flat but is not attached to anything just to show the plate itself. I appreciate any and all help. Thanks, Berg

Stud area where ground plate should go

Ground plate laying flat with white wire for ground
Ground plate laying flat with white wire for ground

Attachments
Do I have the wrong grounding plate
Do I have the wrong grounding plate

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Re: CB antenna grounding plate

Postby Uncle Fester » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:29 pm

Don't drive yourself nuts trying to get 1:1 swr on a 'Wing, it will change everytime you ride, passenger, no passenger, pack on back seat, no pack on back seat, flag on flag pole, no flag, ect ect ect. . . . .if it is receiving and transmitting good, leave it as these cbs are not good for much more than line of sight, maybe a bit more.
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

HeyBerg1
2014 Timeout ION Trailer

Postby HeyBerg1 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:36 pm

Thanks for the reply. I just thought I needed to have it grounded and maybe I've done that with the electrical wire I've attached. Yes, it does receive and transmit. I'm not going to worry about it at this point. Have a great evening.

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:41 pm

No problems at all, thats what this site is for, to help each other. . . .
Will the grounding wire help ? Yes
Alot ? Debatable, but a little help is better than none.

Enjoy your 'Wing and just for info, I only use my CB as a scanner of sorts, to listen to truckers on the open road, if then.
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:11 am

The ground plate goes inside the trunk , left side, forward corner.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:16 am

Just a couple points here
1. Post above shows the installation of the plate. However your ground wire will work also.
2. Tuning the SWR has nothing to do with the receive on your CB. It has everything to do w/how well(far) your transmit.
Yes there will be slight changes in the ratio as one or two or whatever changes on the bike. But, one should tune the SWR to the lowest ration you can get on the channel you intend to use the most. Line of sight is not correct, at least in my experience. Those that I have tuned achieve anywhere from a couple miles to 5 even 6 miles depending on the atmospheric conditions present.
You will recieve from much greater distances that you can transmit to because of much more powerful units out there, Especially base stations.

HeyBerg1
2014 Timeout ION Trailer

Postby HeyBerg1 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:36 am

Thank you to all who responded to my question. I appreciate it so very much. MikeB that picture is worth a thousand words as I never received an explanation of where that grounding plate went. As I've been reading many of the posts on this site I can't tell you how thankful I am because of it and it's many members. Ride Safe!!

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:46 am

1. Post above shows the installation of the plate. However your ground wire will work also.

That picture is worth a thousand words or more, THANKS FOR POSTING IT !

2. Tuning the SWR has nothing to do with the receive on your CB. It has everything to do w/how well(far) your transmit.
Yes there will be slight changes in the ratio as one or two or whatever changes on the bike. But, one should tune the SWR to the lowest ration you can get on the channel you intend to use the most. Line of sight is not correct, at least in my experience. Those that I have tuned achieve anywhere from a couple miles to 5 even 6 miles depending on the atmospheric conditions present.

This is all very true, and what I was TRYING ( guess I didn't do so well) to get across, yes, set the SWRs, but don't drive your self nuts trying to get the perfect 1:1 ratio as it will change some with every ride.

You will recieve from much greater distances that you can transmit to because of much more powerful units out there, Especially base stations.

This is correct, and in my defense, I ride in Oklahoma, Texas, and Kansas mostly, so line of sight CAN be as much as 3-5 miles , so we are both right here ! LOL

Thank you for helping to clear up what I could not post right !

HeyBerg1
2014 Timeout ION Trailer

Postby HeyBerg1 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:18 pm

Hi all,
The antenna grounding plate has been installed in the correct place and I've added some arm rests while I had it all apart. I don't know why but I feel better knowing that grounding plate is installed correctly.
Thank you all for your input,
Berg

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”